Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2015, 07:56 PM   #1
PK4

Trade-in Value

Hi all
After an rv comes back from the factory fixed, does that affect the trade in value?

Thanks for all your replies
PK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:48 PM   #2

I would think having things that are broken or not working would affect value more than having a repair record that someone wouldn't know about anyway unless you told them.
GypsiesAtHeart2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #3

yes, it does. Being taken back to the factory and 'rebuilt' is never the same as if it was put together correctly the first time. Tear down and repair, is just that..... having a problem and having to return it back to the factory is a big neg-a-tory on the value. All dealers will be able to look into the history, if documented and judge that accordingly. So.... do not 'trade it', sell it out right to no one that you know and one that you will never see again in order to get top dollar on a defective product.... because you will not get top dollar from a dealer, only an excuse of 'returned to factory for being ill built and still may be defective..

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:43 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
yes, it does. Being taken back to the factory and 'rebuilt' is never the same as if it was put together correctly the first time. Tear down and repair, is just that..... having a problem and having to return it back to the factory is a big neg-a-tory on the value. All dealers will be able to look into the history, if documented and judge that accordingly. So.... do not 'trade it', sell it out right to no one that you know and one that you will never see again in order to get top dollar on a defective product.... because you will not get top dollar from a dealer, only an excuse of 'returned to factory for being ill built and still may be defective..
From what I've seen and heard, when the factory repairs/rebuilds a camper, it is better than the new ones and should NOT reduce the value. Selling it to a person and not disclosing the history is just a little shady in my opinion.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:47 PM   #5

I disagree with Brother Les. When I traded in my other two fifth wheels the dealer merely gave the trailer the once over and then looked up at the book value and that is what they offered me. Of course that was when the negotiations really began. I don’t believe there is a tracking system of repairs in the trailer industry.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:15 AM   #6
PK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
From what I've seen and heard, when the factory repairs/rebuilds a camper, it is better than the new ones and should NOT reduce the value. Selling it to a person and not disclosing the history is just a little shady in my opinion.
Thanks so much. I thought that once it is repaired, It is repaired. Repaired better than a new one is built.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:17 AM   #7
PK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I disagree with Brother Les. When I traded in my other two fifth wheels the dealer merely gave the trailer the once over and then looked up at the book value and that is what they offered me. Of course that was when the negotiations really began. I don’t believe there is a tracking system of repairs in the trailer industry.
Thank You, exactly what I thought !!
Old 04-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #8

Help, not hinder.

I would never even consider selling anything [car, truck, boat, RV, aircraft, etc] to anyone without explaining any and every problem that I was aware of. My "Name and reputation" are at stake, not to mention possibly the new owner's lives.
A new owner may not be savvy or mechanically inclined and not realize a problem until it's too late. I would want to help rather than hinder them.
I'm 70 years old and my name and handshake are important to me. This forum is about helping folks, not hiding problems like some dealers do.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK4 View Post
Hi all
After an rv comes back from the factory fixed, does that affect the trade in value?

Thanks for all your replies
You have (2) Issues here! #1 we have Traded in units to Dealers (Site Unseen) they offer a price (your choice) to take the offer! #2 Private Sale , the buyers want everything to work and look new, for Top Price! A Factory (Rebuilt/Repair) would be a BIG PLUS to a LOOKING buyer! IMO! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #10
PK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I would never even consider selling anything [car, truck, boat, RV, aircraft, etc] to anyone without explaining any and every problem that I was aware of. My "Name and reputation" are at stake, not to mention possibly the new owner's lives.
A new owner may not be savvy or mechanically inclined and not realize a problem until it's too late. I would want to help rather than hinder them.
I'm 70 years old and my name and handshake are important to me. This forum is about helping folks, not hiding problems like some dealers do.
Thanks !! I agree
Old 04-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #11
PK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
You have (2) Issues here! #1 we have Traded in units to Dealers (Site Unseen) they offer a price (your choice) to take the offer! #2 Private Sale , the buyers want everything to work and look new, for Top Price! A Factory (Rebuilt/Repair) would be a BIG PLUS to a LOOKING buyer! IMO! Youroo!!
Thanks.. Makes us feel so much better.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:27 AM   #12
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I agree 100 percent both reputation and honesty are important.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

"If a man's (or woman's) word isn't any good, neither are they" my grandpa(rip) always told me. My father(rip) reinforced with me and I in turn to my boys and we try to live by it.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:10 PM   #14

Quote:
When you have work done by a Dealer that involves the manufacture warranty work, it is noted in the manufactures data by your vin number. When I was speaking to Forest River a few weeks back about some issues, I was told that they have the history of all work done by the Dealer and that Lippert Components were able to pull up the same file and read what was in it. Factory returns/repairs would show up on the Forest River vin file if the Dealer were to inquired.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
When you have work done by a Dealer that involves the manufacture warranty work, it is noted in the manufactures data by your vin number. When I was speaking to Forest River a few weeks back about some issues, I was told that they have the history of all work done by the Dealer and that Lippert Components were able to pull up the same file and read what was in it. Factory returns/repairs would show up on the Forest River vin file if the Dealer were to inquired.
X2. I know for a fact Wildcat does. Not sure about the others. I don't know that it would affect value other than an accident. Honestly, it wouldn't bother me having one that had to go back to the factory.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
"If a man's (or woman's) word isn't any good, neither are they" my grandpa(rip) always told me. My father(rip) reinforced with me and I in turn to my boys and we try to live by it.
The heart of man is continually evil, who can know it... God knows it, for mans nature is carnal, because man was made a carnal creature of free will. Die to the first Adam and his nature and be reborn to the second Adam. Life is in the Spirit and choose Life.

I never said to lie to anyone. If your unit has to go back to the factory for a redo and if you wish to sell it, go right a head and tell the potential buyer that you had to send it back to the factory for some 'work' and 'fine tuning' and that it is so much better made than if it was 'done correctly' the first time that it came off the line.

Blessing

Old 04-18-2015, 09:26 PM   #17

I did not know that Brother Les. Your key phrase is, if the dealer were to inquire.

We traded our last Wildcat to the dealer sight unseen. The dealer saw it for the first time when our Silverback was ready for us to pick up. They gave the Wildcat a very cursory inspection (didn’t even open the slides) and they didn’t look at the VIN until our paper work was being filled out.

I really doubt that having the factory do repair work would have any effect on the trade-in price. If the dealer inquired about it I would tell the dealer the factory repaired it to a better than new condition and then ask for a much higher trade value.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #18

Quote:
I did not know that Brother Les. Your key phrase is, if the dealer were to inquire.

We traded our last Wildcat to the dealer sight unseen. The dealer saw it for the first time when our Silverback was ready for us to pick up. They gave the Wildcat a very cursory inspection (didn’t even open the slides) and they didn’t look at the VIN until our paper work was being filled out.

I really doubt that having the factory do repair work would have any effect on the trade-in price. If the dealer inquired about it I would tell the dealer the factory repaired it to a better than new condition and then ask for a much higher trade value.
Same here! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote