Old 02-16-2019, 09:50 PM   #1
Now a "Top Member"

Towing with the new truck

Well, I finally got the trailer out for a good run today. I had to get it inspected (Texas), so I figured I would take a small run with it to see how it handled without airbags (my last two trucks really benefited from the airbags). Good news. It pulled wonderfully. It still has a bit of the bounce, but recovers easy enough. And with the camper package on the truck adding an extra leaf, the truck actually levels out perfect. This was a trip of only about 40 miles (a quick trip up the road), but it gave me good roads (mix of concrete and pavement). So as of right now, I cannot justify the cost or need for airbags. Which is a good thing. I of course will get a better feel on a real trip, so wish me luck.

At the inspection place, waiting for the guy to come check my lights (the sum total of the "inspection).

Click image for larger version

Name:	TruckCamper1 (Medium).jpg
Views:	191
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	196981

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:43 PM   #2

If you ever decide you need rear suspension help I bought aircells from airlift for just around $100 took 20 minutes to install in my 2016 f350 and only work when weight is applied

moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:44 PM   #3
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
If you ever decide you need rear suspension help I bought aircells from airlift for just around $100 took 20 minutes to install in my 2016 f350 and only work when weight is applied
Interesting, but these seem to be more for something that is a constant load. It may not be the right thing for me as I am still a "weekender" for camping. And I don't get out quite as often as I used to, so the truck is not loaded most of the time. But it is something to keep in mind.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:50 PM   #4

Actually I got them because they donít work until the truck squats the distance between them and the axle on my 350 I believe that was around 1/2 inch. They work like a Timbren or Sumo spring. By the way nice rig
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #5
Now a "Top Member"

Ah, got it. Well, I found out today, I will likely not need anything beyond what I have. I towed the camper up the road a bit (120 miles or so...two hours). And it towed perfectly. Roads were a mix of concrete, paved, and country roads (FM and State Hwy). Nothing really bad, but some good test roads (fairly rough and bumpy). There was very little of the bounce that my previous trucks had. I believe the extra spring for the camper package negated any need for the airbags. At least for my trailer. I am good to go.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Well, I finally got the trailer out for a good run today. I had to get it inspected (Texas), so I figured I would take a small run with it to see how it handled without airbags (my last two trucks really benefited from the airbags). Good news. It pulled wonderfully. It still has a bit of the bounce, but recovers easy enough. And with the camper package on the truck adding an extra leaf, the truck actually levels out perfect. This was a trip of only about 40 miles (a quick trip up the road), but it gave me good roads (mix of concrete and pavement). So as of right now, I cannot justify the cost or need for airbags. Which is a good thing. I of course will get a better feel on a real trip, so wish me luck.

At the inspection place, waiting for the guy to come check my lights (the sum total of the "inspection).

Attachment 196981
You can always up grade shocks . ranchero 9000 adjustable work well for me
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:40 PM   #7

That's a good combo. I actually bought bags for my truck and they didn't come in time to install before i picked up my trailer. After hooking it up the bags weren't needed. Shipped back. Out that money. But my 5er doesn't even level my truck
swampdonkey772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I'm towing a 5er with my F250 without any suspension modifications or add-ons. Tows perfectly.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:39 PM   #9
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
I'm towing a 5er with my F250 without any suspension modifications or add-ons. Tows perfectly.
Your camper is a little bigger than mine, but the weights are just about the same. And I agree...it tows perfectly. I am so glad I don't need the airbags this time around. I'm getting too old to do all that work!

Tags
towing, truck