Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #21

Back to the topic at hand... here's a great deal for our Canadian viewers...

I ordered a set of the 191023 JT StrongArms from Amazon.ca earlier in the week. $CDN289(+tax) and free shipping was an outstanding deal for us perpetually-reamed Canadians. It was out of stock and so had not shipped (I don't mind to save money like that because I'm not in a hurry).

This morning I checked the status (still out of stock) and noticed that the item now said '3 new from $229'. Hmmmm, that wasn't there earlier in the week... who is this new lower-price seller? Turned out to be Amazon.ca themselves - they had lowered the price and it was still the same item.

So I cancelled the backordered item, reordered the same item and saved 70 bucks. Can't beat that with a stick! $CDN259.52 all-in.

P.S. They have it mislabeled as the 'short' kit but its not (according to a review) and is the proper part number for the over-58" FW).

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #22

Funny, that's the exact set I bought two days ago and is arriving tomorrow! free shipping, no tax, how can you beat it?
SNOMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #23
JAYCO Representative

Here's info on BAL's (Wildcat's frame manufacturer) Lock Arm stabilizers:
BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
FWIW, the JT's should be mounted going forward from the pads, NOT to the center behind the jacks. Similar to these homemade ones.
OC, Now I'm really cornfuzed about the mounting of the rear arms. In my instructions on JTs have me mounting to the center of the jacks. I saw you and Kaadk have your arms going toward the front. Wouldn't the front to back motion be locked in at the landing pads already in the front? Then the Bal tire chocks should add to stiffen front to back again. Now in the rear,.......
Doesn't the electric stab jacks have a "floating center" that adjusts the arms center when going down in place? Once they are down will the center stay locked rigid in place? My thought is that I need side to side stabilization in the rear more than front to back. It's like a dog wagging it's tail in the rear end.
I bet Lippert put the arms forward on Kaadk's unit because the arm hit the brackets on the electric stabs when fully retracted. Mine hit and even with the rectangle mount it wasn't enough room. Also the cross member that they mount on is weak. I'm thinking about adding a new stronger cross member.
I wish I had 4 arms in the rear the same as the front. But if I only have two arms what is the best bang for the buck? OC, your thoughts?
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:19 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
OC, Now I'm really cornfuzed about the mounting of the rear arms. In my instructions on JTs have me mounting to the center of the jacks. I saw you and Kaadk have your arms going toward the front. Wouldn't the front to back motion be locked in at the landing pads already in the front? Then the Bal tire chocks should add to stiffen front to back again. Now in the rear,.......
Doesn't the electric stab jacks have a "floating center" that adjusts the arms center when going down in place? Once they are down will the center stay locked rigid in place? My thought is that I need side to side stabilization in the rear more than front to back. It's like a dog wagging it's tail in the rear end.
I bet Lippert put the arms forward on Kaadk's unit because the arm hit the brackets on the electric stabs when fully retracted. Mine hit and even with the rectangle mount it wasn't enough room. Also the cross member that they mount on is weak. I'm thinking about adding a new stronger cross member.
I wish I had 4 arms in the rear the same as the front. But if I only have two arms what is the best bang for the buck? OC, your thoughts?
I know ya asked for OC, but let me interject my thoughts:

Putting the strong arms to a centre point is not going to help much with side to side stabilizing. Much like the way the power jacks are already connected at the centre, this acts like a pivot point that the side to side rocking can rotate around. By placing the arms front to back, you're providing bracing against that side to side movement. This way, as weight is transferred to the side of the trailer, (from walking or whatever) the weight is distributed through the strong arms to the pads instead of relying on the strength of the frame to prevent any twisting around the centre point.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I know ya asked for OC, but let me interject my thoughts:

Putting the strong arms to a centre point is not going to help much with side to side stabilizing. Much like the way the power jacks are already connected at the centre, this acts like a pivot point that the side to side rocking can rotate around. By placing the arms front to back, you're providing bracing against that side to side movement. This way, as weight is transferred to the side of the trailer, (from walking or whatever) the weight is distributed through the strong arms to the pads instead of relying on the strength of the frame to prevent any twisting around the centre point.
I just saw Wildcat Chris posted the Bal stab instructions and they show the arms going forward. Just different than JT's.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Chris View Post
Here's info on BAL's (Wildcat's frame manufacturer) Lock Arm stabilizers:
BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry
thanks, i'm thinking that i'll give these a try on the front landing gear. i wonder why these aren't standard equipment from Wildcat...kinda seems like a minor $ investment for a better experience.

amazon has them for ~$73 Amazon.com: BAL 23216 Lock-Arm Stabilizing Bar: Automotive
Hart-Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #28

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I know the newer versions of stabilizer jacks look like they have side to side motion licked, but many who have them (including myself) still complain of excess movement. Would it be overkill to install stabilizer arms both directions? It seems almost standard on the front...why not the back too? I believe I saw the BAL's available by the pair.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #29

Question for Keisling about JT Strongarms

What year model is your coach? We have a 2014 312 BHX and Camping World told us we cannot mount the JT Strongarms on our coach because of the location of the battery box and the spare tire. I appreciate any help with this.

Thanks,
Jeff
Wildcat2014
Wildcat2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
OC, Now I'm really cornfuzed about the mounting of the rear arms. In my instructions on JTs have me mounting to the center of the jacks. I saw you and Kaadk have your arms going toward the front...
When pressure is put on the rear stabs, it pretty well locks them from floating side to side. Front to rear is where the movement is. I put them forward for that reason. Adding jacks in front of the axle does a great job of stopping the tires/suspension from bouncing which is where a lot of movement occurs.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat2014 View Post
What year model is your coach? We have a 2014 312 BHX and Camping World told us we cannot mount the JT Strongarms on our coach because of the location of the battery box and the spare tire. I appreciate any help with this.

Thanks,
Jeff
Wildcat2014
Jeff, I installed JTs on my 2014 Wildcat 327ck. There is a couple options to try. I cut my battery box to fit or raise the box with a wood frame or cover the battery hole.
Then you need to trim the spare tire bracket in the front and move the cable lift assembly back 6". An extra cross member is needed to hold the second half of the lift assembly. Or you can install a spare tire holder on rear bumper. Check out the thread below. I'll try to post pics of mine tomorrow in the daylight'

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...cat-66824.html
Old 08-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #32

Where is everybody attaching the lateral braces in the front of the newer Wildcat's? I just bought a set of the BAL lock-arms, I know I need to deal with the battery, but after that are you just just attaching the end of the braces to the metal floor of the front compartment?

Thanks,
--Paul
pbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbryan View Post
Where is everybody attaching the lateral braces in the front of the newer Wildcat's? I just bought a set of the BAL lock-arms, I know I need to deal with the battery, but after that are you just just attaching the end of the braces to the metal floor of the front compartment?

Thanks,
--Paul
Mine had two holes predrilled in the front end of the metal floor. Then put a support plate on both sides of the floor over the holes.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #34

Elind, how much of the spare tire bracket did you trim?

Thanks,
Jeff
Wildcat 2014
Old 08-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #35
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat2014 View Post
Elind, how much of the spare tire bracket did you trim?

Thanks,
Jeff
Wildcat 2014

About 2" with angle grinder with a steel cutting blade. I still need to relocate my cable lift assembly 6" back. That will have to wait till get back home from camping.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #36

Elind, thanks, I plan to do that on Monday.

Jeff
Old 08-31-2014, 07:06 AM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

The Wildcat techs said I needed to put cross member where the second bolt of the tire lift assembly is relocated. Just a metal strap or angle iron bolted across to the frame.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:45 AM   #38

Thanks Elind, I should get started in the morning. I already raised the battery box so the spare tire is what i left to do and then I can get started on the stabilizers.

Jeff