Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #1

Stupid place for fuses '16 262RGX

I was lowering the landing gear on our 2016 262RGX and they stopped. In fact the only motor driven thing that worked was the bedroom slide. The fuse at the landing gear motor was fine I kept hearing a "click" under the hallway floor when pushing the remote button. After opening the right side main lower storage compartment, I could hear it was behind a trim panel.

So, I removed it which was a bit of a pain and found a junction box with fuses. One was bad and a new fuse cured the landing gear issue, along with all the main slide, awning etc that quit working. I cut a hole in the trim panel so if it happens again, it will be MUCH easier to change the fuse. The factory should have put an access hole in the panel.

Why in the world would they cover up fuses with a trim panel??? We love our rig, but it's just another example of poor designing. I attached a couple of pics one with the trim removed and after I cut the hole in it. Just thought I would post this to possibly help others out...

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic98816_1.gif
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #2
Site Team

That's the receiver for the remote functions. They seem to find the most out of the way place to put them. You won't believe some of the places they've been found in our RV's.

Would you please add your receiver location to the thread I started, so it may help someone in the future.

Were is Your Remote Receiver/Hub/etc.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
That's the receiver for the remote functions. They seem to find the most out of the way place to put them. You won't believe some of the places they've been found in our RV's.

Would you please add your receiver location to the thread I started, so it may help someone in the future.

Were is Your Remote Receiver/Hub/etc.
Will do!

Old 10-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #4
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I have on more than one occasion installed these fuse release's.
Attached Images

donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
Never seen or heard of those and will have to do some research on it.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:03 PM   #6

That is a resettable circuit breaker and I have put one on my landing gear way better than a fuse.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #7

Circuit Breaker

The resetting relay is a great idea! I can not even get to my fuses w/ the slide in. That is, except for the tongue jack fuse that is under the front nose of the trailer. After blowing this one once, I know where to look.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
That is a resettable circuit breaker and I have put one on my landing gear way better than a fuse.
Ahh, circuit breaker definitely heard and used those, just never heard them called "fuse releases" before. but I have never seen one that looks quite like the one in the pic.

I may do that on the landing gear as there is a fuse right there near the motor. Although that fuse has never blown. Not sure what caused the 30 amp one to blow in that junction box I posted in the op. Seems to be fine now.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:28 PM   #9

Yeah I put it on the landing gear because I kept blowing the 30amp fuse when I ran it up to high. I also broke the plastic gear box they used ended up changing it to a aluminum box. The motor just running the legs down and lifting the trailer pulls almost 30amps. I also put a reversing relay on them because it goes thru switches now the switch last a lot longer.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
I call those auto reset fuses.

I have one on my bait tank battery on my boat. I have a separate battery for the bait tank in a water tight container that's a pain to remove.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #11

Same thing I told them, SeventyGTX, when this happened to me. The other thing that makes no sense is not having independent leg control for better leveling rather than both legs being operated off of one switch. I had 3 Alpenlites before owning this one, and each had independent leg (switch) controls. Guess its cheaper to just have one switch, and then hide all the fuses / breakers and no manual telling you where anything is.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
Same thing I told them, SeventyGTX, when this happened to me. The other thing that makes no sense is not having independent leg control for better leveling rather than both legs being operated off of one switch. I had 3 Alpenlites before owning this one, and each had independent leg (switch) controls. Guess its cheaper to just have one switch, and then hide all the fuses / breakers and no manual telling you where anything is.
I assume independent legs would not only require another switch, but another motor as well. We all know how they pinch pennies at the factory with these things. I suppose it also cost too much to put a sticker at the tank heater switches to let you know thats what they are. The only reason I knew, is because I asked the salesmen. Like you say no real manual, just ones for the various appliances.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:37 PM   #13

Mine is under the oven drawer. I had to give my trailer vin number to Wildcat Steve and he found the location for me.
sawpdx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse