Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2017, 06:01 PM   #1

Tank lights.

Question 3. Speaking of Command Center. Switches, I see the pixie lights for the different tank/battery levels. Am I to assume these may had been functional at one time? Right now, the gallery tank reads full but I emptied it this am because the dealer told me they had to clean them twice and had put chemicals in the tanks and to leave it in for three days. I waited five. I suppose the sensors are buried deep in the bowels but are they serviceable? I doubt the service contract covers them.

After six days, it now reads half full. That is down from full after emptying.

I have been looking at the SeeLevel II sensors but...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1419.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	147730

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDS View Post
Question 3. Speaking of Command Center. Switches, I see the pixie lights for the different tank/battery levels. Am I to assume these may had been functional at one time? Right now, the gallery tank reads full but I emptied it this am because the dealer told me they had to clean them twice and had put chemicals in the tanks and to leave it in for three days. I waited five. I suppose the sensors are buried deep in the bowels but are they serviceable? I doubt the service contract covers them.

After six days, it now reads half full. That is down from full after emptying.

I have been looking at the SeeLevel II sensors but...

Attachment 147730
The probes are drilled through the side of the tanks and glued in place, not really serviceable. Fresh water should work fine, never heard of anybody having issues there. But the sewer tanks have issues. The probe system works by the liquid allowing current flow between a ground probe and one or more of the probes placed at the 3 levels. Unfortunately, the sewer tanks get gunked up, something snags on the probes, a film forms, etc. Reading 1/3 full when empty is pretty good in my experience.

Only 2 options I am aware of to address.
1. The Horst probes. Require you to drill new probes into the tank, and wire to the existing wiring. Have read mixed reviews on how long they work before having the same issues.
2. The SeeLevel system. Senses through the tank walls. Also reads in more than 3 increments (25, I think). More Expensive, requires new display to be installed inside.

Paul
pbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:57 PM   #3

Tank lights.

Thank you, Paul.

I will have to check up more on the SeeLevel system. As I read it they are OEM installs only and I am a DYI if at all possible kind of guy.

As far as the Horst probes... sounds like what is installed and as was pointed out, stuck something into gunk and it will get gunked up. The old saying, "If it ain't broke, Don't fix it." Well, if is broke and you know it will break if fixed as it was, why fix it.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:04 PM   #4

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Has anybody played with one of these "non-contact" type sensors ???

Non-contact Fish Tank Container Liquid Water Level Detect Sensor Switch DC12-24V | eBay

Good Old eBay / Pacific Rim Incorporated (China/Hong Kong) has them in the $5 - $10 range - watch for 12 Volt versions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	non-contact water sensor s-l1600.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	147772  

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDS View Post
Thank you, Paul.

I will have to check up more on the SeeLevel system. As I read it they are OEM installs only and I am a DYI if at all possible kind of guy.

As far as the Horst probes... sounds like what is installed and as was pointed out, stuck something into gunk and it will get gunked up. The old saying, "If it ain't broke, Don't fix it." Well, if is broke and you know it will break if fixed as it was, why fix it.
You can definitely DIY install the SeeLevel system. You just need to be able to access the tanks, specifically at a location where it is flat along it's full height. I actually just installed it on my 312QBX after fighting with the stock system for a few years. The sewer tanks on my unit have a lip that runs the entire width on the front and back, but the sides are smooth. Had to pull down the underbelly in a few places and spent most of a day lying underneath, but it's in. Seems to be working but the first real trip will be next week.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:30 PM   #6

I looked at the eBay listing for a couple of the items with a 12-24 volt rating. These are $4 to 12 each.

The output appears to be an led that turns on at the monitored level. So... I interpret that I need one per level that I want to measure. If I want to know when I have filled up 25, 50, 75, 100 % of my tank, I need 4 per tank (16 to 48 dollars per tank, plus three more sets of wires per tank.) and I still need to figure out how to get the signal from sensor to display or just make my own display?

All essentially doable but I have not opened my rig yet to find this stuff.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbryan View Post
You can definitely DIY install the SeeLevel system. You just need to be able to access the tanks, specifically at a location where it is flat along it's full height. I actually just installed it on my 312QBX after fighting with the stock system for a few years. The sewer tanks on my unit have a lip that runs the entire width on the front and back, but the sides are smooth. Had to pull down the underbelly in a few places and spent most of a day lying underneath, but it's in. Seems to be working but the first real trip will be next week.

Did you use new wires or is it possible to use the existing wires? Any chance you took photos? Argh, lying underneath? I don't have any physical limitations but at 73, I find that and working overhead is becoming harder and harder to do. Not impossible, just harder. Maybe when I pour the slab for this site, I can keep that in mind.

Please keep us informed as to the outcome of your trip next week.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:24 AM   #8

I ran new wires, but it's pretty easy since all the sensors (4 in my case) all run on the same 2 wires, so I just "daisy chained" them. I put in 2 display units, 1 inside and 1 in my "docking center" where the water fill, and sewer drain pulls are. That way I can see the levels as I fill or drain tanks.

If you can figure out the wiring, it might be possible to use existing wiring. One issue I had was that the existing probes and wiring run to the center of the tanks, near the drains. There was no place to mount the sensor strip at that location, I had to put them on the sides of the tanks (my tanks are basically the entire width of the unit), so I would have had to splice and extend the "existing" wires if I wanted to use them.

--Paul

Tags
light, tank