Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2016, 03:06 PM   #1

Selling One Year Old RV

Due to possible unfortunate circumstances, I may need to sell my 2016 Wildcat 327CK. We just purchased it in April this year so i know we are going to take one hell of a hit (and of course it is financed). Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether I should try to sell on consignment or sell to a dealer?? I tried selling my last travel trailer privately and it turned into a PITA. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
FFRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:16 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Any sales (other than on your own) are going to produce profit for the seller and little for you. Unless you have relations with a dealer or wholesaler they are going to want paid for selling your unit. They may possibly have a broader database of customers but unless you have to get rid of it quickly, with today's technology you can get the word out there pretty far with a little effort. If you have to get rid of it quickly... your options/outcome probably are not good.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:24 PM   #3

I'd sell it on consignment but you will take a helluva hit no doubt. You might be upside down when it's done, the depreciation curve is extreme. I suspect you'll be 40% off purchase price.

Don't have any relations that want an RV do you?

I found out from an unnamed source that it's common for RV owners to buy a new unit, keep it maybe a year, loose interest and abandon it and let the bank repo it which is why there are a bunch of nearly new units for sale... lots are repo'd.

I've sold one unit on Craigslist and it is a PITA. Lots of tire kickers and screw you down types looking for something for nothing. I have zero patience with that. I set the price at the lowest I'll take and I'm firm on that. You want to kick tires....go to Camping World.

Another avenue is Flea-Bay but expect any potential buyer to request a third party certification before they buy. Pretty much SOP on Flea-Bay and the sellers fee's can be steep, usually 10% of the selling price.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:30 PM   #4

Reminds me of Ag equipment. I just bought a new, NH Round baler, completely computer controlled last summer and then lost the account to a low baller (might get it back because the low baller has crappy equipment) but I still have an 800 buck a month note on it.

Lets just say I could have purchased a nice diesel pusher....

At least I can write off the expense of it because it's business, but it still hurts my bottom line and like an RV, I'd be upside down if I sold it.

Financing is wonderful but you have to pay for it...one way or another....lol
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #5

RV rental companies need RVs like yours. Call around you will be surprised how much you can get during rental months. Most will stow yours at no cost and insure it.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFRich View Post
Due to possible unfortunate circumstances, I may need to sell my 2016 Wildcat 327CK. We just purchased it in April this year so i know we are going to take one hell of a hit (and of course it is financed). Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether I should try to sell on consignment or sell to a dealer?? I tried selling my last travel trailer privately and it turned into a PITA. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
You can also advertise it here on the forum under the thread Forest river classified buy/sell /trade. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #7

Have to Sell

So sorry this has happened to you. May I suggest a local Facebook listing with multiple photo's and very specific information and bottom line price. Several people in my area (In the Spring) were successful this way. Leave little room for questions by including as much info as you are comfortable providing on Facebook. It limits your audience to locals but you can post to several neighboring forums for a broader scope. Good luck.
Celkalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:46 PM   #8

I come from a different mind set I guess. Sell it yourself! I keep as many hands out of my business as I possibly can. Selling it yourself will you have to put up with people basically wasting time? Yep, but when it does sell, every dime is yours.
philobeddoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFRich View Post

Look up this site call lazyrv.com. It explains how to do what you need to do and they will take care of everything if you want them to. I know you will probably take a hit regardless but at least this might give you an idea on how to best go about it.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:06 PM   #10

If you purchased it from a local dealer I would call them and see if they would help you sell it. I had a good relationship with the dealer where I purchased a 5th wheel. They put my Class C on their lot and ended up selling it. I think I paid them about a 5% commission.

Love my Wildcat 295RSX!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:56 PM   #11

Wildcat 327 ck

How much are you asking? Might know someone interested. This is a 5th wheel correct
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:48 AM   #12

Sell it yourself on Craigslist, you'll get more for it than at a dealer.
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by philobeddoe View Post
I come from a different mind set I guess. Sell it yourself! I keep as many hands out of my business as I possibly can. Selling it yourself will you have to put up with people basically wasting time? Yep, but when it does sell, every dime is yours.
X 2. Sell it yourself.
Harvey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #14

Thank you for all the suggestions and ideas everyone. Still undecided on what I am going to do (should know more in a month or two). Some of you asked about price; as you know, it is hard to decipher that using NADA, etc. Guessing by that, the price to expect would be around $38k or $39k. Which, of course, would be about $5k or $6k less than we owe. I hope to contact the dealer i purchased it from soon to get a more realistic estimated selling price. I have even considered trying to keep it to avoid taking such a loss, although, i know with all the interest that will be paid out, the hit now would be better than all the interest paid. A couple of you have contacted me, yes, it is a 2016 Wildcat Fifth Wheel 327CK.
FFRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:39 AM   #15

Chances are you are correct in taking a bath in being upside down when you look at market price vs. pay off. Of course this will depend greatly on what you paid, your down payment and interest rate at your time of purchase.

Good news is that it is a very popular floor plan.

Personally I would handle the sale as a DIY project. Yes, it can be a scary task to undertake. Just do your homework, know your numbers, and understand that everyone will want to pay as little as possible. And yes, there maybe a few people looking to take advantage of you. Above all keep in mind that it is only a transaction between two people and it is nothing personal. Keep it simple and you will be fine.

As for price, forget the NADA guideline price. You can check local asking prices on your local Craigslist and Ebay by searching both current listing prices as well as closed auction prices.

You can also go to websites such as RV Trader and see what new and used like RV's are selling for. Many times a buyer can find a new model for less than the priced of used.

Also keep in mind that from the buyers view point that they are buying a used RV that comes with no warranty. FR warranties as well as individual manufactured equipment warranties do not transfer past the original purchaser.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #16
Citrus County, Fl.

If you sell it yourself, take some quality pictures with a good digital camera. Decorate it to look like a model. I had an old worn out Terry that I sold on Craigslist a couple of years ago and people remarked how detailed the pictures were. Put it in higher than I wanted for it, came down a bit with an offer and got more than I anticipated. Good luck with your sale.

This was a 15 year old TT at the time of the sale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2404.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	124636  
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote