Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #41
Current River Rat

Sorry, I'm from the Grey Wolf on order group :-}. My main comment: Get Rid Of The Cheap Tires!!! Come on, really nice TT with junk tires? "Everything" rides on the tires. So the price goes up $50 or $100 bucks. All of us will gladly pay for GOOD tires. When I realized what tires are on my "ordered" Grey Wolf my first stop will be the tire shop to get them Off My Trailer. If Forest River as a whole wants to be moved up a notch in respect, just do this one thing.
I will also second the battery disconnect switch. What a very basic need on a camper.
I will applaud the availability and pricing of the second year warranty. Very nice. Even though a lot of dealers keep it to themselves.
I've seen some comments on things that relate directly to floor plans and fully understand trying to fit several needs and wants for the buying public. We picked ours out at the St. Louis RV Show since we were able to do immediate comparisons right there. Some had very good layouts and some were just plain, " I don't get it". Floor plans are probably the primary consideration on picking one. For me anyway. Thanks for asking and "Where's my new trailer?" Not too impatient, am I!!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #42

1-Better tires
2-Microwave located at a lower level, not everyone is tall
3-Good workmanship
4-Great dealer and factory service
5-Getting to use our trailer more often
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #43
JAYCO Representative

Talking Flux capacitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood Danny View Post
5-Getting to use our trailer more often
Haha. Sorry, that's not something I can supply from the factory. We have been looking at a time machine option -- would that help?
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #44
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Chris View Post
Haha. Sorry, that's not something I can supply from the factory. We have been looking at a time machine option -- would that help?
Heh...I heard that the price of Flux Capacitors put that option out of range!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #45
PINTO

Lots of good comments. Add one more: A switch on a seperate recepticle outside for the awning lights. A MUST HAVE for me is the outdoor kitchen. Would love to see a toy hauler without the generator and fuel tanks with a outdoor kitchen to haul electric golf cart camping.
Chevy 3500 LT Dually
Kpinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #46

Just to repeat the important ones to me that have been posted, some I have with my current TT and love them:

1. Stronger bumper for bike racks and my sewer hose must fit inside (DUH).

2. Exterior compartment doors that match the size of the compartment.

3. Compartment containing water filter, fresh water fill, city water connection, black flush connecter, clearly marked dump handle markings, etc.

4. Battery shutoff. (I added)

5. Access to bathroom and frig with slide closed. (I have)

6. Decent tires.

7. Pullout shelves in the kitchen cabinets (pantry).

8. Drawers in the master bedroom for clothes.

9. Rear Ladder. (I have)

10. Electric jacks and awning. (I have)

11. Tinted windows. (I have)

12. Large dual grey water tanks so I don't have to dump them in the woods (j/k), I mean at the dump station before I'm ready to break camp. (I have)
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

For a 5th wheel, it would be nice to have some options available for the pin box. Choices between standard, Reese Revolution, Mor/ryde or Rotoflex for example.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #48

As an order out unit I can see the draw in flexibility in pin boxes. For the record Wildcat did try that a few years ago and what we found with retail demand was that the standard was most popular. After talking to most of the dealers they felt the aftermarket was probably best suited for this kind of feature. What we found was really two reasons. Customers didn't want to up charge for it at time of ordering. The second reason was that they didn't know which one to buy as so many hitches had features that were so different. Not against the idea but after two years of optioning them we went back to the hitch we currently have and surprisingly no request have come up for it again..

FYI

Team Wildcat

Tomcat
TomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat View Post
. Not against the idea but after two years of optioning them we went back to the hitch we currently have and surprisingly no request have come up for it again..

FYI

Team Wildcat

Tomcat

Until now.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #50

I assure you of you would like it I would gladly make it an option for you. Let me know when anyone wants to order one and we would be happy to help you. I only wanted everyone to know we did try this and it didn't go far that's all... I really do like the ideas and want them flowing so thank you in advance and heck maybe we should try it again...

Tomcat
Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #51

1. Better tires
2. Push button set up (tongue, jacks, awning)
3. Microwave/convection get rid of biscuit burner
4. Tinted windows w adequate cooling (a/c)
5. Washer/dryer hook up

6. Gas discount card. Lol.
Ft W crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #52

Forest River has been quite good to adopt certain RV innovations, even simple things like roof gutter extensions. But, communications is not the company's strong suite. I agree with those who say the owner's manual is very poor and skimpy. Customer service is also something not found in the company's DNA. I can understand giving the dealer network that responsibility, but what I don't understand is obviously not educating the dealer to perform that function. For example, we shopped at one dealership and listened to the owner brag that the Forest River fiver I was looking over came with 50 amp standard. He said that while I was looking at a 30 amp cable nicely coiled in a storage bay.

What too many companies fail to realize, including Forest River, is that us plain old customers are profit and everyone in manufacturing, sales and service is overhead.
Westernflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #53

I would i would like to break down your post if that's ok....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernflyer
Forest River has been quite good to adopt certain RV innovations, even simple things like roof gutter extensions."

Thanks for the complements but I really think that our customers drive the majority of our innovations. I have been with Forest River since the day it opened and one of many things I take away from it is that we talk to our customers. Some good stories and yes some bad. But when there is an issue we have always tried to make it right.

"But, communications is not the company's strong suite."...Customer service is also something not found in the company's DNA."

I assure you there is not another RV company that works more rv shows with retail customers and has more dealer input and customer care after the sale in this business. We offer free Coach net, multi year warranties, ad multi million dollar pdi centers that is only at forest river. We have the largest customer care centers in the industry by product line. Most other rv companies have a rep that covers multiple brands and are not a master of their product. Wildcat for instance has wildcat warranty people and parts people dedicated just for Wildcat. We have a true brick and mortar service center and our people are here on the ground to help. Not some calling center...

Fact is I am proud to say we have won multiple awards in service and as the parent company forest river had started up new rv divisions they too benefit from our award wining service as we have helped guid them in winning tradition.

"I agree with those who say the owner's manual is very poor and skimpy. "

I don't have much to disagree here we are working on options on this, " nuff said.

"I can understand giving the dealer network that responsibility, but what I don't understand is obviously not educating the dealer to perform that function. For example, we shopped at one dealership and listened to the owner brag that the Forest River fiver I was looking over came with 50 amp standard. He said that while I was looking at a 30 amp cable nicely coiled in a storage bay."

Ok this has always been a tough one. I assure you all the forest river reps for their prospective brands train train train. We know knowledge is power. We all have trained our dealer networks multiple times. Yes salespeople make mistakes and yes there are times they are wrong with features at times, but I don't think it's done on purpose. Some of the dealers have multiple lines and they can get confused. One point to that is the brochure, we work really hard on that. The wildcat brochure for instance ...this is a book. We try to supply as much information as possible. That being said I also know there are times that a salesman might say the wrong thing trying to get a sale. For that I'm sorry. That's not the rule and I assure you the vast majority are great honest people.

Now I know that has happened when I went to a major electronics retailer when they gave me the wrong info and I know the real deal... I guess all I'm saying is that can happen and you need to decide who you trust and purchase from them as they will ultimately be the one you directly deal with for the sale or service.

"What too many companies fail to realize, including Forest River, is that us plain old customers are profit and everyone in manufacturing, sales and service is overhead.
"

Rest assured it is you the customer we value and understand that to a core. I can tell you when I walk the line or go through our QC audits I bring up you the customer every tine saying the customer is picking us over all these other brands and we must do it better. We understand this is a discretionary purchase and we are thankful and value you.

If there is anything else I can do to change your thoughts on any of this please PM me and I will do what I can to help you.

Team wildcat

Tomcat
Old 02-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat View Post
As an order out unit I can see the draw in flexibility in pin boxes. For the record Wildcat did try that a few years ago and what we found with retail demand was that the standard was most popular. After talking to most of the dealers they felt the aftermarket was probably best suited for this kind of feature. What we found was really two reasons. Customers didn't want to up charge for it at time of ordering. The second reason was that they didn't know which one to buy as so many hitches had features that were so different. Not against the idea but after two years of optioning them we went back to the hitch we currently have and surprisingly no request have come up for it again..

FYI

Team Wildcat

Tomcat
I was certainly thinking of this on a factory order only. As far as additional cost, if it's a factory option, you only pay the price difference between the std pin box and the optional pin box. Some manufacturers have switched away from the standard pin box in favor of a non-rigid attachment such as Trail Air or Mor/ryde. I've yet to read anything negative about this pin boxes and how they can reduce the incidence of 'chucking'. I'd certainly would have considered the Mor/ryde or RotoFlex as a option. Buying one aftermarket at $699+ makes me hesitate.

I recall that the Reese Sidewinder or Revolution pin box has been offered as a factory installed option on Rockwood/Flagstaff the past 2 years as the majority tow with short box TV's. I undertand that this pin box is now standard equipment on them.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #55

I don't have a fifth wheel but I would love to see Forest River come out with actual how-to manuals. Give me the steps on taking care of my trailer. I have a HHT, so have a manual that shows were things are located, how to take care of the canvas ends etc. But there could be manuals that run across all types like useing and taking care of the fridge, the sewer, winterization, dewinterization, the roof, the converter boxes, the pipes, etc. Then have type specific for individual trailers. This is not a hard thing. I work in a office and have a manual that shows a person how to do the things I do, that way when I win the lottery I can just walk away.......
2004 Dodge Ram 1500

2 kids, 2 Grandsons, 1 Granddaughter, 3 fur babies
Lifetimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetimer View Post
I don't have a fifth wheel but I would love to see Forest River come out with actual how-to manuals. Give me the steps on taking care of my trailer. I have a HHT, so have a manual that shows were things are located, how to take care of the canvas ends etc. But there could be manuals that run across all types like useing and taking care of the fridge, the sewer, winterization, dewinterization, the roof, the converter boxes, the pipes, etc. Then have type specific for individual trailers. This is not a hard thing. I work in a office and have a manual that shows a person how to do the things I do, that way when I win the lottery I can just walk away.......

The lack of an owners manual has been one of my pet peeves. Oh sure, you are supplied with manuals for the appliances from those manufacturers, but nothing for the trailer itself. The information doesn’t even have to be in printed form, an owners manual on a CD is all that would be needed.

I think it’s interesting that you can buy a Chevy Cruze for $18,000 and you get a thick owners manual that tells you how to do the simplest of functions such as how to lock the doors, put the key in the ignition, how to fuel the car, etc. But you shell out $40,000 for a fifth wheel and you get nada, zip, nothing.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #57
JAYCO Representative

Wink Thanks for your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I was certainly thinking of this on a factory order only. As far as additional cost, if it's a factory option, you only pay the price difference between the std pin box and the optional pin box. Some manufacturers have switched away from the standard pin box in favor of a non-rigid attachment such as Trail Air or Mor/ryde. I've yet to read anything negative about this pin boxes and how they can reduce the incidence of 'chucking'. I'd certainly would have considered the Mor/ryde or RotoFlex as a option. Buying one aftermarket at $699+ makes me hesitate.

I recall that the Reese Sidewinder or Revolution pin box has been offered as a factory installed option on Rockwood/Flagstaff the past 2 years as the majority tow with short box TV's. I undertand that this pin box is now standard equipment on them.

Dave
Dave, like "Tomcat" said, we did indeed offer an alternate pin box option from the factory for years, so we're quite familiar with the benefits. In fact, we were one of the very first to offer the option. But consumers (and dealers) didn't option it frequently, even with the benefits, so that determined it's fate at the time. The vast majority of fifth wheels in Wildcat's price range and weight class use the Lippert 1621 extended pin box standard.

We very much remain open to customer feedback and seek to fulfill the needs of our customers by actually listening. I know that can seem like "sales speak" to say, but it's key to both Wildcat's and Forest River's success. We have a lot of "veteran" campers -- we know we aren't usually a customer's first RVing experience. The only way we've retained our mass appeal is by making sure we're in tune with our customer base. That's not to say we never make mistakes, but maybe less than the competition. And we certainly offer more new and innovative features and options by design. This forum has been another great resource for us, along with the input from our actual end-users, our dealer base, their sales people, and shows (lots and lots of time at shows!).

A side note: Wildcat, as a brand, is frequently looked at by both consumers AND suppliers to the RV industry as a place for the newest and best ideas in the entire industry. I know this because I used to supply the industry (and still have many friends on the supply side of this business). Things like the special pin boxes and suspension systems you mentioned saw first use with us. Just like today, where we're the only mid-profile fifth wheel to offering a true leveling system (Level Up 6-point hydraulic).

I'll be brining this up again when we discuss new features and options -- it may be time to re-evaluate. Thanks for your input!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:29 AM   #58

There is one thing that I don't think has been said.
How about a couple of 12 volt outlets??
So when you Boondock you can still use some appliances or charge your cell phone.
We have a Greywolf 26Rl and I have NO 12volt outlets......YET!!!! LOL
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #59
JAYCO Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance View Post
There is one thing that I don't think has been said.
How about a couple of 12 volt outlets??
So when you Boondock you can still use some appliances or charge your cell phone.
We have a Greywolf 26Rl and I have NO 12volt outlets......YET!!!! LOL
Wildcat has one...
Old 03-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #60

Also wildcat is thinking about putting one in the pass through storage area on the door side for an entertainment center hook up... Thoughts?

Thanks

Tomcat

Tags
extralite, fifth wheel, forest river, sterling, wildcat