Old 01-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #1

Exclamation Tire size is diffrent than the vin number sticker

Does anyone else have a different tire size then what the vin number sticker calls for? When I bought our 05 Wildcat it came with ST235/80R16E
The vin sticker calls for ST225/75R15D. I replaced All 4 Transmaster tires with The same exact size after they started separating when the rig was about a year old. The axle springs are flipped and the vin number starts with 4x4 so the rig sets about 27 inches off the ground. I figured it was to my advantage to have the E rated tires for safety. But im beginning to have suspension problems. The shackles broke on the right side on our way home from our new years trip. The trailer springs rode on the frame and I was able to get home slowly.( I was almost home when someone honked and pointed to my wheels.)I Replaced all the shackles and bolts had the spring hanger welded. On our way home today I noticed the spare tire was missing when I got home the welds were broken on the spare tire hanger. I dropped my trailer at home and backtracked 45 miles to find the tire. Im so thankful it did not cause an accident. But now the wife is having second thoughts about camping. Has anyone else had these problems? I will be checking suspension from here on out.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:32 PM   #2

First thing to FRF, sorry to hear about your bad luck. I have not had that problem but I am sure someone will chim in soon, and as far as your wife tell her not to give up, thinks will get better. Enjoy the forum there are alot of great members here that will be able to help....Good luck.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #3

Tire size

Thanks Rockwood for your Welcome! I have enjoyed the FRF and hope I can help others with my 2 cents.
I went to my dealer this morning with pictures and he said he would try to help me out. I called Forrest River, their rep. said that the shackles were not their responsibility and I should call the axle manfacturer. She said that I should check the spare tire hanger when I check the tire pressure. I told her that the tire hanger failed inside the wheel where the metal is bent to back up behind the lug nuts and behind the tire cover. I want to warn my fellow Wildcat owners please check the tire hanger and look at the leaf spring shackles.
I still like the creature comforts that our Wildcat has to offer. I just don't want to have a break down or hurt someone else when traveling.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Your West Coast version had an option to upgrade to the 16 inch wheels and tires.

The stock wheels and tires are the 15 inch, which is why the sticker doesn't match.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:19 PM   #5

My axles are made by AL-CO and they are torsion type, no leafs and no shackles. And I don't blame you for putting safety first and to look out for other RVers. The spare tire rack is most likely generic, It could be on other manufactures RF's as well. It is good info, maybe we all should inspect the tire racks. thanks for the heads up, your 2 cents made me more aware. The name of the axle manufacture on your rig should be on the axle it self, it may be a metel tag attached to the axle housing. I hope you are good at crawing under your camper. Good luck let us know how it go's
Old 01-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #6

tire hanger

I took the tire hanger to the dealer per the Forrest River Rep. The dealer will ship the hanger to Forrest River for inspection. More to follow...
Old 03-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #7

Well Forrest River replaced the tire hanger with the same type of hanger. The hanger was made in China. I will be checking the tire and hanger very closely from now on. I do not feel that hanger is strong enough to handle the weight of the (optional) 16 in tires. The old hanger broke at the bends of the metal as it bolts to the rim. Now to the issue of the shackles, I contacted AL-Ko and sent them a sample of the stock shackles. After one month and two E mails they said that the shackles met their specifications. I checked them and could run my hack saw through them with no problem. The replacement shackles are hardened (not from AL-KO). All I have learned from this experence Is to pay close attention to these items even if your rig is fairly new and remember that some companys will try to save a buck where they can. Again I like our rig for the aluminum structure and creature comforts so I thought they would make sure the basics (shackles & tire hangers) would be accectable.

Tags
shackles, springs, suspension, wildcat, tires