Old 10-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #1
What model do you call Home away from Home?

Just curious as to what model of Wildcat you call home when you are away from home? And what was your deciding factor that pushed you to pay the price for admission on that model?

Have you been pleased or wish you had gone a different route?

For us it is the Wildcat 353LS. We liked the 1 1/2 bath design providing a restroom on each level, the size of the master bath, the open feel of the living area and workable island kitchen design. As well as the expansive amount of storage cabinets.

To date we are very pleased with our choice, we are looking for a designer way to lighten up the somewhat dark interior. I have found out how to remove the faux fireplace stone which I think we will replace with a tile front as well as use matching tile on the kitchen wall space. The new faux fireplace front will be mounted in such a way that it can be removed with ease and no tools. We will then have the option of a out of sight storage area for valuables should we choose (there is some pretty good storage room on either side of the fireplace).

Here is a link to our floor plan:
Forest River Wildcat 353LS-OK Fifth Wheel

Your turn..........

2013 Ford F350 FX4 4x4 PSD
2013 Wildcat 353LS

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
Good Topic 'jonrjen'...

We came by our '07 Wildcat 30rlbs more or less by accident .

I was advertising for a specific model of an Okanagan 5th wheel, as they are no longer manufactured.
The seller of our Wildcat contacted me with a very attractive price and I couldn't refuse at least taking the time to look at it.

Long story short, this Wildcat had most of the features we were looking for.
Light stain colored wood keeping it bright inside, 2 slides, lots of storage and plenty of opportunity to customize the storage and to add our personal touches. It was virtually unused, plastic and labels were still everywhere and no signs of wear.
It enabled us to move up in size at a very comfortable price.

Having only owned our Wildcat a few months we are very pleased thus far . We are confident it will serve us well.

Side note... we were set on making our next 5th wheel come with 'dual pane windows', unfortunately this unit isn't.
However, after speaking with some friends who just dropped $50k on a new Snow River TT , with dual pane windows , they were complaining of extreme condensation inside, along with many other problems.
From experience ..without dual pane windows, I know that if you provide adequate ventilation when cooking, showering etc. and maintain air movement during wet cold days condensation can be kept to a minimum.

Looking forward to more posts on this topic.

'07 WildCat 30 RLBS ~ West Coast Edition ~
Trail Air - Tri Glide Pin Box
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 Diesel Lariat 89k miles
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
The wildcat was our first choice but we couldn't find a used one with a bunkhouse.

Life is a highway!!!!!
jimdd810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker
I do run ceramic heaters and a dehumidifier during the cold seasons. My windows collected puddles on the split level. You need to monitor the level on the dehumidifier or that puddle will be on the floor...
Don & Dona W/yorkies Gizmo, Master Chief, & Tali
2011 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS 2015 Ford 6.7 XLT
2010 Full Timers & Still Going
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
What closed the deal for us on the 31TS were the kitchen cabinets....they go up and down!! I'm only 5'.
Kevin and Sandi
2010 Wildcat 31TS
2011 F-350 Lariat edition 4x4 diesel long bed
TeamPlumlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
344QB the duel bunk slides that sleep 6 in their own beds in that room sold us
2012 Wildcat 344QB

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
Last week we did the deal on a new 2014 Wildcat 293 REX (light model). This was the 1st RV we had a liking for and after looking at around 25+ at an RV show we started coming back to this one. After a 2nd look we worked out a deal.

The things we love are the:
> layout
> ceiling fan
> Corian counters
> big back window
> lots of windows (12)
> drop down tv behind fireplace
> fireplace
> plus the outside kitchen with fridge, tv, stove & grill.
> We like the fact that we can access the entire kitchen, bath & bedroom with the 3 slides in, great for a break on the road or overnighting in a truck stop.
> length, 31'9" - we want to keep it smaller
> kitchen pantry
> booth dinette - for additional storage

A couple things we didn't like is the:
> placement of outdoor speakers. They are in the slide & not under the awning - who sits over there???
> placement of the silverware drawer. Too low. there goes my back

Some things I would change are:
> I would have liked the bed to be on the slide as opposed to the wardrobe. Then a wardrobe across the front would have provided more storage & a w/d hookup ( not that I want one ).
> Open Range uses 3 - 20 lb. propane tanks instead of 2 - 30's. In an emergency you can exchange them at many different places. I like that idea.

As I said we just bought the 5v'er and haven't used it yet and now have to wait until spring. And now we need to shop for a newer pre-owned truck to tow it. We hope to be FT'ing in it by spring of 2016!

See you 'round the campfire.

John & Marie
GypsiesAtHeart2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
We just bought a Wildcat 327ck this spring. It has a queen size bed in a slider, good size bathroom, a kitchen with wrap around counters, and an open living area with plenty of storage. The nice part is the bedroom, bathroom, and frig that all could be used when you stop along the roadside for a break.
Ed & Ruthann / Toby and Tucker
2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab 2500 Duramax
2014 Wildcat 327ck
2015 129 nites
2016 40 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:06 AM   #9
We have a 29RG Wildcat MAXX that we keep in the Seattle area and will be purchasing a MAXX 28RKX next Spring for our Winter trips to the South. The rear kitchen is a big plus for us as it really allows a floor plan that has a distinct kitchen, living, and bedroom.
Days camping (2015)----88 days
Days camping (2016) ---110 days
2016 Wildcat MAXX 28RKX (33' TT), 2007 13' Scamp
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:14 AM   #10
Mod free 5er
2012 STRICTLY STOCK Flagstaff 8529RKWS riding on Goodyear Marathon LR D balanced tires with TST TPMS 507 Flow thru sensors on metal stems.

OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote