Old 08-22-2018, 09:25 AM   #1

tips on how to remove paneling 2017 29RLX

I want to replace the crappy speaker-bar under our TV. It is mounted inside a nook in the entertainment center with paneling and trim around it. Any tips or good how to websites that show how to remove the paneling without destroying it? I'd want to put it all back and try and make it look like new.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #2

A picture would be a great help.

If you are talking about the thin wood paneling set inside stiles and frame then I can give you my personal removal from experience.

On my 5th wheel the 'paneling' is a fake light stained oak.
I removed two panels, one to make a sliding upright tray and cutting board holder cabinet and another to access behind so I could install some backing.

The paneling was pin nailed/staples and spot glued to the backside of the frames.

I took a clean flat piece of 1x4 and placed it on the paneling up against the frame work and tapped lightly...going around the whole inside frame working the panel loose a little at a time.
In areas where the glue was holding too well and showing that it was going to delaminate the paneling I slid a razor knife in to cut the glue and then a putty knife to pry it carefully away from the frame.
You may find that there is no glue....fingers crossed.

To replace the panel... after cleaning it up from glue and staples, I drilled a 1/16" hole (in my case) in the corners of the panel about 2" out from the frame corner.... I applied a very thin ribbon of wood adhesive (not wood glue) to the un-showing parts of the paneling.... using 1/2" thick cross pieces placed diagonally over the frame above the predrilled holes, then using an appropriate length #4 or #6 wood screws carefully position and pull the panel against the backside of the frame work....using the diagonal braces and screws.
Depending on the size of your panel you may need more bracing with screw holes.
Tip: keeping the screws as small as possible will help when you hide the screw holes with 'filler crayon' (it comes in many colors at building stores) that matches your paneling...After it is totally cured (48 hrs) lightly rub it over the hole until it is filled and buff off excess with a cotton cloth.

hope this helps

Good Luck
Islander

Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #3

Here is what it looks like. Ours has the same faux wood paneling around the speaker and fireplace.