Old 12-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #1

Seeking Stabilizer Advice

Our 2008 Wildcat (2 BR) shakes alot when we're set up, and I've been researching the various stabilizer solutions, none of which seem to be amenable to our situation. Our 32' has a manual parking brake in front center (w/electric jacks) right where the mounting bracket would go... so I'd have to get rid of the parking brake in order to mount the stabilizer in front. And my rear jacks are scissors which are not 90į to the caravan, so I don't think stabilizers would work for them. Our caravan wheels are about 6" apart, so I'm not sure X chocks would fit, or if they'd even work (we're currently up on a 2"x6" on one side for leveling). Any advice would be welcome.

Benlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:24 PM   #2
Pickin' & Campin'

Could you elaborate on the 'parking brake' you are referring to?
I believe you have a 5th wheel (registry indicates so but you mentioned caravan and I didn't find a caravan model?) and I'm not sure what you are talking about?
Stabilizers like JT's Strong Arms or SteadyFast are somewhat forgiving with 'exact' mounting locations so something should work even with scissor jacks.

X-Chocks should help and work with 6" between the wheels.
They make two sizes. One for wheels closer together and another for wheels farther apart.

You could always use a couple of jacks in the center (once set up) near the front axle to help eliminate some of the shake.

Some suggest a kin pin stabilizer helps but it didn't for me and I gave it away.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=13
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #3

Iím enclosing a pic of the parking brake system; thereís cables going to the back so I imagine it ties into the rear brakes and manually sets them when Iím parked up. Not sure itís necessary, but to install the bracket for front stabilizers it would have to be removed. My 5th wheel is a modified 32QBS where the front bunks have been replaced with a single bed and desk area (very nice setup). I checked the SteadyFast scissors stabilizer installation and they say the jacks must be 90į to the caravan; mine are 45į. I donít think the X-Chocks will make any difference as the swaying is on the ends (when someone in front moves, itís felt at the rear). I thought that the king pin stabilizer would do the trick, especially if I got the extenders so the triangular base would be large... what was your experience with it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Parking Brake.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	158134  
Benlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Could you elaborate on the 'parking brake' you are referring to?
I believe you have a 5th wheel (registry indicates so but you mentioned caravan and I didn't find a caravan model?) and I'm not sure what you are talking about?
Stabilizers like JT's Strong Arms or SteadyFast are somewhat forgiving with 'exact' mounting locations so something should work even with scissor jacks.

X-Chocks should help and work with 6" between the wheels.
They make two sizes. One for wheels closer together and another for wheels farther apart.

You could always use a couple of jacks in the center (once set up) near the front axle to help eliminate some of the shake.

Some suggest a kin pin stabilizer helps but it didn't for me and I gave it away.
A caravan is English/Scotch/Irish for a trailer.
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benlevi View Post
Our 2008 Wildcat (2 BR) shakes alot when we're set up, and I've been researching the various stabilizer solutions, none of which seem to be amenable to our situation. Our 32' has a manual parking brake in front center (w/electric jacks) right where the mounting bracket would go... so I'd have to get rid of the parking brake in order to mount the stabilizer in front. And my rear jacks are scissors which are not 90į to the caravan, so I don't think stabilizers would work for them. Our caravan wheels are about 6" apart, so I'm not sure X chocks would fit, or if they'd even work (we're currently up on a 2"x6" on one side for leveling). Any advice would be welcome.
I use a kingpin stabilizer and x braces and they work fine together. I also take some weight off the tires with two jacks in front of the wheels. The shake is coming from your tires. I do not understand the parking brake? Can you send a picture?? the kingpin stabilizer has a base about 3' across at the ground and a cup goes up to the pin. There is no interference with anything.
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

The SteadyFast stabilizers should still work. Just angle them to where you need them.

http://learntorv.com/shake-shake-sha...stabilization/

http://learntorv.com/product-review-...t-stabilizers/

And, Iím sure you can find X-chocks to fit between your wheels. But, truthfully- we donít find a difference when we do and do not use them.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:15 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

European trailers have parking brakes built into them.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #8

His profile says Alabama? I know in Alstralia they do require a parking brake be installed on any trailer sent over there. actually the parking brake would work like the X chocks but he would be better with something like JT or the like also I have found that scissor jacks put by the axles helped my trailer alot with bounce. rocking front to back I have JT style stablizers with work great. and as far as the lippert stabs I don't use them anymore as they didn't do any good after I put the jacks by the axles I may just remove them and add some more scissors in their place.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:33 AM   #9

Hi Onetonford, hope all is well.
I to am thinking about installing scissor style jacks near my axles also. I just havenít crawled underneath to see just where this style will work.

Bill
2008 GMC Duramx-2500HD 4x4 CrewCab
52 Gallon Titan Fuel Tank
Reese18K Signature Series 5th Wheel Hitch With Slider #30085
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:32 AM   #10

Get a jt style stabilization set up, night and day, you will wish they were included on every camper, x chocks and jts you should be good to go.