Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2014, 11:09 PM   #1

Question Purchasing 1st RV

We are interested in the Wildcat Maxx T27RLS. Having looked at several others, what makes people decide on the trailer or RV they choose? Any helps, ideas or suggestions appreciated.
wogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:18 PM   #2

I had only two requirements first it had to be a fifth wheel second it had to be at or about 30ft long.

Biggest selling point was when I saw that the microwave had a button that said "pop corn".
Old 02-14-2014, 11:18 PM   #3

Question Purchasing 1st RV

We have a 2012 Suburban and are looking to purchase a T27RLS Wildcat Maxx Travel Trailer, but are wondering if it will tow okay. The manual, dealers (both car and trailer) say yes, just curious if anyone else has opinions.
We looked at several different ones before choosing this one and are also wondering how others chose the RV they have.

Thank you to any/all for taking time to help with these questions.
wogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:40 PM   #4

We went thru all versions....bumper tow, fifth wheel, class a.....lost a bunch of $$$$ getting to what we have now...bought each brand new and traded up.....wish I would have gone to the diesel pusher to start......but live and learn.....probably could not of afforded it anyway at the time.....we love our diesel pusher more than anything we have ever camped in and will never go back. Only thing we may do is go to a 36 instead of the 40 we have now.........but no hurry. Whatever you choose just HAVE FUN, that's the point right......
gmcnitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:33 AM   #5

1. will your vehicle tow it .
2. floor plan that you want
3. will you be comfortable when your stuck inside for a couple of days when it rains
4. Does the wife like it because if mamma ain't happy nobody is
5. Check company out that makes it good or bad Rep.
6. Check dealer out for same.
7. Some dealers will let you try trailers out for the weekend (test drive)
Could go on but the main thing is make sure you feel good about this purchase because it's a big investment. Try a rental first if this is your first rv and make sure you are going to like traveling like this.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:40 AM   #6

DH began by reading forums on various RV sites, then looked at the tow vehicles needed to pull the trailers...we knew we wanted a TT rather than a fifth wheel...he knew what he wanted in a TV based on year round use, not just pulling the TT. He studied the specs and read all the information and opinions he could find, and then did the math. I, on the other hand, studied floor plans, read RV blogs and remembered what I would have liked to have had in our 1st TT 30 years ago. Before we even went to look at the first trailer on a dealer's lot, I knew exactly what I wanted...NO slides, front bedroom, rear kitchen, no longer than 26', aluminum siding on wood frame with wood floor. DH wanted to look at V Lites. Hmph. Well, we could at least look and compare, that way he would be happy with the one we ended up getting. What we ended up getting was a 30', front kitchen V-Lite, with bedroom and living area slides. Slides mean comfortable living space. Lite means fiberglass on aluminum frame. Reasons? We looked at several trailers, including my choice...a great trailer, by the way, .... for 20 years ago. The front kitchen V-Lite felt like "home" as soon as we walked in...the more we looked at it, the more we liked it. Several things we planned on adding later turned out to be standard on the rig. DH looked it over, looking for any of the "flaws" he had read about with fiberglass "lites". I still gawk at the length when we hook up to go anywhere, but because she's a Lite, she happens to meet the weight requirement of our TV despite the length, slides and options. And, it still feels like "home" whenever we are out with it. We have had no serious problems in two years, have traveled through 18 states with it, and have stayed in at least 14 of those states...sometimes as long as a month and often for two to three weeks. Whether sight seeing, visiting family or just traveling through, every night felt the same. "Ahhh...we're home". ....we've also used her as a nice "motel suite" for visiting family with small children. It gave them privacy when they felt like it, their own bathroom and kitchen, with running water, refrigerator and microwave for snacks and drinks for themselves and the children, and when they were rested and ready to visit, it was only 25 feet from "their" front door to ours.

2012 V Lite 30WFKSS
2011 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
WWTTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:57 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogg View Post
We have a 2012 Suburban and are looking to purchase a T27RLS Wildcat Maxx Travel Trailer, but are wondering if it will tow okay. The manual, dealers (both car and trailer) say yes, just curious if anyone else has opinions.
first mistake, believing dealers. unless you have the 3/4 ton version of the Burb, this is too much trailer for the 1/2 ton version.

i have an '07 Avalanche, the same as the Burb but with a pickup bed. i do have the 4 spd. trans, so my towing capacity is a little less, at 7200lbs.
your biggest problem will be payload capacity, adding your family, stuff and the hitch weight of close to 1000lbs. loaded.
and that trailer will easily weigh around 7000lbs., from the factory. don't believe the fictional "dry" weight number, look for the yellow sticker on the trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
We are waiting for delivery of our first (of any kind of trailer) fifth wheel. It's a Wildcat 282RKX. When we decided we wanted to try camping we went to several online forums and ended up here.

After researching the parent company and the very positive reviews we read about the 2013 rally in Indiana we knew it would be a Forest River product.

Then we went to the Hershey show and got trailer overload. We made the decision to look further into the Wildcat line. Knowing what our TV was capable of we made an appointment to visit the Wildcat factory in October. After a very up close and almost hands on tour we were sold.

Not wanting to take delivery of our unit during the winter months here in N.E. Ohio we waited until late January to order it. Time will tell if we did our homework well.
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I had only two requirements first it had to be a fifth wheel second it had to be at or about 30ft long.

Biggest selling point was when I saw that the microwave had a button that said "pop corn".
There is no nutritional value from pop corn.... it get stuck in your teeth and acts as an intestinal cleanser. Happy colon....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:18 PM   #10

Hi Cover Dog, we have a 2013-312BHX and tow with a Ford 250 diesel. It was great from the get go. With one season under our belt I am counting the days until we taking it out again. Read multiple areas if this forum, there are folks with years of experience to learn from. Happy camping!!!
Old 02-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #11

We knew what we wanted from the floor plan shown on line of an Ebay auction. I can honestly say we never looked at a Wildcat until we saw this online floorplan. Up to this point we were looking at high end 5th wheels with MSRPs of $80K. But after doing a lot of online research we noticed that a number of the higher dollar 5th wheels looked to have more complaints. And a large number of the complaints were with major issues.
Once we looked at the Wildcat it was apparent that bang for the buck this was it. When you add in the fact that the floor plan suited us perfect it was a no brainer.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote