Old 10-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #1

Warranty work...how long is to long?

Ok Folks,

We bought our Wildcat 313RE the first part of July. It went back in for warranty work after 2 weeks. I used it again in August and it is still in the shop. The dealer picked it up and delivered it each time. I have another trip planned in November. The dealer will deliver and pick it up again if needed.

With the fall weather I am missing those coastal runs when the weather is perfect.

How long is to long to be at the dealer for repair? The first time was understandable. The second I was a little hot and listed every item I wanted addressed. It came out to 40 pages with pics. Items from a shower door strip to crooked and warped wheel well fenders, warped slide floors and a deadbolt that doesn't latch properly among numerous other items.

How long would you wait?

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #2

My dealer had mine for 23 days. They said it was because of getting the materials/parts from FR. I didn't believe them.

I thought 23 days was way over the amount of time for the problems they were working on.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #3

Tried taking mine to a dealer about six months after I took delivery, was told it would be several weeks before they could look at it, slide wouldn't work. Looked at it myself, took pictures and ordered the part needed from Forest River. Five days later UPS delivered the part and in a couple hours I had the slide working. Wanted to take it in because of the dent on the front cap, service department didn't want to bother with it / me, didn't buy from them, fixed it myself. So far I have taken care of any issues that have come up, short of a bent frame I think I can handle most anything else.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #4

Had mine in 2 different dealers one in Florida and one in Michigan ,for a total of 66 days.
Finally it went to the factory for the proper repairs. 1 day.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:45 AM   #5

The secret to warranty work it to not use it unless it is absolutely required. Many items that could be taken care of yourself and done so would save an great amount of time that it sets in the shop. Yes there are items that you can't handle yourself and do need the warranty to handle these situations.

My first warranty trip to a local dealer took 4 weeks, but this was over the Christmas Holiday which is the same time period that Forest River shuts down for a few weeks so no parts could be ordered or repair authorization given for warranty work.

The second trip for warranty work the trailer was gone for 6 weeks. We delivered it to Elkhart, IN at the Wildcat factory repair facility. We knew it wouldn't be touched for a few weeks due to the FROG Rally and all the techs being sent to do repairs for owners at the rally. Wildcat had the RV transported back to our house and parked in the driveway here just south of Dallas.

The list was completed without fail. This included replacing the vinyl flooring, repair of a sidewall crack, replacing the entire exterior side wall, painting the front faded cap, removed the instant hot water heater and replacing it with a standard gas/electric model, the entire under belly material replaced, all pretty major things in my book. I am still making a few adjustments here and there, but these are all little things that I can do without needing a warranty tech to do it.

Why do I take care of the little things myself, well it keeps my Wildcat where I can use it when I wish, rather than sitting on a dealers lot on their time frame at my mercy.

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #6

The repairs were all major items, i fix most things but not going to pull 7 windows to reseal them, Paint work and replacing the entry door 2 times,
Old 10-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #7

I waited 2 and half weeks for dealer to fix my furnace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgeogull View Post
I waited 2 and half weeks for dealer to fix my furnace.

What was wrong with it?

Turbs
Old 10-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #9

They changed the circuit board. Took about an hour. Extended warranty allows them to come to me for warranty work. They took over 2 weeks. I'm about a hour and half drive from them.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #10

[QUOTE=jonrjen;715916]The secret to warranty work it to not use it unless it is absolutely required. Many items that could be taken care of yourself and done so would save an great amount of time that it sets in the shop. Yes there are items that you can't handle yourself and do need the warranty to handle these situations.

My 2 cents from the under sized camper crew. x2. Unscrewed the door strut and moved it to keep the door from swinging into the awning arm. Rewired the stereo since it had 3 speakers tied to the left channel and only one to the right. Have a list of items found in the pdi (I know, should have left it and not took it home or paid for it without corrections first...the issue was 7 hours later and the truck and camper hooked up when we learned the keys didn't work either) to go back next Tuesday. Which is after the end of our camping season here.

Tags
warranty