Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #1

up grading to a wild cat sterling

Hello wildcat owners just trading up to a 2012 sterling 32RL from a 2008 Cherokee wolfpack looking forward to next year camping season
Anything I should be aware of or look for?
Thanks

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #2

Check for signs of fading on the top of the front cap. If that Sterling still has the tankless water heater read the various threads on the forum concerning them. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #3

Congratulations on the new Cat. As Oakman said, keep an eye on the front cap for any fading, if it does get it documented and let the warranty cover it being repainted. If you do have the tankless water heater there is a learning curve. Or in our case the learning curve make it full circle and Wildcat replaced it with a conventional gas/electric water heater.
OOPS, just noticed that you said it was a 2012 model year. Is it new old stock or pre-pleasured? Some of what I said may have no bearing if it is a pre-owned unit.

All in all, Wildcat offers a great product for the price....Welcome!!

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #4

We have a 2013 312BHX-OK and we have just been approved for a repaint on the front cap. Thanks to Forrest River!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 10-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #5

Yep. Watch the front cap I had mine repainted out of FR warranty but I had extended coverage.

Although Girard says to adjust the temperature by adjusting the flow of the hot water only, I installed a single lever faucet and found that it easier. I can control the flow rate with the up down motion and the temperature with a side to side motion. Much easier when you have soap on your face.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #6

this is a used unit that has only been out 4 times it still has the stickers on the fireplace and faucet's it has been stored in a machine shed (farmer in iowa owned it)
thanks for the advice

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #7

Does your unit have the heated and massaging recliners? if so you will love them. Also ours had the couch that folded out to a air bed and the couch is of poor design with the bottom drawer not staying closed during travel. I would sit on the couch and see if it is wobbly if it is it is just a matter of time that the drawer will not catch on the cheesy plastic clips that hold the drawer closed. The couch was one of my most irritating issues, FR would not warranty it and sent me a stupid nylon strap with a snap for a fix. I flipped over the couch and added framing to stiffen it up and added new latches to hold the drawer closed, now it is okay.

Mostly use it and enjoy it and happy camping!
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #8

Also ours had the couch that folded out to a air bed and the couch is of poor design with the bottom drawer not staying closed during travel. I would sit on the couch and see if it is wobbly if it is it is just a matter of time that the drawer will not catch on the cheesy plastic clips that hold the drawer closed. The couch was one of my most irritating issues, FR would not warranty it and sent me a stupid nylon strap with a snap for a fix. I flipped over the couch and added framing to stiffen it up and added new latches to hold the drawer closed, now it is okay.
I think we have the same couch. I too flipped it over and beefed up its framework.
Much better now.
Enjoy!

2014 Wildcat 344QB
2004 Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins
Ryde-Ryte Air Bags just to level
Bunch of Friends and Grand-Kids.
mike3510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
Travelin Man

Change the tires to better brand, the tires that come with it are trash. Put on LT tires if possible and you will not regret it. we had tread seperation on 3 of the original tires and 2 on the replacements from the factory, they were different brands, but all of them no name cheap tires that come on trailers. we have TOYO tires made in canada now, 6000 mi on them and no wear even showing yet and they travel down the road better.
change out the tankless heater to water heater and you will be happier. we have had our tankless unit for 3 years and we still have problems getting it regulated. Never can get hot enough water for doing dishes in the kitchen. we have the exact rig you are getting. we really enjoy most of it. there are minor quirks as all rigs have, we did put on heavier duty springs also due to some of the really bad highways out there. made a big difference in the bounce we had when towing. we travel in our rig about 5 months out of the year and we always try to go south to AZ from Oregon in the winter. Hope you enjoy it, we enjoy ours a lot.
Douglasdh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #10

Welcome fellow Iowan. Wildcat MAXX 29RG here. We call Iowa City home when we're not on the road.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post
Hello wildcat owners just trading up to a 2012 sterling 32RL from a 2008 Cherokee wolfpack looking forward to next year camping season
Anything I should be aware of or look for?
Thanks

I ordered one from the factory and it was nice but the dealer had it more than I had it. I kept it for one year and it stayed in the shop for half that time. It was a very pretty camper, I traded wildcat 32rl Sterling for a Cedar Creek 30 rl, a Forest River product and it has been a good unit. I hated to get rid of the 32rl, it had a bedroom fireplace, a 3d tv,dual pane windows, it was very nice, I loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #12
Travelin Man

what problems did you have with it.
Douglasdh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:36 PM   #13

My rig is in with the dealership right now getting a few items fixed under warranty before it expires. the big item is that the front cap has started to fade. The top flat surface of the cap was completely white from a dark grey. it also has started to creep down in the front. I am waiting for approval from Forest River to repaint it. I should hear back this next week. The other item I had was the floor developed a bit of a hump just inside the door and the floor sounded like wood splitting right in front of the fridge. This has been fixed so really the last issue is the front cap and I am worried that FR will not cover it, they should, but I am worried they will try to get out of it. Did you buy the Sterling?
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:07 AM   #14

Our 2013 Wildcat front cap also faded. Wildcat is aware of the problem and stepped up to the plate. The new painted front cap looks great.

The problem with the fade is gel coat related, not paint. However, once the cap is painted the problem will not come back in the future. Forest River did first try to have the local dealer wet sand the gel coat which did bring back the color for two weeks before beginning to grey once again.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #15

I have a 2012 Sterling 32RL and love it. I put in an additional AC in the bedroom as one unit could not handle the load. Have the tires balanced and they will be okay. If it has the instant water heater, take it out and put in a traditional one. They don't work. I have pulled ours about 30,000 miles with very few problems. I keep our unit stored inside, so I am not aware of any fading problems. It is very light for its size. I pull it with a heavy duty F 150 and have gone over several mountain passes. It does not lean in a cross wind and is an easy pull.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Johnv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, sterling