Old 02-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #11
My 5 major wants were:
1. A back living room, easier to watch TV straight on instead of getting a neck cramp trying to watch on the side of the seating area.
2. Inside storage that is easy to use and doors that stay open without the use of your head.
3. Pullout shelves in the kitchen cabinets (pantry).
4. Drawers in the master bedroom for clothes.
5. Place to put a small safe for important papers.

nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:58 AM   #12
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Well, most of the items have been mentioned-------

!. Put in a workable good stove with a oven that works right as yours does at home. Pilot light that is battery controlled, easy to light without having to mod it yourself!!!!!!

2. Microwave with convection.

3. Better air condition ducts that will deliver cool air even with a 15K AC.

4. The window problem has been corrected with the new windows.

5. Upgrade all towable TT/5Th wheels over 26 FT to 50 AMPS.

Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
DAISY BOYKIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:34 AM   #13
Well I got most of my must haves in the new rig we bought the year.
1) Side bath - always hated having shower and sink in the bedroom.
2) Side opening basement doors, instead of overhead - never figured out how someone could design an overhead door under a slide.
3) Jack stabilizers - don't like all the movement. If I wanted to rock & roll all night, would have bought a boat.
4) More counter space - it is agrivating to have to put the coffee pot in the bedroom and the toaster in the living room, because there is no counter space in the kitchen.
5) Dual A/C - enough said.

These were the minimum requirements in our new coach. The only thing I had on my list that did not come on the new unit, that I really wanted was auto-leveling. But, having read a lot of these forums it appears that this product still has bugs to be worked out. What has been an expected product in motorhomes is in it's infancy in the fifth wheel market. Give it a couple of years, they will figure it out.
2011 Ram Truck 2500, Crew Cab, 6.7L CTD, 4X4, 3.73 Rear
PapaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:03 AM   #14
Slide awnings are a must have. Rear ladder. Steps that reach the ground and do not have to purchase a step stool in order to get to the first step.
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:45 AM   #15
Wanna Be Camper
Our list:
#1 (and this is a show stopper without it) Bedroom slide and not the little
wardrobe slide. The bed must be on a slide.
#2 rear living room with the entertainment system located where the TV is easily seen especially from the recliners like our V-Lite. I hate the units where they make you look off to the side to see the TV and walk right back out without even looking at anything else when we see that.
#3 Good quality recliners
#4 Good quality LED lighting
#5 As has been mentioned better quality tires that are 1 load range above the min they can get away with.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #16
all above ideas are all great, I would like my 31TS to have all indepent slide controll. like mentioned would be nice to open one or do a partial open at the rest area, battery disconnect, built inn generator
Denny in Los Lunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #17
1) Outside kitchen is a MUST have
2) More outlets on the outside of the camper
3) More counter space, although this would take away space from other areas
4) Better A/C flow
5) I'd have to consult my DH for other suggestions on structure, etc. Mine are just "creature comforts"
2012 Rockwood 8293RKSS
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbodiesel 4x4; 2012 Ford Escape 4x4. 3 very pampered cats.
Days camped: 2011: 61; 2012: 66 Days; 2013: 69;2014: 68 2015: 90 Days camped 2016: 34
trudinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #18
must have a bedroom slide (see Sasks #1) its ours also-
a washer/dryer hook up.
larger fresh and grey tanks
if a 5th wheel a way to have a bike rack
better microwave
lots of usable storage- the closet/bedroom in our V-Lite is awesome! a great bedroom layout- (I'll give a shout out to Karl Miller for that!)
eliminate trailer movement- stronger frames- better jacks

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
All of these suggestions should not add to the length or much to the weight of a particular model trailer:

1. A stout sewer hose bumper. Why manfacturers are going with those flimsy plastic rear "protusions" is anybodies guess.....what are they thinking ??? The bumper is a perfect place to store the sewer hoses, and if stout enough to carry the spare tire instead of sticking that under the tongue or elsewhere. We have a sewer hose bumper.

2. Compartment doors that are as big as the compartment. To many times I see huge storage compartments that have tiny doors. Thank goodness we have the big doors.

3. Water heater as near the faucets as possible. A water heater stuck at the opposite end of a trailer causes a lot of wasted water. I will sometimes capture the cold water to flush my toilet. In our camper, I don't see many other placement possibilities, so I know that request is an engineering nightmare.

4. Slides that do not impinge on the use of the camper in the closed position.....that is a biggie for us. Too many times, you can't get to the fridge or bathroom, or you gotta squeeze by the slide to get to something. I went to a dealer in PA. to look at a particular model that we thought would fit our needs before we bought our current camper. Looked great with the slide out, but when I asked the guy to close the slide, that camper was no longer on our list.....that puppy took up a lot of room. 1 reason we love our camper is that we only loose 2 small cabinets with the slide in, and everything else is usable.....and we do.

5. The dinette and sofa should be across from each other instead of side by side. We have entertained up to 7 people in our small camper, and everyone can face everyone else without excess turning in their seats. I can't imagine how you can do that when the sofa and dinette are side by side.

I know I can only suggest 5 items, but torsion axles over the spring and shackle setup is a big plus.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #20
Must Have #3: A decent kitchen area. When we spend a month or more at one RV park we (ok my wife) cooks a lot. She likes to have counter space to prepare meals. We both want two electrical outlets in the kitchen area. That way we can leave the toaster and coffee pot plugged in and still have a place to plug in a crockpot, mixer, etc. I am amazed at the number of fifth wheel models on the market that only have one electrical outlet in the kitchen. Designers of trailers should go home and ask their wife to use only one outlet in the kitchen for the next week and then ask her how that worked out. This has been a deal breaker for us in the past.

Must Have #4: Access to the refrigerator when the slides are closed.

Must Have #5: Large waste water capacity. This was a deal breaker on a fifth wheel that I wanted early last year. Most RV sites in Missouri and Illinois state parks and COE campgrounds offer electric only sites. The larger the waster water capacity, the longer I can stay at the site. And no, I don’t want to mess with a Blue Tote. Kudos to Wildcat for the large holding tanks they offer on their units. At the price point of a Wildcat, I think they must lead the industry in this area.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote

extralite, fifth wheel, forest river, sterling, wildcat