Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #121

Wildcat Chris. Mnay manufactureres, or divisions within use inexpensive, or Chinese made, or the absolute bare minimum of load rated tires for the units.
Was not specific to Wildcat, although can be related to other FR products.
Many a post on this forum regarding tires issues throughout. That really is all I was saying, if they offer options on interior finishes, allow for option to upgrade to top end tires for those high milers out there.
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Chris View Post
Interesting additions.

Tank sensors is on my list of things to "make better" in the Wildcat (and the whole industry).

I'm interested to hear ideas on how to "get visual" on the fresh tank... that could be handy, but I'm having a hard time visualizing it.

Please define "garbage tires." We're currently using Provider tires (available from Discount Tire Co.). Will our customer pay for upgraded tires? What would you want?

We've got room for multiple batteries. In fact, we recently built a special unit with dual batteries and a solar setup. More on that soon!
The "get visual" for the fresh water tank could be a sight tube like some boilers have... would act like a water level. It could be placed anywhere with the same elevation as the tank and would reflect the actual level in the tank.
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #123

In my old trailer, tank was open to viewing simply by opening one of the storage doors, but I realize this is impossible to 'design' this way. A fool proof tank sensor will solve this!

Love bobcats idea.
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #124

1. The ability to order "upgraded" tanks to be used for campground use only (not highway travel). Large enough grey and fresh tank to spend 3-4 days without worrying about water use while boondocked. The water is going to be in either the fresh, grey or black tank- not all three full to capacity at once - thus 70 gal fresh with a 60 gal grey and the normal 38 gal black be great for a family with two adults and two kids for a long weekend.

2. The ability to locate additional batteries under trailer deck closer to the axles to help with weight distribution. Battery "bays"(removable floor panels to allow access to the space between frame rails and cross members)in the floor with a conduit chase to allow for cables would be awesome.

3. A real grill. Charge extra... Come up with a quality grill/stove combination like the Camp Chef - Big Gas Grill... loose the two burner stove and the RVQ - install a modified stove with a grill box combo as a option.

4. High pressure propane option. A high pressure propane port near outdoor kitchen to tap into on board propane supply for other grills and such.

5. Solar / LED / Multiple battery self sufficiency option. Get it closer to being off the grid right from the factory. Factory installed blocking for mounting solar panels, extra battery capacity, wire chase provided from roof to area for charge controller, and strategic locations of vents and roof penetrations to allow for large areas of "solar real estate" on the roof. I would be willing to pay accordingly for a unit "prepped" for solar or solar complete.
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #125

I am on deadline so I apologize for not reading all the posts yet before contributing.

1 - A jack, power lug wrench and all the hardware to do a tire change. Having a tire so I can wait for road side service is not fun.
2 - Safety triangles and flares in their own tongue mounted container so they can be accessed in an emergency.
3 - A WiFi repeater to make access to CG WiFi easier. All that metal drops a couple of bars and in a storm that can really stink.
4 - A factory installed burglar, smoke and flood alarm system, including outside annunciation tied to the external speakers.
5 - Better locks, maybe even key card, or proximity sensor access (Like Toyota). Be nice not to have to fumble for keys carrying groceries or sleeping kids.

Just an idea based on recent posts - a dehumidifier setting on the existing AC system that works automatically. It could save a lot of headaches literally (hate that musty smell).

I am sure I could go on. Safety is always first, then comfort.

Now back to work! (Me that is.)
Old 02-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #126

Chris,
I think you are all doing a fine job with what you are currently offering for the money. Sure there will be different things that different people would like to have available.
But, in offering too many options the assembly line become more cluttered and difficult to maintain a constant flow of product.

Not to mention, an RV is just a house on wheels. And when we move into a house we all do what it take to make it our own whether it is via numerous visits to Lowes or Home Depot. We all have different and varying taste, you will never please all of
the mass of owners.

But, if I were to list 2 items that I feel would be most appreciated by all owners I think it would be better tires as a standard feature. And more attention paid to detail and quality control improvements.

I am sure that the majority of RV that leave the assembly line have no problems when delivered to their owner.

But, for those who do receive a RV with a problem upon delivery that should have been caught along the line it is a big deal and one that they will make sure that anyone who will listen will hear all about it.

Or as my dear ole Daddy used to say, "if you can't find the time to do it right the first time, how will you ever find the time to do it over and do it right"?

Carry on,

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #127

Oakman already highlighted this, but there are much different needs among the different groups and mine are primarly for the short trip with kids type. A few of these have been mentioned.

1. Access to bathroom, and fridge with slides open
2. Plexiglass "storm" windows on screen door. Best Mod I have done, would like to see these become a standard on new units. Allows for the door to be left open while not loosing a ton of heat/cool and lettin the light in
3. Standard removable bunk house rails to keep little ones from falling out.
4.An additional power outlet outside
5. Better quality tires on new units.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #128

I forgot. Factory backing camera.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:49 AM   #129
JAYCO Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbobcat View Post
1. The ability to order "upgraded" tanks to be used for campground use only (not highway travel). Large enough grey and fresh tank to spend 3-4 days without worrying about water use while boondocked. The water is going to be in either the fresh, grey or black tank- not all three full to capacity at once - thus 70 gal fresh with a 60 gal grey and the normal 38 gal black be great for a family with two adults and two kids for a long weekend.

2. The ability to locate additional batteries under trailer deck closer to the axles to help with weight distribution. Battery "bays"(removable floor panels to allow access to the space between frame rails and cross members)in the floor with a conduit chase to allow for cables would be awesome.

3. A real grill. Charge extra... Come up with a quality grill/stove combination like the Camp Chef - Big Gas Grill... loose the two burner stove and the RVQ - install a modified stove with a grill box combo as a option.

4. High pressure propane option. A high pressure propane port near outdoor kitchen to tap into on board propane supply for other grills and such.

5. Solar / LED / Multiple battery self sufficiency option. Get it closer to being off the grid right from the factory. Factory installed blocking for mounting solar panels, extra battery capacity, wire chase provided from roof to area for charge controller, and strategic locations of vents and roof penetrations to allow for large areas of "solar real estate" on the roof. I would be willing to pay accordingly for a unit "prepped" for solar or solar complete.
Great ideas -- and all very much geared towards dry camping or boon docking. I'll bring these ideas in to the design team for more discussion! You might also check out the discussion we were having here:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...age-17146.html
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #130

I enjoyed this thread and concur with about everything stated previously. battery cut-off, better tires, etc.

Hat is off to Wildcat Chris and team for their heated discussion! We all understand their dilemma of trying to please us all which can not be easy!

For my myself and great beautiful significant other (both 50's and still young), we've wanted and search for and yet to find the perfect 5th wheel with outdoor kitchen & outside TV less than 39'. Example of our want would be the 333MK (nice bathroom layout too) with an outdoor kitchen.

Please let us know if FR's Wildcat or others have anything in the works, cause we're about to sign on our 3rd 5th wheel without the outdoor kitchen and the boss says this will be our last 5th wheel purchase for several years.
LONE STAR TRAVELERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #131
JAYCO Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONE STAR TRAVELERS View Post
I enjoyed this thread and concur with about everything stated previously. battery cut-off, better tires, etc.

Hat is off to Wildcat Chris and team for their heated discussion! We all understand their dilemma of trying to please us all which can not be easy!

For my myself and great beautiful significant other (both 50's and still young), we've wanted and search for and yet to find the perfect 5th wheel with outdoor kitchen & outside TV less than 39'. Example of our want would be the 333MK (nice bathroom layout too) with an outdoor kitchen.

Please let us know if FR's Wildcat or others have anything in the works, cause we're about to sign on our 3rd 5th wheel without the outdoor kitchen and the boss says this will be our last 5th wheel purchase for several years.
Wildcat currently offers two models that are UNDER 39' long, HAVE OUTSIDE KITCHEN, and are NOT BUNKS! Please take a look at the 293REX and the 317RL! Wildcat is in the 3rd year of offering outside kitchens to couples -- why should bunk house buyers have all the fun?

293REX:

Wildcat Fifth Wheel by Forest River

317RL:

Wildcat Fifth Wheel by Forest River
Old 02-25-2014, 11:54 PM   #132
JAYCO Representative

Arrow OPINIONS on TIRES?

Better tires comes up again and again. What tires are you looking for specifically? Is there a specific brand or characteristic you're looking for the most? I have done my research on this, but want to hear more opinions...
Old 02-26-2014, 07:39 AM   #133

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
I am waiting delivery of a new Wildcat 282RKX and once home from the dealer I will put on Maxxis M8008 ST tires. ST235/80/R16E
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #134
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Chris View Post
Better tires comes up again and again. What tires are you looking for specifically? Is there a specific brand or characteristic you're looking for the most? I have done my research on this, but want to hear more opinions...
Either Goodyear Marathon or Maxxis LR D minimum.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:06 AM   #135

I read through some of the entries and found that most were floorplan suggestions. No way you'll ever make a floorplan that suits everyone- so that's kind of fruitless to me. As far as what should be standard on all campers regardless of floorplan, here are a few that I can think of-many of which have been mentioned:

1. Axles and tires with reserve capacity. If the weight of the camper and 1500lbs of cargo meets or exceeds the rating of the axles and/or tires, I walk.

2. Rear rack or a bumper strong enough to support ~200 pounds via some type of aftermarket rack or carrier.

3. Quick Detach power cord- I don't much care for the type that you have to pull in and out.

4. Roof seams sealed with Eternabond tape. Seems like it would solve the vast majority of delam issues and add less than $100 to the cost of a new unit.

5. On nicer units, or maybe in a value package, offer a hard wired RV surge protector with the digital readout.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Either Goodyear Marathon or Maxxis LR D minimum.
+1

The question is, how to you get newbies with no knowledge of the tire problems to understand the value here? They look at the bottom line. You'd have to engage in some form of marketing I would think to educate consumers to get them to spend the extra money.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:13 AM   #137

I would have preferred an option of a greater weight rating with more ply. As well as a higher speed rating. Tires with a speed rating limit of 62 MPH doesn't make sense. Such limits I think is part of a number of tire failure due to over heating. Many will simply say to slow down, but many time in traffic driving 62 MPH you are creating a rolling hazard to others.

So the answer is not in the brand name, it's in a tires ability to be practical while doing what should be expected of it to deliver.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:25 AM   #138
JAYCO Representative

While Wildcat's standard Taskmaster Provider ST tire (available at Discount Tire locations) is also a 16" steel-belted radial, 10-ply, load range 'E' tire (review here: Taskmaster Provider ST Radial Trailer Tire Review & Rating), we are also now offering the MAXXIS M8008 (235/80R16) as an upgrade option:
ST Radial M8008 | Maxxis USA

We'll see how many Wildcat customer's choose this upgrade over the next year!
Old 04-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #139

The entertainment systems radio, (DVD? I think) are 12 volt powered. How about having the TV's 12 volt powered as well. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #140
Mod free 5er

Another must have is the OC Awning bracket kit.

Tags
extralite, fifth wheel, forest river, sterling, wildcat