Old 03-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #21
Camper Less Camping

This is not directed to the OP...seems that for so long the RV industry has drilled in our heads displaying so many fifth wheels that are "1/2 ton towable" that many are trying to get the larger 5'vers and tow with 1/2 ton trucks!
Thanks to educated shoppers (like the OP) and helpful forums like this one that assist buyers with no BS information so they don't regret their purchase

Old 03-13-2014, 01:10 PM   #22

Well said Po-Boy. The auto industry is just as guilty with this perception. While some 5ers can certainly be towed by the new generation of "1\2" tons that have as much or more payload than older 3\4 tons both the RV and auto industry are too quick to make blanket statements regarding capacity or ability. Each case needs to be weighed on its own merits by the respective buyers. How can it be said that something is "1\2 ton towable" when payloads range from approximately 1000 to 3100 lbs?
When I am buying something I count on the salesperson to do the paperwork and not to provide information about specifications, I research and know what I want before I step foot inside of a dealership and I generally know more than the people that work there.

Tim & Jenn
2009 Forest River Grey Wolf 235 5er
2003 F-350 Superduty 6.0 l Diesel
DSP 17K
aiscpl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiscpl6 View Post
That's a good point although with the winters here 4 X 4 is a nice feature to have. As it turns out the HD payload package in the F150 Ecoboost is a rarity here and there are no trucks in Canada with the specs that I listed. We could get one factory ordered but it will take at least 12 weeks to get. We have decided to go with a F250 with a payload of 3100 lbs which gives us room to upgrade the 5er down the road if we chose to.
Hi Tim!

OUCH 12 Weeks? Our factory order was filled in 6 last year.

(Snarky comment follows but all in good fun

4x4s help in snow country...how? (Unless you are off-roading it) I have lived in snow country a lot over the years and, working for the US Army, meet a lot of young macho soldiers with 4x4s who are NEW to snow country and think " Well, I'll just put this sucker in 4x4 and no worries!" Sorry Snuffy, all 4 wheel drive gives you on icy/slick roads is power to 4 wheels to REALLY break traction

A limited slip differential however is another story (yep we got THAT on the F150 as well
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Hi Tim!

OUCH 12 Weeks? Our factory order was filled in 6 last year.

(Snarky comment follows but all in good fun

4x4s help in snow country...how? (Unless you are off-roading it) I have lived in snow country a lot over the years and, working for the US Army, meet a lot of young macho soldiers with 4x4s who are NEW to snow country and think " Well, I'll just put this sucker in 4x4 and no worries!" Sorry Snuffy, all 4 wheel drive gives you on icy/slick roads is power to 4 wheels to REALLY break traction

A limited slip differential however is another story (yep we got THAT on the F150 as well
Greetings,

Snarky comment heard and felt...lol...

We have those drivers here as well who seem to think that 4X4 will somehow make up for icy road conditions although there are those who drive non 4X4 that do not drive to conditions either.
The problem here is not so much driving on icy roads (highways) as it is getting around in town. I used to live in Ottawa and the snowplows would be out while it was snowing and the streets would be clear within hours of a heavy snowfall and they used salt. In Alberta the mentality is to let the snow storm end, wait a few days and then try and plow. This winter we had a lot of snow and the streets were terrible, cars getting stuck because they got hung up, I pushed a few out. There were people literally stranded at home because they could not drive on the streets for a week or more. And by the time that they do plow the snow is packed down and doesn't get removed and turns to ice that stays until spring.

Is 4X4 a absolutely required? No. Does it help you stop faster? Nope. But it sure does help when you are trying to go uphill from a stop on ice\snow. :-). My current truck does not have limited slip..:-(...next one will and there were a number of times that I would have not been able to move without 4X4.

Tim & Jenn
2009 Forest River Grey Wolf 235 5er
2003 F-350 Superduty 6.0 l Diesel
DSP 17K
aiscpl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #25
GLCM Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjon View Post
I was looking at the wildcat 312 BHX OK

Sent from my XT1080 using Forest River Forums mobile app

We just took delivery of a Wildcat 312QBX (pretty much the same as the 312BHX OK) and prior to ordering it I figured our F250 SD was more than capable of pulling this trailer...and frankly so did everyone else we talked to.

After we placed our order, I did a lot more research and decided that the F250 had insufficient payload capacity (1,616 lbs) to carry the approximate hitch weight of the trailer (~1,700 lbs dry up to 2,400 lbs depending on cargo) and the rest of our gear and people (another 500-800 pounds) plus the 5'ver hitch itself (~245 lbs). So, we upgraded to an F350 with a payload capacity of 3,130 lbs.

Best advice I can give is to check the B-Pillar (driver's side door frame) for info on your GVWR, max payload, max combined GVWR and Gross Axle Weight Ratings (GAWRs). I would find it hard to believe that a 1/2 ton would have the necessary payload capacity to safely carry the hitch weight, gear and people you'll want to take along...but many might tell you that it does.

Best wishes,

Bob...
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #26

the "5th wheel with a 1/2 ton discussion is always the hottest topic on here. Not all 1/2 tons are created equal, so lots of figuring needs to be done. Even with the most well equipped 1/2 tons, still don't believe that lots of the ones labeled 1/2 ton towable really are a good idea. The load in the vehicle and the trailer aren't figured in the manufacturers math. Throw some good hills in, and you got problems.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:37 AM   #27
JAYCO Representative

Exclamation What is a "half ton" truck in 2014?

I generally avoid this discussion since it always seems to get so heated (and I don't build trucks or hold an engineering degree), but here's where the discussion typically breaks down: not all "½ ton" trucks are created equally.

For example, look at Ford's towing specs here for their F-150 series:
2014 Ford F-150 | View Towing Specifications | Ford.com
MIN: 6,100 lbs. -----> MAX: 11,300 lbs.!
A 5,200 LBS. DIFFERENCE!

Now, look at the F-150 payload capacity specs here:
2014 Ford F-150 | View Payload Specifications | Ford.com
MIN: 980 lbs. -----> MAX: 3,120 lbs.!
A 2,140 LBS. DIFFERENCE!

The real question is, what is a "half-ton?" Start there before anything else. And then remember that you always want MORE TRUCK THAN TRAILER.
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #28

there lies most of the problem Wildcat Chris. Most people see that shiny new camper with the big "1/2 ton towable" sticker on it and go OOOHHHH, we can tow that. They don't take the time to educate themselves on what they really have for a tow vehicle.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:58 AM   #29
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
there lies most of the problem Wildcat Chris. Most people see that shiny new camper with the big "1/2 ton towable" sticker on it and go OOOHHHH, we can tow that. They don't take the time to educate themselves on what they really have for a tow vehicle.

X2...Since most people (RV sales & truck Owners) don't know/understand what is "1/2 ton towable", I'd rather see it removed from RV sales literature rather than use it as a catch to get an average buyer into a camper.
Not many folks out there are driving the max tow package F150 (11,300lbs) to handle the advertised 1/2 ton towable camper.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:30 AM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The other misconception is in 3/4 ton trucks. As Lefty stated, his F250 only had a payload of 1616lbs. My '11 2500 Chevy had a 2600lb payload (4x4 CC LB), and you could get capacities up to 3700lbs (std cab/bed, 2wd). That's more than 2x Lefty's truck, still in a "3/4" class. Regardless of truck "class", the build is what's important.

Tags
tow vehicle