Old 07-14-2016, 03:02 AM   #21
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC9 View Post
I went with Transforce HT in 245-75-16 for my Cedar Creek 34RLSA. Very pleased.
X2. But I went with 235/85r16E on my Wildcat. The last set that the new ones replaced were also Transforce HT and they wore well over the years. 235/85r16 is a very common size and could be found practically any tire shop.

05CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:52 AM   #22

Had 235/80/R16 on my Wildcat and went with LT245/75/R16 and never had any problems.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
Had 235/80/R16 on my Wildcat and went with LT245/75/R16 and never had any problems.
“Ultimately YOU are always responsible for the tires installed on your vehicle.”

Never assume you can simply substitute the tires shown in a load & inflation chart. Using the wrong size tire - whether too big or too small for your vehicle - can lead to sudden tire failure.

The reference provided is generally very similar to what all of the tire manufacturers are going to say about replacement tires. It’s a tire industry standard.

Help Me Choose The Right Tire | How to choose tires | Michelin US

Your tire installer let you down with your tire selection, in more ways than one. First is the size, it’s not even close to what the vehicle manufacturer had used for original equipment tires and certified on the trailer’s labeling and in its owner’s manual as being an appropriate fitment. A lot of people like to second guess OE tire fitments. That’s OK as long as they use replacements within the safety zone.

Your replacements require a minimum rim width of 6.5”. Your OE rims are most likely 6”. So maybe the installer said they would be OK? Safety is safety, either you do it or violate it.

There were better options for your replacements. They were probably more expensive but better and within existing safety standards.
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:17 PM   #24
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Compare Maxxis M8008 to Sailun S637T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
..."Of course the tire you are describing is probably the LT235/85R16G. Its sort of a hybrid tire built exclusively for trailer service. Its in the safety circle..."
Good info, thanks. As a followup, I've been doing a little research to compare whether I should replace my current Maxxis 8008's with same or go to the Sailun S637T. Both are ST235/80R16 and are labeled 'ST' tires specifically designed for Trailers. The Sailun's offers a few greater specs that are of interest to me. First, their single tire load range is higher (rated G vs. E), the carry capacity and speed rating are also greater. As for max speed, Sailun approves 75mph with 110psi. Of course, I need to confirm that my FR OEM HiSpec custom wheels are within spec for High Pressure and Rim Load.

For clarity, I created a side-by-side detail of all specs for both tires and it's in the PDF attached here. All the details came from mfg published specs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Compare Sailun to Maxxis.pdf (348.3 KB, 23 views)
Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote 6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post

Sailun approves 75mph with 110psi. Of course, I need to confirm that my FR OEM HiSpec custom wheels are within spec for High Pressure and Rim Load.
Here is a reference for a type of rim needed for all LT235/85R16G tires rated at 3750# @ 110 PSI. Notice the rim size, 16X6.5” and the certification number. All rims are certified by the SAE.

TR8 | Sendel Wheels

I don’t have a reference for the newer ST235/85R16G tires with the higher 4080# load capacity.
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:18 AM   #26
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Here is a reference for a type of rim needed for all LT235/85R16G tires rated at 3750# @ 110 PSI. Notice the rim size, 16X6.5” and the certification number. All rims are certified by the SAE.

TR8 | Sendel Wheels

I don’t have a reference for the newer ST235/85R16G tires with the higher 4080# load capacity.
That's fine if you have 8 lug axles. 6 lug 16" wheels like the ones I put on my Wildcat do not have that high of a rating nor is it needed. Tire pressure is set at 80psi and the wheels are 6" wide with a capacity of 3200lbs. Ea.
05CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:51 AM   #27

Smile

Quote:
“Ultimately YOU are always responsible for the tires installed on your vehicle.”

Never assume you can simply substitute the tires shown in a load & inflation chart. Using the wrong size tire - whether too big or too small for your vehicle - can lead to sudden tire failure.

The reference provided is generally very similar to what all of the tire manufacturers are going to say about replacement tires. It’s a tire industry standard.

Help Me Choose The Right Tire | How to choose tires | Michelin US

Your tire installer let you down with your tire selection, in more ways than one. First is the size, it’s not even close to what the vehicle manufacturer had used for original equipment tires and certified on the trailer’s labeling and in its owner’s manual as being an appropriate fitment. A lot of people like to second guess OE tire fitments. That’s OK as long as they use replacements within the safety zone.

Your replacements require a minimum rim width of 6.5”. Your OE rims are most likely 6”. So maybe the installer said they would be OK? Safety is safety, either you do it or violate it.

There were better options for your replacements. They were probably more expensive but better and within existing safety standards.
Have worked with tires a long time.....did research and found the tires I used were more then enough for my 5th wheel. It towed better and felt better knowing I had a tire that worked. Mounted and balnaced them myself and after 5 years on them....still no problems.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:17 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Quote:
Tire retailers would love to be able to say that but it's just not going to happen. All tires have a maximum load capacity molded right into their sidewalls.

The regulation for tire fitments to automotive and RV trailer axles are only intended to be used by those that they apply to, Vehicle Manufacturers, exclusively.

Automotive fitments must provide a percentage of load capacity reserves via recommended inflation pressures. That does not apply to RV trailer tire fitments which must provide the load capacity necessary to support total vehicle GAWR. GAWR on RV trailers is not always the same as the axle manufacturers actual load capacity. The Vehicle manufacturer has the authority to set GAWR as appropriate for each fitment.
I just wish the vehicle mfg demonstrated any willingness to take responsibility for their decision by offering and standing behind a full warranty. So far I have not heard of any doing so. You know what they say about those that take or hold authority but shirk any and all responsibility.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:40 PM   #29

Quote:

Yep, that's what I'm putting on mine this fall. Michelins Here I Come......

Bill
2008 GMC Duramx-2500HD 4x4 CrewCab
52 Gallon Titan Fuel Tank
Reese18K Signature Series 5th Wheel Hitch With Slider #30085
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:47 AM   #30
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
So did you use the same OEM Wildcat wheels that came on your Wildcat? If so, which wheels do you have (mine is a 2016 with Aluminum HiSpec wheels). Last question, are you running those LT's at 110psi or 80psi?

Thanks.

Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote 6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, upgrade