Old 02-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #1

Unhappy Wildcat 28RK AC problems

We have 2008 28RK which we purchased new in Nov 2007. There is almost no air flow thru the AC vents. I've removes the vent covers and it appears that the vents themselves are colapsed. The first year of use was almost all dry camping so we didn't discover this until the warrenty was out. I took it to the dealer where we purchased it and they did something charged me $100 and sent me on my way. No joy, just as bad as ever.
I've taken a two inch plastic drain piple and pushed it into the vent about 8 inches. That opened it up a little, but I'm concerned I will pop the nails and the ceiling will sag.
Anybody ran into this problem? Any suggestions?

Old 02-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
camping

have you tried using a shop vac to see if there is some debris blocking the lines. maybe try the small hose.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

With all of my vents open, I don't get much air flow out of them. Close off all but a couple, and I can get a pretty good flow.

My "vents" are just channels cut out of the foam insulation board.

Another thought. On my AC, there is slide that allows all of the air to come directly out of the AC for quick cool down. Could your slide be in the open position ???

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

The "fast cool down" vents on the air handler is an either/or not both deal.

You either use the fast vents to cool the area immediately around the AC OR you close them and get duct cooling. There is not enough fan power to blow enough volume to do both.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #5

Something to try, remove the closest supply discharge defuser to the unit, use a flash light and lay it in the duct then take an inspection mirror and have a look inside, see if there is anything there.

Another thing you can do at the same location is to take a wet vac and put it on reverse to where the air is blowing out and stick it in the vent, but remove the grill on the a/c unit from the ceiling first.

If there is a blockage you may have to force air into the duct work in the opposit direction.

Now before you do all of this i suggest to get up on the roof and remove the cover to the unit and take a look, there is a small piece of duct work that is attached to the supply side of the unit to the duct work of the camper, if it came apart then most likely the supply air is being discharge around the unit and blowing out side. One quick way to tell, if you get on the roof while the a/c is on and you fell cold air being discharged around the unit then that will tell you where your a/c is going.

The "Fast Cool" never works right for me because of two reasons 1. the supply and return is right next each other and 2. the location of the T-stat, a large amount air being dumped in one spot will cool the area around the T-stat but will not cool the entire space of the camper. The 13,500 BTU unit was not enough to cool my 34' Rock Wood above90 degrees, i installed a 15,000 BTU Carries unit and does a great job.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #6

ac air flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by driddle View Post
We have 2008 28RK which we purchased new in Nov 2007. There is almost no air flow thru the AC vents. I've removes the vent covers and it appears that the vents themselves are colapsed. The first year of use was almost all dry camping so we didn't discover this until the warrenty was out. I took it to the dealer where we purchased it and they did something charged me $100 and sent me on my way. No joy, just as bad as ever.
I've taken a two inch plastic drain piple and pushed it into the vent about 8 inches. That opened it up a little, but I'm concerned I will pop the nails and the ceiling will sag.
Anybody ran into this problem? Any suggestions?
check and see if your fan is on high speed and check your indoor coil