Old 07-13-2016, 05:49 PM   #11
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Clicky for Sailun 235/80R16 G rated 75mph @110psi. Requires Hi Pressure wheel. My Wildcat came with HiSpec brand custom wheels stamped 110psi on inner rim also has metal valve stems. See clicky for price and specs.

LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote
6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard
Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #12

Just be aware some tire dealers will not put LT tires on a trailer. None around here will...........................tried to do it.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:15 PM   #13
Olemax

LT Tires on TT

There are design differences in trailer (ST) tires and light truck tires (LT) that are important for safety and performance. Please read the following from Tire Rack before deciding.

Tire Tech Information - Trailer Tires vs. Passenger Vehicle Tires

Have a great camping season!
olemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by olemax View Post
There are design differences in trailer (ST) tires and light truck tires (LT) that are important for safety and performance. Please read the following from Tire Rack before deciding.

Tire Tech Information - Trailer Tires vs. Passenger Vehicle Tires

Have a great camping season!
Maybe so but....35,000 miles later and my XPS Ribs have been trouble free. I would never pay any attention to anyone that says to use Goodyear Marathon or Tow Max Blow Max tires. Two of the worst you can buy. Anyone that says not to use LT tires has never run a set...100% satisfied.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:37 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Just be aware some tire dealers will not put LT tires on a trailer. None around here will...........................tried to do it.

Yes many dealers have been told to not do the swap as most who attempt this simply change an ST for an LT of the same size.
i.e. an LT235/75R15 for an ST235/75R15 which is definately not proper. It is better from a company standpoint to have a strict policy than try and educate every employee on what is needed to do a conversion.

I suggest simply finding a different tire store. Of course I am assuming you have done the math and reviewed all the load, inflation and safety considerations before making a change.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:44 PM   #16
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Yes many dealers have been told to not do the swap as most who attempt this simply change an ST for an LT of the same size.
i.e. an LT235/75R15 for an ST235/75R15 which is definately not proper. It is better from a company standpoint to have a strict policy than try and educate every employee on what is needed to do a conversion.

I suggest simply finding a different tire store. Of course I am assuming you have done the math and reviewed all the load, inflation and safety considerations before making a change.
Assuming that the like-size tire swap LT for ST involved an LT tire that has:
- the same or more plys (tread and wall)
- the same or better load rating at both 80psi and 110psi
- the same or better real world user reviews

What's wrong with that?
LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote
6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard
Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:08 PM   #17

I've been running lt245 75 16 e rated tires for 3 seasons. No clearance problems. Tows better than with st's (less sway) do notice more resistance when turning tight while backing up on concrete\asphalt but no issues. I didn't even go for the high dollar tires. Bought 4 Mesa AP'S (Cooper) from the local Merchant Tire (parent company is Big O) Gave me piece of mind back after a catastrophic blow out with the crap st tires. Never will look back.

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Assuming that the like-size tire swap LT for ST involved an LT tire that has:
- the same or more plys (tread and wall)
- the same or better load rating at both 80psi and 110psi
- the same or better real world user reviews

What's wrong with that?
Because that is hypothetical. For instance, any LT235/85R16E tire is going to have a maximum load capacity of 3042# @ 80 PSI. Any ST235/85R16E is going to have a maximum load capacity of 3640# @ 80 PSI.

When using a LT235/85R16E as a replacement for any ST235/80R16E tires you are actually plus sizing with a replacement that is inferior in load capacity. Its not what you do that counts. Safety counts, and that safety is on the side of the tire industry standards. so, I strongly recommend using options that fit in the safety circle.

Of course the tire you are describing is probably the LT235/85R16G. Its sort of a hybrid tire built exclusively for trailer service. Its in the safety circle.

Tire industry standards are very consistent in a phrase very similar to this: Replacement tires must provide a load capacity equal to or greater than what the Original Equipment tires provide via recommended inflation.

Info: The LT245/75R16E tires have a minimum rim width of 6.5".
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:38 PM   #19

I did notice the st had a higher max weight but... even with the lt I have more tire than my 6000lb axle needs. Forgive me for not saving the info but when I researched this year's ago I discovered st tires are not held to same safety standards that vehicle tire are. A maximum tire rating on a st is 100% where a passenger vehicle tire is rated at about 80%.

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by M109Rrider View Post
I did notice the st had a higher max weight but... even with the lt I have more tire than my 6000lb axle needs. Forgive me for not saving the info but when I researched this year's ago I discovered st tires are not held to same safety standards that vehicle tire are. A maximum tire rating on a st is 100% where a passenger vehicle tire is rated at about 80%.
Tire retailers would love to be able to say that but it's just not going to happen. All tires have a maximum load capacity molded right into their sidewalls.

The regulation for tire fitments to automotive and RV trailer axles are only intended to be used by those that they apply to, Vehicle Manufacturers, exclusively.

Automotive fitments must provide a percentage of load capacity reserves via recommended inflation pressures. That does not apply to RV trailer tire fitments which must provide the load capacity necessary to support total vehicle GAWR. GAWR on RV trailers is not always the same as the axle manufacturers actual load capacity. The Vehicle manufacturer has the authority to set GAWR as appropriate for each fitment.

Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, upgrade