Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2017, 01:24 PM   #1

Slideout Leak

Ok, I have had my Forest River fifth wheel in 4 time for slide leak. Only leaks when closed, they have replaced seals inside and out. Forest River is now saying it is the dealer, Camping World, who is messing up and they are now refusing to pay for any more repairs. Camping World says it is the design in the slide that is the problem as they have replaced all seals and put their own time in for free to resolve this. Is there a gutter or something that someone has come up with that I can install myself over slide to stop this leak? Thanks
pokechop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:30 PM   #2

Slideout Leak

You could try a slide out awning topper. That should keep water out of any of the top seals. Lots of other advantages as well, like keeping twigs, leaves off the slide roof.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73 gears
2O12 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubanut View Post
You could try a slide out awning topper. That should keep water out of any of the top seals. Lots of other advantages as well, like keeping twigs, leaves off the slide roof.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73 gears
2O12 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
X2, IMHO that's your best option. Will keep water off the top of the slide out when open and form a seal across the top when closed!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:26 PM   #4

plus 2 on the topper. Don't leave home without it.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:21 PM   #5

A slide topper would help as long as the leak is coming from the top of the slide. However, if the leak is even a few inches below the topper it may slow the leak, but it will not be a permanent fix which is what you need to find.

Have you tried making it as dark as possible in that room of the trailer and look very closely for any daylight shining through the seal?

Maybe use a air compressor around the slide out from the exterior and have another individual inside the RV feeling for an air leak. Keep in mind that while you do want to use compressed air, don't use so much PSI that you cause damage to the rubber seal.

I can understand Forest River saying that 4 attempts to fix the issue at the same place is a little concerning. I would ask Wildcat if they would authorize to reimburse you for a reasonable out of pocket amount to have another dealer fix the problem.

Water leaks an be a pain to locate the actual source of entry. It does not always follow the rule of water drains down hill as gravity says it should. Sometimes the obvious is not the location to look.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:53 AM   #6

Some places can do the air test. Soapy water and then pressurize the inside to look for bubbles. After the 2nd fix that is what they should have done.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRRVR View Post
Some places can do the air test. Soapy water and then pressurize the inside to look for bubbles. After the 2nd fix that is what they should have done.
Yes, they assured me they did that. But it still leaks and they stated that it didn't leak after repair. It showed up after it rained. I am probably going to foot this bill after four attempts to repair, it is the principal of the thing now. Forest River wants to know why I didn't leak test it after repair, said I left on trip and didn't think I needed to after their repair, leak showed up on next rain and I took it back in 3 more times. Yahoo this is fun! Now worried about damage on floor and walls ...
Old 02-22-2017, 10:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokechop View Post
Yes, they assured me they did that. But it still leaks and they stated that it didn't leak after repair. It showed up after it rained. I am probably going to foot this bill after four attempts to repair, it is the principal of the thing now. Forest River wants to know why I didn't leak test it after repair, said I left on trip and didn't think I needed to after their repair, leak showed up on next rain and I took it back in 3 more times. Yahoo this is fun! Now worried about damage on floor and walls ...

We just bought our Grey Wolf 26DBH last week. We've already had it in for one repair and we found out today that it's still leaking. We haven't had the slide out while it's raining so we don't know if it leaks while out. After reading your post, I'm pretty concerned. Have you looks into a slide cover? If so, have you received an estimate?

2017 Grey Wolf 26DBH
smnavalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:42 AM   #9

This battle should be between FR and CW. CW is an authorized repair center, FR is still responsible for the defect. I would not spend any money correcting their defect.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #10

Yes Mars I agree. Problem is CW and FR blaming each other. CW says it is a defect and they have even put their own time in for free, FR says CW isn't looking at what problem is ... (FR says might be a roof leak that is traveling down to slideout) CW checked roof seals and slide seals and says that is not the problem ... I just want it fixed and I will move on. I could fix it myself easily and add slide topper, but it is the principal of the thing now. It's only been a year and a half now that we are still screwing with it
Old 03-21-2017, 07:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokechop View Post
Yes Mars I agree. Problem is CW and FR blaming each other. CW says it is a defect and they have even put their own time in for free, FR says CW isn't looking at what problem is ... (FR says might be a roof leak that is traveling down to slideout) CW checked roof seals and slide seals and says that is not the problem ... I just want it fixed and I will move on. I could fix it myself easily and add slide topper, but it is the principal of the thing now. It's only been a year and a half now that we are still screwing with it
Update ... Forest River says they paid once and aren't going to pay again, CW says they fixed it once and the leak is caused by defect in slide and they aren't going to fix it anymore. So I get a leaky 2015, (been able to use it 3 times, been at shop last month and a half) I will join the thousands of people who have not had a good experience with Forest River. Thinking Grand Design next time
Old 03-22-2017, 06:47 AM   #12

just a thought

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I have been reading in my trailer life magazine about people who have similar situations and the magazine has people that attempt to get the problem solved. Many of them seem to get resolved because Forest River does not want the bad publicity. Also, have you tried opening the slide at night with the lights on inside to see if you can notice where any light comes through if you are standing on the outside. You may have to cover the windows with dark garbage bags to prevent other light coming out, but don't cover the window frames incase they are the problem. Just a thought. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #13

I have not tried opening the slide to check for light. Amazingly, the slide only leaked when the slide was closed. When we opened the slide, the leak stopped. Really odd if you ask me...

2017 Grey Wolf 26DBH
Old 03-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #14

I stand corrected... I just walked out to double check the trailer and discovered it's still leaking!

2017 Grey Wolf 26DBH
Old 04-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #15

Wow! Can't believe your stuck in between dealer / factory issue. Think forestriver would step up and stand behind the product they built. I was thinking of buying a 28bh 5er from them but now having second thoughts if the don't stand behind their product. Since they are blaming their dealer they should just send you to another dealer near by that sells their product to fix the problem then. I feel sorry for you. I hope somebody stands up and takes responsibility for this issue.
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwminnesota View Post
Wow! Can't believe your stuck in between dealer / factory issue. Think forestriver would step up and stand behind the product they built. I was thinking of buying a 28bh 5er from them but now having second thoughts if the don't stand behind their product. Since they are blaming their dealer they should just send you to another dealer near by that sells their product to fix the problem then. I feel sorry for you. I hope somebody stands up and takes responsibility for this issue.
Just got a reply from Camping World ... they are going to put slide topper on at their expense! I will take it ... I did ask about FR, but CW said FR was not willing to help. I'm happy, so waiting now to get it installed.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:50 PM   #17

I hope that takes care of the promblem. Keep us posted. I still hope FR stands up and does a real fix for you though. Hopefully this year you'll be able to make great memories with the camper!
Old 04-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwminnesota View Post
I hope that takes care of the promblem. Keep us posted. I still hope FR stands up and does a real fix for you though. Hopefully this year you'll be able to make great memories with the camper!
I hope so too, thanks nwminnesota! I don't have it back yet, but I have fingers crossed ... I will also add that Forest River fixed all other minor problems with no hassle, they replaced my front cap that was fading real quickly. I still like Forest River products and have had three with no problems, so all in all I am satisfied with FR

Tags
leak, slide