Old 06-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I always love when someone compares a house on wheels to an automobile and the difference in quality as well as the durability.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"

Old 06-18-2014, 10:21 AM   #12
Plain Old Member

Think it was really directed more at foreign competition in the RV industry. The US has no competition in that market really.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Think it was really directed more at foreign competition in the RV industry. The US has no competition in that market really.
BigJohnD,
Why does everybody believe that a foreign made trailer would be better then the us?
Becuase there cars/vehicles are better?

Just because a foreign auto maker can build a car to last 300,000 + miles doesn't mean there house on wheels quality will be better . No?
😆

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 06-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #14
Plain Old Member

I don't. Not arguing. Would just be interesting to see some competition and see what someone else would offer, and what the reactions from over here would be.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I don't. Not arguing. Would just be interesting to see some competition and see what someone else would offer, and what the reactions from over here would be.
Lol not arguing either.
Just pointing out how silly the comparisons are.

Maybe someday we'll see a China bomb on a China trailer in the us.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 06-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #16
Plain Old Member

Wonder if they put US tires on some of the foreign RV's, and they call them American bombs? Who knows. Asside from all that, it is interesting to watch how monopolized all of it is becoming. Pretty much down to a few major players, and they continue to buy. Seems like Lippert or Thor buys someone out every month.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I can only speak for Sabre as I've been to the manufacturing plant and seen first hand that they appear to have good qc plans in place.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 06-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I can only speak for Sabre as I've been to the manufacturing plant and seen first hand that they appear to have good qc plans in place.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"

A plan is only as good as its execution...
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #19
DDC

You are spot on BigJohnD, the more they buy up the more closed competition becomes and the less choices the consumer has and the less choices means the manufacturing companies don't need to bother too much about things like quality pride in product because if it is the only one around the suckers will buy it in any condition.
When companies like Honda in the auto industry started importing to North America their product was not very good in many ways but it was different, and they hit the market at the right time just as the first oil 'crisis' started, gezz if you looked away they started to rot and if you leaned on them they dented, I remember machining rotors on an early Honda and cutting into rust pockets, the thing is they learned and improved and through that so did the other manufacturers, but it would not have if there was no competition, as for comparing autos to trailers it is a natural selection who would have thought about all the electronic equipment working in an auto bumping down the road.
The RV industry has a lot of room for improvement but I question whether they will use it purely because no one is pushing them so they see no gain.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Wonder if they put US tires on some of the foreign RV's, and they call them American bombs? Who knows. Asside from all that, it is interesting to watch how monopolized all of it is becoming. Pretty much down to a few major players, and they continue to buy. Seems like Lippert or Thor buys someone out every month.
Speaking of Thor, that reminded me of something interesting I read awhile back after seeing a television documentary on AirStreams, and just how many of them ever produced were still on the road (which was a way high percentage).

I haven't verified the wikipedia article, but remember it sticking out in my head, just how many manufacturers of trailers there were ...........in 1936 .

Here is the excerpt about Airstream, which I figured the history buffs may find interesting:

Of more than 400 travel trailer builders operating in 1936, Airstream was the sole survivor of the Depression. During World War II, travel became a luxury most could not afford and non-military industries faced an acute aluminum shortage. When World War II ended, the economy boomed, and people's attention once again turned towards leisure travel. Byam's company went back into production in 1948. In July 1952 a new facility in Jackson Center, Ohio, was established.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
factory