Old 03-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #31
Anacortesians

I'm sure we'll do less miles than we had originally planned, maybe staying two nights more often.

In todays UK Daily Telegraph, they were lamenting the current UK gas prices. The exchange rate is running a bit under $1.60 to the £, which affects the conversion quite a bit, compared to last summer when it was up around $1.90 (it affects our UK pensions too!)

They're quoting £1.334 a litre for gas and £1.447 for diesel. This translates to $8.05/US gallon for unleaded and $8.73/USG for diesel. The tax per gallon is up around $5.50, so their before tax price is a good bit less than ours. This time last year, the price for unleaded was less than £1.00 per litre, so it's up 33%. Of course their tax goes up with the raw price, whereas ours doesn't (at least in Washington).

You can see why a Honda Civic is a medium-size family car over there! Even the Kia Optima only comes with a 1.7L, 4-cylinder turbo-diesel instead of the 3.5 gas V-6 we get.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:55 AM   #32
Site Team

Gas is up to $4.41 a gallon at my local gas station. With the rising gas prices among with other price increases I'm starting to rethink some of my summer plans. I might possibly cut down on the traveling mileage or cut out a trip or two.

I have plans for El Capitain SB (North of Santa Barbara CA) but might switch to a local campground here and save the gas money for summer or fall. Being in Southern California I can camp year-around since there's no snow.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:40 AM   #33

I think that people are still going to travel but making shorter trips but when it comes to heavy duty trucks, campers and motor homes there is nothing you can do about the gas milage that will make a big difference, the only thing is to add more money for fuel in your budget and consolidate your trips to the store, beach and site seeing while on vacation and if you want to be a real nice camper you could always ask you nabor in the site next to you if they need somethig while you are out and about.

I believe it is time to really try to put out our best foot foreward and help one another, it seems like life changes every 24 hours of the day.

Happy Camping............
Old 03-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #34
Site Team

rockwood06

I like your sugestions. A little kindness & thoughtfullness can go a long way.

As for cutting the cost of gas usage I do try to schedule errands together when possible but there is only so much that can be cut. I'm living on a modest income so RVing can add up real fast. Don't get the wrong impression - its in my blood and I love it!

Most likely I will cut out the trip to Santra Barbara and reschedule it when I can get more mileage out of the mileage (longer trip or road trip) instead of driving 180 miles each way for a weekend trip. The reason for this trip was so that I don't go two months without getting out. I may save my funds for another trip later on.

Either way it's time to put my budget back on a diet again.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #35
(Kim)

When I look at how far we have to drive to camp, I do a simple calculation I have figured out for our towing situation and gas prices; it costs approx $1 per mile, return trip, so if the CG is 400miles away, gas will be about $400 total.
This of course is not 100% exact, but it helps to estimate costs quickly.
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #36

Personally what I have done is create a sub savings account (Camping Fund) at the bank. With each direct deposite pay check a set amount is placed in this account to use for camping trips. I find that if the amount is taken right off the top and not placed in my checking I won't need it for other expenses. I have done this for the last couple years and it is amazing how rapidly the balance grows (especially during the off camping season). I have enough to cover not only the reservation costs but enough for gas and groceries.

Now if only I can get the MN DNR to get their state park camping reservation web site open (Crashed march 1, 2012). I could use some of that saved money to make a reservation.

Maybe I should start another thread on the MN State Park website issue???
Old 03-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #37

I don't plan to cut down on our camping ,I'm cutting down on my driving during the week by peddling my butt to work and letting the truck sit. It's only 6 miles one way and it's better for me, helps me get ready for that marathon in the fall I want to run. 53 years young and still going strong
Nites Camped in 2011:32 Nites Planned in 2012:35
Nites Camped in 2012:23
abrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Gas is up to $4.41 a gallon at my local gas station. With the rising gas prices among with other price increases I'm starting to rethink some of my summer plans. I might possibly cut down on the traveling mileage or cut out a trip or two.
We are paying $6.27a gallon for Supreme gas in NB Canada (east coast ) which is always up hill both ways for hauling. I've located a great campground which is 1 hour away from my home and is on a beautiful lake. 15$ a night. Don't want to tow it home and back again - move it to the overflow parking lot and come back the next weekend. Yearly lot fee 365$. Power sewage included.
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #39
Grape Escape

Funny when I read about high fuel prices and cutbacks. Every time we go camping there is someone that seems to joyride continually thru the campground. Imagine they don't worry about fuel costs so why start now. Can't even walk to the comfort station.
Then there are others that insist on towing at 65-70 mph. Simple solution is to slow down to 60 max. Most should see significant fuel savings
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #40
JAYCO Representative

Seems like there's been a little break on rising costs...
Lower Gas Costs to Spur Memorial Day Travel | RV Business

How has it affected your camping plans so far? Or has it?

Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extralite, gas, led pad, price, sterling, wildcat