Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #1

The ole water pump story--again!

OK, I used my water pump to winterize (pump antifreeze from fresh water tank into all water lines) and all worked well. Reset HW bypass to summer settings and put unit away for winter.
Now on winter trip and the water pump runs but does not pull water from a 2/3rds full freshwater tank.

Here is what I know-
-the HW heater is full as we've taken hot shows using city water
-the tank is 2/3rds full as I've filled it, drained it, and refilled it again
-the pump is running when the switch is turned on
-when I remove the inlet hose from the pump and put my finger over the pump inlet port- there is no suction felt on my finger---NONE!
-the system all works perfectly on city water

I believe that the pump diaphragm is not working correctly and the pump is not pumping, if it were, I should be able to feel the suction on my finger when I cover the pump inlet port.

Does this make sense?????
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:32 AM   #2

I am not very smart so I took a picture of the way all the valves were before I changed them, that way I can look at the picture and set the valves back like they were. I had something like that happen to me and I hooked up the water from my house just like I do at the campground, I then get all the air out of the lines and with the water running I turn on the water pump and let it run. I then shut off the pump and turned off the water from the house and then turn the pump back on. I did that a few times and it worked for me

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Sounds like you may have not returned the water valve back to use tank water. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #4

I didn't, as stated above, use the a separate valve to winterize the TT. I actually put 3 gal of RV antifreeze in the fresh water tank after draining all the water out of the unit. I used the water pump to circulate the antifreeze though out the system and the only valves I used at all were the HWH bi-pass valves which were returned to summer position when I was finished. I know they are correctly positioned as all works correctly (hot water) with city water.
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
Old 02-05-2016, 12:53 PM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
You'll be fighting the anti-freeze in the fresh water tank for a while.....pumps are easy to work on....if you drink water from it
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

I've had two issues where my pump stopped. One was after winterizing, the pump would not suck because it was getting air from a bad seal on the winterizing valve. In short it was sucking air from the bad valve which was the path of least resistance, not the water tank.

My pump stopped working last season, about mid season. I took it out and had similar results, no suction but plenty of water. Checked the same winter valve and all was good. Took the diaphragm apart, very easy with a few screws, and found a tiny piece of grit stuck in the one chamber causing it to hang up and not allow pressure to build. Now it is fine and has been since last June or so.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:18 PM   #7

Pump issues

While I don't have x ray vision I've had similar issues in the spring that appear to be related to the valves in the pump sticking in the closed position. Never been clear to me if this is a reaction to the RV antifreeze or just from sitting but I have been able to fix the issue by taking a catheter tip 60cc syringe and forcing water into the input hose. Once freed up it usually works for the season. The down side of this is that you have to get to the input hose and remove the fitting to force the water in and that may be a problem on your unit depending on where the pump is located. Best of luck.
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

Pink stuff does seem to get kinda sticky as it dries out over time.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #9

If you have a water system filter, remove it. Reset the system to winterize and try "winterizing" using a bucket of water. Only open up the faucet closest to the water pump. With the filter removed, you should see pink stuff go into the filter holder. That's the antifreeze that was left in the pump and feed lines from your last winterizing. If you shut off the pump before the filter chamber fills, you can remove and dump it, preventing additional antifreeze from getting into the system.

If you can't draw water from a bucket, there's an issue with the pump. You could try priming the pump by filling the winterize hose with water then putting the end of it into a bucket held above the pump. This will provide gravity fed water to assist initial suction from the pump.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:53 PM   #10

Thanks to all for the input/info here. Turns out the pump was defective and my dealer sent me a replacement which solved the problem!
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
Old 02-09-2016, 04:53 PM   #11
Who Dares, Wins

Well that's a happy ending!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB

Tags
pump, water, water pump