Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #21
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169


Thank you.
__________________

__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline  
Old 04-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Lou, once again you come armed with facts rather than opinions.
Very much appreciated.
I never heard of concrete being bad for tires, but I know by experience that regular dirt definitely is, and something needs to be put down if a camper is to be stored outside on the ground.
Thanks again, great info.
I guess my years of facts and experience is now called opinions. Really nice. I luv it.
__________________

__________________
Portagie1968 is offline  
Old 04-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portagie1968 View Post
I guess my years of facts and experience is now called opinions. Really nice. I luv it.
Well, Portagie1968 (since you have not filled in your profile we have no idea who you are; what you drive; or what you camp in), you are relatively new and have no proven track record. Now you may very well be the most knowledgeable member on the forum. We just don't know you yet. I am sure over time we will and your statements will be accepted "Ex Cathedra" as well they should be.

Until then (and I am not there yet either), when I assert something to be "true" I try very hard to make sure it is (or at LEAST show where my stupid idea came from).

If I don't know something to be fact, I try to preface with IMO (in my opinion). Don't always as sometimes I am reiterating "What everyone knows." EVERY time I have been wrong, it is because I did not independently verify (meaning I checked it myself) and accepted what some other authority told me was true. I have also been wrong when I made an assumption not backed by facts I checked, but based on information some one assured me was the case.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline  
Old 04-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Well, Portagie1968 (since you have not filled in your profile we have no idea who you are; what you drive; or what you camp in), you are relatively new and have no proven track record. Now you may very well be the most knowledgeable member on the forum. We just don't know you yet. I am sure over time we will and your statements will be accepted "Ex Cathedra" as well they should be.

Until then (and I am not there yet either), when I assert something to be "true" I try very hard to make sure it is (or at LEAST show where my stupid idea came from).

If I don't know something to be fact, I try to preface with IMO (in my opinion). Don't always as sometimes I am reiterating "What everyone knows." EVERY time I have been wrong, it is because I did not independently verify (meaning I checked it myself) and accepted what some other authority told me was true. I have also been wrong when I made an assumption not backed by facts I checked, but based on information some one assured me was the case.
Should have attached that to Corcus post. I thank you for proving me right. I do not need an internet research for some things. Called the school of hard knocks. I am not the most knowledgeable person here either. Just an old Portagie.
__________________
Portagie1968 is offline  
Old 04-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portagie1968 View Post
I thank you for proving me right.
It is about WHAT is right; not who.

FYI, The article recommended the plywood/vapor barrier on the ground (dirt) not poured concrete. I am sure it would not hurt, though.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline  
Old 04-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
It is about WHAT is right; not who.

FYI, The article recommended the plywood/vapor barrier on the ground (dirt) not poured concrete. I am sure it would not hurt, though.
Unfortunately it is both for me. Where I come from if U are not right and can prove it U maybe dead.

Also it says ground surface well referring to inside a garage.
__________________
Portagie1968 is offline  
Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #27
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Got it.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline  
Old 04-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
onetonford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 629
My first fiver was single axel with Michlen tires I bought the trailer in 1978.
In 2002 I put a new axel under it and used the axel for a trash trailer. Don't know when the tires were originaly put on but I used them for at least 33 years and they still look well for their age. They sure don't make them like that anymore. By the way only blow out I had on the other fiver was the spare on the back of the trailer which cost me about $1000 to repair the back siding that was ripped off.
__________________

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is online now  
Old 04-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 1,283
"Also it says ground surface well referring to inside a garage"
=======================================
Not quite sure what that sentence means, but if you are implying that "ground surface" also includes the concrete floor of a garage, I think you may be mistaken. The article that Lou posted clearly separated a concrete floor from a "ground surface".
I have had an old antique truck stored in the back of my shop, on concrete, for 30 years. Absolutely ZERO effect on the tires.
A fresh concrete floor may share some chemicals, but a cured floor is essentially inert.
__________________
crocus is offline  
Old 04-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Not quite sure what that sentence means, but if you are implying that "ground surface" also includes the concrete floor of a garage, I think you may be mistaken. The article that Lou posted clearly separated a concrete floor from a "ground surface".
I disagree from step 1. I quote "1. Make sure the floor / ground surface is free of any petroleum"

Sounds to me they are including a floor of a garage.
__________________

__________________
~Andrew
99 F250 Super Cab Short Bed 7.3 Powerstroke
84 24' Yellowstone Camino (oldie)

http://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 PM.