Old 07-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #1

ST to LT tire upgrade question

Buying a new 2016 Wildcat Maxx 313RE. I don't know the measurements, but the axles on this model are close together. Only about 2" between the factory 235/80-16 tires. Seems like the most common LT tire sizes that are upgraded to would be 245/75-16 or 235/85-16. I have concerns about both. I'm worried that the 235s would decrease the distance between tires too much, but before buying the 245s I'd like to hear from somebody who says that inside clearance and turning with the wider tires hasn't been a problem for them.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Mike

Old 07-13-2016, 09:07 AM   #2

Best thing is to talk to your tire expert, they have usually seen it all. We have always run LTs. Last trailer had about an inch between tires and no problems. I never noticed any difference on the slightly wider tires either. You will hear all kinds of opinions on this but you should talk to your local tire guy and go from there.

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:17 AM   #3

Thanks, NM. I'll definitely be getting a tire recommendation from my tire guy. But the part of my question he won't be able to answer is about the trailer itself and clearances. Would be great to hear from anybody who has had success with a specific LT tire size on the Wildcats with the narrow axles.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:38 AM   #4
MC9

I went with Transforce HT in 245-75-16 for my Cedar Creek 34RLSA. Very pleased.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:48 AM   #5

Put the LT tires on your TT and don't worry. I have the 235/85-16 on my CC and i can't put my hand between the tires
Amateur Radio W5CI 2016 Days Camping 50
2017 Days Camping 31
W5CI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgood777 View Post
Buying a new 2016 Wildcat Maxx 313RE. I don't know the measurements, but the axles on this model are close together. Only about 2" between the factory 235/80-16 tires. Seems like the most common LT tire sizes that are upgraded to would be 245/75-16 or 235/85-16. I have concerns about both. I'm worried that the 235s would decrease the distance between tires too much, but before buying the 245s I'd like to hear from somebody who says that inside clearance and turning with the wider tires hasn't been a problem for them.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Mike
You can consult tire company web site on approximate tire dimensions. Actual tires may vary by +/- 1/4".
Next confirm the clearance on the current size tires. Does your dealer have a 313RE on the lot? You need to measure tire to frame, suspension body or spring clearance and 3" side clearance is suggested as trailers have a lot of side to side movement.

In addition to clearance when changing ftom ST to LT be sure the new tires have equal or better load capacity. This info is available on the load tables. Your ST tires are probably rated at the tire max inflation so using that number of pounds load capacity your LT tires MUST be able to support at least the same number of pounds and preferably more otherwise why make a change? The new inflation becomes your MINIMUM cold tire inflation.

Since you are making this change for safety reasons you should also consider a TPMS so the driver gets a warning as soon as a tire looses a few psi and you are not waiting for a passing motorist to wave at you through their window signaling that you have had a failure. Good 4 tire TPMS start at less than $300. Contact the TPM dealer (not just the seller like eBay or Amazon) for advice on distance from tires to the monitor that mounts on the dash.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #7

The 245/75-16 is actually shorter overall

Nights camped in 2015 40
Nights camped in 2016 39
nights camped in 2017 30
Crusadernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:39 PM   #8

I had same issue. Did not get much help from any tireman online or brick and mortar. Look at Duravis r500hd. These are same dia as your tires. Measure wheel edge to wheel edge to determine actual clearance (forward to forward edge) and subtract your tire to tire clearance to deternine current tire dia. I actually went to Goodyear G614s and run at 85 psi per the tire load chart. I am limited by wheel load/pressure rating but my actual axle weight was less than 2500 lbs per axle. The hitch to this is that the G614 recommends a 6 1/2 inch wheel and mine are 6 inch as yours probably are. Per my local 25 year experienced tire guy this should be not issue. These tires pull with low rolling resistance and are 14 ply steel belted and not cheap.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:42 PM   #9

Get Michelin XPS RIB 236 85 16 and your good to go for 10 years. You will never wear them out.
Center Point suspension
2005 F-350 6.0 psd CC SRW
PullRite Super 5th
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:02 PM   #10

The XP Rib is what I wanted but the diameter is 32" vs 30.8" on my original and the second set of junk GY marathons. With only 2 inches between tires they would not fit. Lippert recommends at least 1 inch between tires.

Tags
tire, upgrade