Old 06-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #1

Pros and Cons of FR 25RL

I am new to 5th wheels and like the Forest River 25RL but it looks like it was discontinued in 2010-2011. That worries me. Was it an issue with the trailer or just did not sell well? We like the opposing slides in the Living area. Any advice from current or past owners? Also I want/need to have a dirt bike hitch on the back that would be about 350 lbs total (bike and hitch and rack). Can you do that with this 5th wheel? Any other 5th wheels that are short (less than 30 feet total length) that you recommend that have opposing slide outs?

This is my first post so please educate me if I did anything wrong in the post.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:17 PM   #2

The wife and I are looking at the Flagstaff superlite 526RLWS

Flagstaff Super Lite Travel Trailers / Fifth Wheels by Forest River RV
or its Twin in Rockwood

http://www.forestriverinc.com/produc...elID=2174#Main

opposing slides in the living area and under 30 ft

Old 06-08-2016, 02:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
The wife and I are looking at the Flagstaff superlite 526RLWS

Flagstaff Super Lite Travel Trailers / Fifth Wheels by Forest River RV
or its Twin in Rockwood

Rockwood Ultra Lite Travel Trailers / Fifth Wheels by Forest River RV

opposing slides in the living area and under 30 ft
Thank you. I will check that out and I see you have the same truck we most likely will buy Ram 2500 diesel. How do you like yours? Did you get the 5th wheel prep package from RAM? Our only requirement is we want the bench seat in the front.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ2021 View Post
Thank you. I will check that out and I see you have the same truck we most likely will buy Ram 2500 diesel. How do you like yours? Did you get the 5th wheel prep package from RAM? Our only requirement is we want the bench seat in the front.
We have the 6.4 hemi gas which we really like. Our truck sits a lot so we didn't want to go diesel for that reason. Other than that, we are really happy with the truck. (put 4200 miles on it in last 2 weeks, yellowstone and back)

We do have the fifth wheel prep package on ours. Make sure you get the tow mirrors as well.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
We have the 6.4 hemi gas which we really like. Our truck sits a lot so we didn't want to go diesel for that reason. Other than that, we are really happy with the truck. (put 4200 miles on it in last 2 weeks, yellowstone and back)

We do have the fifth wheel prep package on ours. Make sure you get the tow mirrors as well.
Wow learning lots from you. So it is bad to have a diesel sitting? Ours will not get used every day or in some cases every week. Did you get the dual alternators? And what rear end do you have? I am hoping to get by with the 3.42 rear gears rather than the 3.73 since our 5th wheel will be light (less than 11K lbs fully loaded.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:07 AM   #6

the diesel thing is just something I have been told. I am sure it can be debated, but since I have never had a diesel, i figured that I should listen to someone.

I have the 3.73 and it runs fine for me.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:09 PM   #7

Slightly different situation but we have a Lexington 283GTS motorhome with opposing slides in the front. We love it. Absolutely amazing how much living space it gives in 28'. We comfortably spent two months in it in Florida last winter. Good luck!

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
nights camped 2015-89
2016 - 31
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #8

Check with builder before adding anything to the rear of a TT or 5er. Even more important on 'lite' models as 1 major way to save weight is in the frame. My 5er is NOT a lite model and has a slide out bike carrier/tray under the rear and it is marked no more than 200#.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #9

I have a 2010 Wildcat 25RL and other than the typical issues that RV's experience it has been ok. We also bought it because of the opposing slides which take the 25RL's convenient length and makes it much more spacious. We do not regret this choice.

For your second question regarding a motorcycle rack, it can be done. I have a motorcycle rack installed on a 2" receiver. This receiver was a factory option but not meant to handle a motorcycle's weight...probably just a bike rack etc. But I took the 5W to a well established local hitch shop and they modified and reinforced it to be able to handle up to 500#. My Honda scooter weighs 309# and the motorcycle rack I chose weighs about 100# for a combined 409# and works well. Nothing that $$ and the will can't make happen.