Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #1

Question Tires Again

This may sound kinda strange but I was curious. Do we replace tires by the date on the tire or by the in service date. Have a couple that were made in 2007 but were installed in 2009. Also watch the HI-Runs. I have one with no date made on it. Assume it is 2010 like the other one next to it.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portagie1968 View Post
Do we replace tires by the date on the tire or by the in service date.
Don't know about you Kimosabe, but the manufacturer date is the only one that matters. The solvents that keep rubber, well, rubbery, leach out over time resulting in cracking and checking; then ultimately failure.

That leaching happens regardless of how the tire is stored; sunlight just accelerates the process.

Tire Tech Information - Tire Replacement

Tires that have been in use for five (5) years or more should be carefully inspected periodically for external signs of aging. While this inspection will confirm the condition of the exterior rubber, it cannot assess internal degradation or damage.

Previously unused, never-mounted tires should not be put into service if they are more than six (6) years old even if they were properly stored.

All tires (including spare tires) manufactured more than ten (10) years previously should be removed from service and be replaced as a precaution, even if such tires appear serviceable and have not reached the legal wear limit.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
Site Team

I still can't understand why the side with the date is often mounted on the inside where you can't read or see it.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Old 04-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Don't know about you Kimosabe, but the manufacturer date is the only one that matters. The solvents that keep rubber, well, rubbery, leach out over time resulting in cracking and checking; then ultimately failure.

That leaching happens regardless of how the tire is stored; sunlight just accelerates the process.

Tire Tech Information - Tire Replacement

Tires that have been in use for five (5) years or more should be carefully inspected periodically for external signs of aging. While this inspection will confirm the condition of the exterior rubber, it cannot assess internal degradation or damage.

Previously unused, never-mounted tires should not be put into service if they are more than six (6) years old even if they were properly stored.

All tires (including spare tires) manufactured more than ten (10) years previously should be removed from service and be replaced as a precaution, even if such tires appear serviceable and have not reached the legal wear limit.
Thank you for the info. The 07 tires are begining to check all the way around on the outside. Best way I could put it. Being they are or almost 5 years old they need to be replaced before I head to Oregon for 7 days in July. It will be almost a 14 day total trip. Need to watch the tire dealer to make sure I get the newest tires this time.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Need to watch the tire dealer to make sure I get the newest tires this time.
If you go to a Goodyear dealer or big name tire store you are more likely to get "fresh tires." If you buy them from a corner garage; you may be buying "new" 15 year old tires he had in the attic over the bay.

I asked my Goodyear dealer for the newest ST Marathons available at the warehouse and preferred US or Canadian manufacture. He called and was able to get a set of 4 all made within 3 months from Gadsden, Alabama.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #6

The ones I bought in 2009 (that were made in 2007) were from a big dealer.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
The ones I bought in 2009 (that were made in 2007) were from a big dealer.
Sorry to hear that. Knowing how to read the tires is a real advantage when buying them. I don't think I would accept a tire older than a year as "new" regardless of who was trying to push them. They only have a useful life of six years from manufacture.

They lose 16% of their life every year they sit on the shelf.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #8

I really don't expect to get a lot of service out of ST tires. I replace them after the fourth season of use or 25,000 miles, which ever comes first. I might be wasting my money but I really want to enjoy trouble free RVing and getting rid of older tires is part of my strategy.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Old 04-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #9

If tires only last 6 years, the manufacturers must be making some terribly poor tires these days!
But when one considers that most campers sit outside all year long, and very few people buy tire covers, it is no wonder they deteriorate.
For those who are able to protect their tires from the elements, the tires should last much longer.
Our fifth sits in a heated and air-conditioned shop whenever it is not in use, and I don't think I will have to worry about tires, or much else, for a good ten years or more. The "rubber" roof, awnings, and gelcoat should likewise remain in excellent condition.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

The chemicals in tires leach out about 15%-17% every year regardless of how they are stored. More if unprotected & outside, so it makes no difference, 7 yrs and you are just asking for a