Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #1

Travel with TV mounted

I was wondering if anyone knows how secure the TV is on its factory mount and whether or not it is safe to tow with it in place.

My 5th Wheel came with the 32" flat screen upgrade and it came from the dealer mounted on the wall. I've towed with it a few times but the wall it is mounted on, doesn't seem that strong (I think all RV walls feel this way).

Can anyone say that the mount and wall are strong enough to hold the TV while towing?
twrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #2

We have a 32RL with factory mounted 32 inch screen. We have towed it 4000 miles over some rough roads without any problems. I'm not worried at all. I think the RV suspension is just that good.
Johnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #3

I take mine down for a piece of mind. They are very easy to take off mine slides up and down. Takes 2 seconds to do.
muzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:26 AM   #4

I will add my .02 but before I do I must state I have a XLR 27HFS. While towing my slide covers up the TV, plus there is a shelf that is directly under the tv, and I mounted the tv so you could reattach the stand and therefore add the strength of the stand to the mount. That being said If I didnt have this done I would remove the TV while trailering.
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Namchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:21 AM   #5

I leave mine attached to the wall. I guess if its going to come down it will have to take the wall with it. I feel its safer there than else were. If down I feel I would have to wrape it in something brace it against something etc. etc. I have a small flat screen in the bedroom that is freestanding in a cabinet, all I do for that is put a brace across the front so it will not fall forward. There is enough to do setting up camp and breaking down camp just do not see reason to add more.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #6

Our tv is mounted in a recess in the wall, so I took two of the styrofoam packing corners from the original box, and trimmed then so they would jam in the top corners of the recess, thus holding the tv firmly in place and eliminating any tendancy for it to bounce off of its mount. Seems to work 100%, although DW has not volunteered to ride in the camper to see!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
Now a "Top Member"

I have a couple of thousand good miles on mine, and have never done anything with the TV that came with the trailer. It's mounted in a recess in the wall and is a pain in the arse to remove and worse to put back (I did it to check connections once). But it has ridden just fine with no problems. I mounted one as well in the bedroom on a swingout arm, and that one stays mounted as well. But I do have that one strapped to the cabinet with a flat bungee. It stays put quite well. Again, no issues.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #8

With mine, there are 4 screws that hold the TV to the wall mount and they are difficult to get to. It's a pain to get to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzbomb View Post
I take mine down for a piece of mind. They are very easy to take off mine slides up and down. Takes 2 seconds to do.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #9

Secure

We have ours mounted on one of those articulating arms that allows the unit to swivel and pan left / right. I mounted a couple of small eyelet screws just left and right of the wall mounted bracket and use a short, thin bungee cord to snug it back and flush to the wall when travelling.

When we set up, the cord is quickly removable.
2010 Ford F-150 Super Crew
Equalizer Hitch
pmahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
JAYCO Representative

Thumbs up TVs that are made for travel...

The Jensen brand TVs that Wildcat uses are made for RVing, meaning, you do not have to remove them for travel. See this info for more:
JENSEN LCD TVs
Quote:
JENSEN is proud to offer high definition JENSEN LCD TVs, specifically developed for recreational vehicles and ready for life on the road. The only RV LCDs designed to withstand road conditions such as temperature changes, road vibrations, humidity, and condensation. Each JENSEN LCD HDTV features front speakers and controls, reinforced wall mounting points, and a durable internal metal structure.

Additionally, all Wildcat TV mounts are located on solid wood backer in the walls.
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #11

What about the Toshiba's that were the factory option in 2009/2010?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Chris View Post
The Jensen brand TVs that Wildcat uses are made for RVing, meaning, you do not have to remove them for travel. See this info for more:
JENSEN LCD TVs

Additionally, all Wildcat TV mounts are located on solid wood backer in the walls.

Tags
tv mount