Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #21

I think a lot of this stuff depends on the dealers. Some are better than others.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #22

We bought at the RV show in Feb and we bought from Camping World because I figured they would have a good reputation.
Much of the work was not that time consuming. The black tank flush valve was installed backwards. Had them install 2 vent covers.
First time I took it in, I told them the water heater wouldn't work on shore power. Weeks later I pick it up and they say "theres a switch". I know there's a switch! They couldn't duplicate. Took it back and they actually checked it this time. Bad heating element. 😡
I don't blame the service writer. She did all she could. But when you have an appointment to bring it in and they tell you it will be a "few days" before they get to it and it's 6 weeks before they even look at it is rediculous. I could have been enjoying it for weeks had they just been honest about the time line.

2014 Wildcat 344QB
2004 Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins
Ryde-Ryte Air Bags just to level
Bunch of Friends and Grand-Kids.
mike3510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:50 AM   #23

I am rather tired of hearing "waiting on parts from forest river". The latest is "wrong parts where sent". They should have sent it in Braille so the quality control guys at wildcat could read it.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #24

The last two toyhaulers I have bought this is the way I do it. I buy the two year factory warranty. I fix everything I can and start a list of those I can't. In December or January I take it to my dealer. It is May before I make my first camping trip. This gives them four or five months to correct things. The longest I have had to wait is three weeks. Last year it was more like three days. I call ahead and describe the problems to them and they schedule a time for me to come in. So far it has worked for me. On this years list is a siding issue, an axle alignment problem, refrigerator panel and sticking screen doors.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #25

I'm in a similar boat. Took mine in July 23 for a punch list of knick knack items and three major ones. Rear window was leaking badly enough it left a trail on the window frame, the front cap leaks and fills up with water, and the kitchen slide was out of alignment.

They fixed about half of the little items, I had to fix the rest myself, they ordered the window. But get this, I had to adjust the slide myself at home. They lubed the weatherstrip and said it was normal.

To this day still no parts. They claim that the window frame they got, many weeks later, was bent. No word on the rest.

Three full months into this now and still not fixed. Other brands might be the same way but I'll guarantee FR has lost a future customer.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:23 PM   #26
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Unfortunately, we will probably see more and more of these stories, as production is at an all time high, and we all know, the more you build, and the faster you build, the more mistakes will be made. This is one of the biggest reasons, we are standing back and considering taking a different approach now. Camping in the temporary rig in the signature, has been quite peaceful. My wife even made mention last trip, that it was one of the funnest trips we've had this year. Nothing broke. When things happen, I handle the work, since I did the conversion. But, that said, nothing has went wrong. Things work better when you do them yourself, because you know that YOU will take pride in your work.

X2!!!
We've decided to take a break ourselves, though wanting togo a more expensive MH route, just don't feel chippy about what we may get and have to deal with...crazy industry...with that said, we're enjoying the Camperless Camping!

Sent via Cajun Po-Boy's Tech Gear

Old 12-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #27

Just wanted to update. 6 months still at the dealership waiting on parts.

Salt

Old 12-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Shaker View Post

Salt
I would like to say that is record for slow service, but sadly, it is probably not!

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #29
Always Learning

Quote:

Salt
Have you been in direct contact with the Wildcat warranty manager (bypassing your dealer entirely)? What do they say about all of this?
Old 12-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthomp10 View Post
I've had it trying to get my Fifth Wheel fixed. So much for warranties. As far as I'm concerned they aren't worth the paper they are written on.
Purchased our 282RKX in November 2013. During the walk through we noticed several places where there were dings and scratches. The tech touched some of them up with wood finish. One in a cabinet door was pretty deep. He took notes and said he would order a replacement door. Many calls later, we gave up. It obviously isn't going to be taken care of.
First trip out in March I noticed that I couldn't get my X-Chock between the tires on the roadside. Works fine on the curb side though. Obviously, one or both axles are out of alignment. Took the RV in to the dealer we bought it from and dropped it off. Got a call back a few days later saying that one axle was 1/2" off and they submitted it to the manufacturer to get the okay to fix it. I called at least once a week and when I finally got through to someone, they would tell me that they hadn't heard back yet. I the first part of June and told them I was coming to pick up the fifth wheel because the camping season was passing by and I was tired of waiting. They said they would call when they received word from the manufacturer.
All through the summer I called two to three times per week to see if they had heard anything. Couldn't get a call back. When I finally got through to them they said they still hadn't heard anything. I finally left a comment on Wildcat's Facebook page asking for help. About 2 weeks later I received a call from the manager of the service dept saying that they were tired of waiting to hear from Lippert and were just going to fix it and worry later about the warranty. He said it would take about 2 hours to fix. I tried for several weeks to make an appointment to bring it in but as usual, could not get a hold of anyone and couldn't get a call back. I finally just took it in and dropped it off on Monday, Sept 22nd. I told the receptionist that this had been going on since last spring and please make sure Josh, the manager knew that I had brought it in. I also mentioned that the rear stabalizers stopped working. I didn't hear from them so I called on Wednesday to find out what was going on. The manager didn't even know that the fifth wheel was there. The next day a tech called and said that even though the axle was out of alignment, it was within Lipperts specs so they would not warranty it. He said the stabalizers had a blown fuse that he replaced. He transfered me to the receptionist in the service dept and she repeated that Lippert would not pay for the repairs and that the fuse was not covered and I would have to pay for that.
I went in the following day to pick it up. The service dept manager was there and I unloaded on him. I said "You told me that you were tired of waiting for Lippert and that you were just going to fix it." Josh denied saying that. We had a few more choice words. The receptionist asked if I still wanted her to call me when they heard from Lippert. Josh said "No, don't bother!" and threw my key at me.
Obviously I will never set foot on the dealer's lot again. And, when it comes time to upgrade my Fifth Wheel, Forest River will probably not be on my list of manufacturers to choose from.
What's really sad is that you likely paid several thousand dollars more than you would have from a wholesaler like RVWholesalers just so you'd have a local dealer "take care of you." I don't think there is anything a local dealer can do that I can't do better. Anything I'm incapable of doing would require a trip to the factory. I LOVE dealing with RVW. Granted, the warranty issues I've had were mostly small things, but I just tell them I'll do the work, they contact Palomino, I get the parts, and it's quick, easy and done right. No way I'd send my camper to a dealer to sit for months while waiting on some warranty work to be done- incorrectly, most likely.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #31

I bought my trailer in April and after the initial trip in May I took it back to the dealer in Georgetown, Tx where I bought it. The service rep said 4 - 6 weeks before they could even look at it. After an email to the GM I was assured by the salesman that it would be taken care of.

After waiting another week and not hearing, I left messages with both the GM and salesman. Neither returned my call for several hours and finally the Sales Mgr called and after a heated discussion he said "come get your GD trailer" and that was the last time dealing with them.

The factory subsequently fixed all the problems within two hours.

Some make the extra effort and many don't.
TheBennetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #32

The dealer and Wildcat are in comunication as am I. I was working with Chris and now Bryan Knight at Wildcat.

I have expressed no rush but done correctly. The dealer is still waiting on FR for parts. I have picked the unit up once and the dealer has dropped it off once (200 miles away).

Shower door has been out of adjustment and worked on 3 times, slides adjusted 3 times, items installed crooked. Wrong caulking used on cap. Chunks of particle board on the underside of slides. 44 items over all. Yes I could correct many but I work and when I purchase something brand new I want it right.

Salt

Old 01-06-2015, 06:55 PM   #33

Just a quick update. After a fourth unsatisfactory delivery my dealer purchased the Wildcat back and made me a very fair deal on a new Silverback. It has been a long 7 months, the dealer said they would make it right and they did.

Funtown RV in Waco.

Salt

Old 01-07-2015, 08:24 AM   #34

Quote:
Just a quick update. After a fourth unsatisfactory delivery my dealer purchased the Wildcat back and made me a very fair deal on a new Silverback. It has been a long 7 months, the dealer said they would make it right and they did.

Funtown RV in Waco.

Salt
I'm glad there is a happy ending to your story. It's also good to read a positive post on "Funtown RV", they didn't impress me in the past. I'll take you post as a check mark to the positive side of my dealer network brain scale.
Time to go camping?

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #35

Already hate the warranty response from dealer.

Been two weeks. Awning not working nor awning lights. Bought it barely one month ago. Dealer really can't give me a time frame.
rpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:27 PM   #36

It amazes me that with each new Forest River I purchase, the wait time for warranty parts gets longer and longer... Waiting for replacements for the warranty replacements that came from Forest River damaged or incorrect. Will be 7 months since initial parts order next week.

rpatterson, I can almost guarantee you that your awning wiring is pinched/cut/shorted where it comes into the camper. Ours went out on the shakedown trip but wouldn't roll up. My wife is there holding the switch and looking at me. I say, "Honey, you know that per piece production worker botched the wiring." DW looks at me and says, "Mr. Engineer, I learned not to question you sometime around the age of 20 [that was a long, long time age]." I simply went to the motor head, traced the wire to where it penetrated, gained access to that on the inside and found the ugliest drill hole I ever saw penetrating the 1" square aluminum tubing for the bulkhead wall for the bed. It came in at a 45 degree angle crossing through two sides of the tubing. The drill bit obviously jammed on the way through as the hole was oblong, burred, and had a razor sharp sliver of metal hanging from it. The wiring was pulled right through that hole and the hot wire had been shaved of 1.5" of insulation and was going to ground... I laughed, shook my head, and put the awning in using the emergency roll-up screw in the motor housing. Came home and pulled out the wiring deburred the hole installed a couple grommets and ran new wiring properly.
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #37

Souns like my awning

Went out fine first time, but then would not come back in. Then the out switch brought it back in but it rolled up backwards. Plus the awing lights only light up halfway.
rpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
It amazes me that with each new Forest River I purchase, the wait time for warranty parts gets longer and longer... Waiting for replacements for the warranty replacements that came from Forest River damaged or incorrect. Will be 7 months since initial parts order next week.

rpatterson, I can almost guarantee you that your awning wiring is pinched/cut/shorted where it comes into the camper. Ours went out on the shakedown trip but wouldn't roll up. My wife is there holding the switch and looking at me. I say, "Honey, you know that per piece production worker botched the wiring." DW looks at me and says, "Mr. Engineer, I learned not to question you sometime around the age of 20 [that was a long, long time age]." I simply went to the motor head, traced the wire to where it penetrated, gained access to that on the inside and found the ugliest drill hole I ever saw penetrating the 1" square aluminum tubing for the bulkhead wall for the bed. It came in at a 45 degree angle crossing through two sides of the tubing. The drill bit obviously jammed on the way through as the hole was oblong, burred, and had a razor sharp sliver of metal hanging from it. The wiring was pulled right through that hole and the hot wire had been shaved of 1.5" of insulation and was going to ground... I laughed, shook my head, and put the awning in using the emergency roll-up screw in the motor housing. Came home and pulled out the wiring deburred the hole installed a couple grommets and ran new wiring properly.
My parts were damaged, inside of a perfect and unharmed shipping box. They were put into the box bent.

My awning motor wires are going through the same hole, I split a length of hose, slipped that over the wires and sealed it instead of taking the awning half off to repair from the outside as I can't access it from the inside easily.

I also replaced the scotch locks used to connect the wiring with heat shrink butt connectors. Sometimes you just gotta shake your head.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty