Thank you.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Lou, once again you come armed with facts rather than opinions.
Very much appreciated.
I never heard of concrete being bad for tires, but I know by experience that regular dirt definitely is, and something needs to be put down if a camper is to be stored outside on the ground.
Thanks again, great info.
I guess my years of facts and experience is now called opinions. Really nice. I luv it.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portagie1968 View Post
I guess my years of facts and experience is now called opinions. Really nice. I luv it.
Well, Portagie1968 (since you have not filled in your profile we have no idea who you are; what you drive; or what you camp in), you are relatively new and have no proven track record. Now you may very well be the most knowledgeable member on the forum. We just don't know you yet. I am sure over time we will and your statements will be accepted "Ex Cathedra" as well they should be.

Until then (and I am not there yet either), when I assert something to be "true" I try very hard to make sure it is (or at LEAST show where my stupid idea came from).

If I don't know something to be fact, I try to preface with IMO (in my opinion). Don't always as sometimes I am reiterating "What everyone knows." EVERY time I have been wrong, it is because I did not independently verify (meaning I checked it myself) and accepted what some other authority told me was true. I have also been wrong when I made an assumption not backed by facts I checked, but based on information some one assured me was the case.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Well, Portagie1968 (since you have not filled in your profile we have no idea who you are; what you drive; or what you camp in), you are relatively new and have no proven track record. Now you may very well be the most knowledgeable member on the forum. We just don't know you yet. I am sure over time we will and your statements will be accepted "Ex Cathedra" as well they should be.

Until then (and I am not there yet either), when I assert something to be "true" I try very hard to make sure it is (or at LEAST show where my stupid idea came from).

If I don't know something to be fact, I try to preface with IMO (in my opinion). Don't always as sometimes I am reiterating "What everyone knows." EVERY time I have been wrong, it is because I did not independently verify (meaning I checked it myself) and accepted what some other authority told me was true. I have also been wrong when I made an assumption not backed by facts I checked, but based on information some one assured me was the case.
Should have attached that to Corcus post. I thank you for proving me right. I do not need an internet research for some things. Called the school of hard knocks. I am not the most knowledgeable person here either. Just an old Portagie.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portagie1968 View Post
I thank you for proving me right.
It is about WHAT is right; not who.

FYI, The article recommended the plywood/vapor barrier on the ground (dirt) not poured concrete. I am sure it would not hurt, though.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
It is about WHAT is right; not who.

FYI, The article recommended the plywood/vapor barrier on the ground (dirt) not poured concrete. I am sure it would not hurt, though.
Unfortunately it is both for me. Where I come from if U are not right and can prove it U maybe dead.

Also it says ground surface well referring to inside a garage.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #27
Site Team - Lou

Got it.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #28

My first fiver was single axel with Michlen tires I bought the trailer in 1978.
In 2002 I put a new axel under it and used the axel for a trash trailer. Don't know when the tires were originaly put on but I used them for at least 33 years and they still look well for their age. They sure don't make them like that anymore. By the way only blow out I had on the other fiver was the spare on the back of the trailer which cost me about $1000 to repair the back siding that was ripped off.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
Old 04-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #29

"Also it says ground surface well referring to inside a garage"
=======================================
Not quite sure what that sentence means, but if you are implying that "ground surface" also includes the concrete floor of a garage, I think you may be mistaken. The article that Lou posted clearly separated a concrete floor from a "ground surface".
I have had an old antique truck stored in the back of my shop, on concrete, for 30 years. Absolutely ZERO effect on the tires.
A fresh concrete floor may share some chemicals, but a cured floor is essentially inert.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Not quite sure what that sentence means, but if you are implying that "ground surface" also includes the concrete floor of a garage, I think you may be mistaken. The article that Lou posted clearly separated a concrete floor from a "ground surface".
I disagree from step 1. I quote "1. Make sure the floor / ground surface is free of any petroleum"

Sounds to me they are including a floor of a garage.

http://rvpdi.com
Closed Thread