Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat View Post
Also wildcat is thinking about putting one in the pass through storage area on the door side for an entertainment center hook up... Thoughts?

Thanks

Tomcat
To me that would have worked great for my 12v 22" flat screen to plug into too bad on my unit the door is not large with the drop like I have seen on other 25 RL's then I would be set.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #62

On the 17th of February I picked up a 2012 V-Cross 5th Wheel, my must haves, it is 32 feet long, 50 amp with 2 AC, one 15,000 and the bedroom has a 13,500. I live in SE Texas and this area gets hot! Bed is side to side with a slidout closet. Two TV's good sized one in kitchen/living area and a good sized one for the bedroom. Lots of tinted, frameless windows, I have 12 and they open it up and make it seem bigger.
Good luck!
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #63

Sounds like you have got a great set up. Congratulations and enjoy the forest river product! We thank you

Tomcat
TomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #64

So many good idea's

The ones I like are
  • The battery cutoff
  • DVD Manual for the different operations - I don't mind manual buy my wife better w/ pictures.
I've asked on differnt forums what is the standard Pin Box for the Wildcat and cannot seam to get an answer - I'm assuming it would different for each 5th wheel. I woulld have like to seen the Airride standard on the Longer 5th wheels 34+, would think they would be getting the most abuse. That is the one option I want to add when I get the trailer - but don't know what I have to replace just yet.

Rochester MN
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Short Bed
2013 Wildcat 344QB - Level-up, Demco Glide-ride
Jim_Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #65
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Pat View Post
The ones I like are
  • The battery cutoff
  • DVD Manual for the different operations - I don't mind manual buy my wife better w/ pictures.
I've asked on differnt forums what is the standard Pin Box for the Wildcat and cannot seam to get an answer - I'm assuming it would different for each 5th wheel. I woulld have like to seen the Airride standard on the Longer 5th wheels 34+, would think they would be getting the most abuse. That is the one option I want to add when I get the trailer - but don't know what I have to replace just yet.
there's a current Wildcat thread discussing the pin box brands and i think the reps said the Lippert is standard.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat View Post
Also wildcat is thinking about putting one in the pass through storage area on the door side for an entertainment center hook up... Thoughts?

Thanks

Tomcat
That's a great idea. That way the 12 volt cooler can live in the pass through. If 120 can be available that would be a bonus for battery charging etc.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #67

Battery shut off, good tires are the first things I do to our rigs. Or should I say, have to do to our rigs. No reason for the crappy tires...let alone tires and axels right near their max when fully loaded to GVWR.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is replacing the plastic inserts in the leaf springs with Bronze...wet bolts would be a bonus.

Lastly, not a must have, but ditch the cheap sink and faucets in the bathroom. Seriously...the Sterlings look beautiful and then you put the cheap crap in the bathroom. The faucets and sink look like what was put in our 2002 Wildwood.

Bob
Old 03-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #68
JAYCO Representative

Post Lippert 1621 extended pin box

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
there's a current Wildcat thread discussing the pin box brands and i think the reps said the Lippert is standard.
Standard pin box on Wildcat fifth wheels is the Lippert 1621 extended pin box.
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #69

Agreed with what most are suggesting for the must haves.

Also, how about Back Up lights (not just little reverse lights) on a camper? Not just so the driver can see better, but also for safety reasons.
L.Spicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #70

Brand Name Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Name brand tires instead of the cheesy things they come with. You have great looking wheels and a pretty good camper, but put the worst tires you can find.
I'm in full agreement here! I purchased a 25RL in Jan 2010, Last month I had two tires fail on the same day. Tread separation blew out the sidewall and the second I'm not sure but the tread was completely off before I could pull over on I 40. Demolished the plastic fender!

These are Chinese junk!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #71

I just installed an Intelijack Landing gear controller for our new Sabre Fifth wheel. For the money..I think it should be a std feature on all fifth wheels.

Next weekend I will install a battery cut off switch. As others have indicated this is an important feature for me.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #72

Our new fifth wheel satisfied all of the “must haves” plus a few other nice features.

1. I really like having the battery cut-off switch.
2. We have 2 A/C’s. In our neck of the woods it’s a must have for any trailer over 30 feet long and two or more slideouts.
3. A good kitchen area. Our Silverback has enough counterspace for the coffeepot and the toaster and still offers enough space for my wife to prepare meals. There are also three electrical outlets in the kitchen and a pot and pan drawer under the oven.
4. Access to the bathroom with the slideouts closed. Great for long travel days.
5. Access to the fridge with the slideouts closed. Great for making lunches on travel days.
6. Decent sized holding tanks. I really like the 66 gallon fresh water tank.

Other pluses of our new fifth wheel are a bathroom mirror that my 5 foot tall wife can see herself in. Some fifth wheels had a medicine chest with a mirror that was installed so high all she could see was the top of her head. Our bathroom already has the hardware installed. On our previous two Wildcats I had to do the installation of the towels rack, toilet paper holder, etc.

The create-a-breeze rain sensing fan with thermostat in the kitchen is really a nice feature too. I really, really like the wider entry door. There is only one switch to control all three slideouts but, in the central docking station there are valves that allow me to control which rooms open.

Also the landing gear switch is located in an area that is protected from the elements. Both propane bottles are on the passenger side of the trailer thus eliminating that RED regulator. The low point drains are located in an area that is very easy to access and doesn‘t require me to get on the ground.

My wife and I love the open floorplan in the living area. The lack of a center island or L shaped kitchen counter leaves plenty of open space and gives the fifth wheel the feel of a much bigger trailer. The cathedral ceilings in the slideouts add to the spacious effect.

Our fifth wheel also has a central vacuum system, electric fireplace, electric rear stabilizers, and an awning cover (NICE). I can see us keeping this trailer for a long time…or until I get that “itch” again.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman
Our new fifth wheel satisfied all of the “must haves” plus a few other nice features.

1. I really like having the battery cut-off switch.
2. We have 2 A/C’s. In our neck of the woods it’s a must have for any trailer over 30 feet long and two or more slideouts.
3. A good kitchen area. Our Silverback has enough counterspace for the coffeepot and the toaster and still offers enough space for my wife to prepare meals. There are also three electrical outlets in the kitchen and a pot and pan drawer under the oven.
4. Access to the bathroom with the slideouts closed. Great for long travel days.
5. Access to the fridge with the slideouts closed. Great for making lunches on travel days.
6. Decent sized holding tanks. I really like the 66 gallon fresh water tank.

Other pluses of our new fifth wheel are a bathroom mirror that my 5 foot tall wife can see herself in. Some fifth wheels had a medicine chest with a mirror that was installed so high all she could see was the top of her head. Our bathroom already has the hardware installed. On our previous two Wildcats I had to do the installation of the towels rack, toilet paper holder, etc.

The create-a-breeze rain sensing fan with thermostat in the kitchen is really a nice feature too. I really, really like the wider entry door. There is only one switch to control all three slideouts but, in the central docking station there are valves that allow me to control which rooms open.

Also the landing gear switch is located in an area that is protected from the elements. Both propane bottles are on the passenger side of the trailer thus eliminating that RED regulator. The low point drains are located in an area that is very easy to access and doesn‘t require me to get on the ground.

My wife and I love the open floorplan in the living area. The lack of a center island or L shaped kitchen counter leaves plenty of open space and gives the fifth wheel the feel of a much bigger trailer. The cathedral ceilings in the slideouts add to the spacious effect.

Our fifth wheel also has a central vacuum system, electric fireplace, electric rear stabilizers, and an awning cover (NICE). I can see us keeping this trailer for a long time…or until I get that “itch” again.
Sounds wonderful. What 5th did you purchase?
Old 04-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamarie View Post
Sounds wonderful. What 5th did you purchase?
We bought a Silverback 29RL by Cedar Creek.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman

We bought a Silverback 29RL by Cedar Creek.
Very nice one!
Old 04-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #76
Now a "Top Member"

I ran across another must have whilst chatting on the Wildcat board. A flat (or flatter) light over the dining table. I bump my head on the "chandelier" type light all the time. And I found out on the other board that I'm not the only one. It appears to be a pretty common thing. So...a new light over the dining table.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #77
JAYCO Representative

I'll be sharing all this info with our sales team this next week. Great input from experienced RVers is something that has helped Wildcat stay a top selling fifth wheel brand for years. Thank you!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Chris View Post
I'll be sharing all this info with our sales team this next week. Great input from experienced RVers is something that has helped Wildcat stay a top selling fifth wheel brand for years. Thank you!

Royalty cheques in the mail?
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Spicer View Post
Agreed with what most are suggesting for the must haves.

Also, how about Back Up lights (not just little reverse lights) on a camper? Not just so the driver can see better, but also for safety reasons.

The DH added backup lights to our TT. Really makes a hugh difference.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #80
JAYCO Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Royalty cheques in the mail?
They're in the mail...

Tags
extralite, fifth wheel, forest river, sterling, wildcat