Old 03-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
towing 31 qbsb

My wife and I just picked up our 5th wheel. I am pulling it with a 2008 f250 sd with the 6.4 deisel, crew cab short box. Husky 16k rolling hitch. Both of us being new were a little shocked a the jerk you would feel when you go over bumps. Is this normal or is it too much trailer for the truck.

capthowdy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
Head Rambler
With a GVWR of 11,900lbs you should be within the tow capacity without a problem. However, the pin weight might be heavy. You can buy a spring loaded pin box to help with that a bit but chucking happens with a 5er. Some are worse than others and I'm sure you'll get some really good advice on how to lessen the impact of it from soem of the 5er towers in this forum.

Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
Knower of Some Things
All kinds of different ways to go about this one. Several different pin boxes available. FR has available (that I know of), the mor-ryde (i think), which has a thick rubber bushing on it, and the trail air - with the big built in air bag cushion. The other way to go is to install an Airbox Revolution hitch in your truck. The hitch head is cushioned by two internal air bags. You can also install air bags on your truck. Don't waste too much money on upgraded suspension for your trailer. Shocks/air ride on the trailer will help a little, but the real shock is at the pin box.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
Thanks to both. I checked with the dealer and the pin I have is supposed to be the upgraded one but I have also looked at the moryde option. They recommended that I try this disk that goes on the pin and they think it will lessen it, however they did reaffirm that 5er's jerk.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
My brother has the same trailer and the same problem. He tried every possible solution without any relief and then we realized the dealer had installed his hitch to high. The recommended height for your trailer is 6"-8" of clearance between the top of your bed rails and the bottom you the trailer. You can place your truck and trailer on level ground and measure the distance with a tape measure. If it is more than the recommended clearance the trailer is putting more weight on the rear axle which can cause all kinds of problems. I would recommend confirming the clearance is correct before throwing a lot of upgrades at the problem. Although, I would highly recommend a set of air bags in the back. They sure smooth out the ride.
Rhexigent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
Since you just picked it up I am assuming it is empty. You may want to load it down with all your goodies and take it for a ride. I pulled mine home empty and thought it was going to tear loose on the RR tracks. But after the first outing it did suprisingly well. I also upgraded the rims to 16" and put on 235's with an E rating. I think this may help as well.
2006 Wildcat, 31QBBS
2004.5(LLY) GMC Duramax CC,SB
Treekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:30 AM   #7
Grape Escape
You have lots of truck for that trailer. We are new to 5th wheel as well and have Reese signature hitch, no fancy pin cushioner and rig pulls like a dream. No chucking whatsoever, quiet as can be. Sounds like it is not setup properly. We have 8" clearance and teflon disk on pin pulling 11500# trailer with 2000# pin weight with a 2009 Ford F250 V10 crew short box
2008 Cardinal 30RKLE 5th wheel sold
2006 Rockwood 2607, 2001 Traillite
55 nights 2009, 53 for 2010
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
An update

I have since loaded the trailer and put the teflon disk on. Much nicer ride than before but still plan on looking at the clearance of the bedrails a little more. I may be a touch too high and there is room to adjust it down.

Thanks again to all the input