Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2008, 01:24 PM   #1

Wildcat 30LSBS 2008 mode

Hello i am new to this list and here to see if anyone has had electrical breaker issues in this trl? I have had trouble with the a/c breaker throwing since trl was new! Take back to dealer several time and then main breaker started throwing! To all out there that don not know the only answer from forest river basically is to run hot water heater off gas! The hot water heater pulls 11 amps, A/C pulls around 13 amps and converter pulls around 8 amps. Any insight on these issues would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Jason
yazookid1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #2

I'm not and expert and have not had these issues, but thought I might try to help. I know house breakers can wear out and need to be replaced if they have been used and tripped to many times. So I guess have you tried replacing them?

Brock525
2009 Wildwood 26TBSS
Brock525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:40 AM   #3
Site Team

to our little part of the world.

Our A/C breaker will trip if I short cycle it with the t-stat. We run everything on AC power and I don't remember the main breaker ever tripping. Running the W/H on propane is a stop-gap measure. Sure, it'll stop the breakers from tripping but you shouldn't have to do that. You don't say if this is happening at several places or if you've been at a permanent site. Be sure to check the voltage because a low voltage will cause high amp draw, especially from the A/C.

One thing to do is make sure your battery(s) is/are good and fully charged. That way you lessen the draw from the converter and that should put you below the 30 amps. Another thing is to get the actual amp readings off the individual items to verify the amp draw yourself if you haven't already.

It sounds like your A/C was the first culprit. The dealer may have replaced that breaker therefore moving the symptom to the next breaker in line (the main). This is where I'd start investigating.

You can upgrade the RV to 50amp service but that's an added expense that you may not want to incur.

Post back with some more info and we'll see if we can help you narrow this down.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #4

I'm sorry but you will have to run the hot water heater on propane. Most, if not all Wildcats are 30 Amp service. The water heater and A/C are already drawing 24 amps, by the time you add in the draw of the converter and probably the fridge I'm sure you've exceeded the 30 amps. Anytime the electric element is heating water and you have the A/C running it will probably trip the breaker.

I'm surprised your dealer didn't inform you of the 30 amp limitation.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:46 PM   #5

I have an 08 Flagstaff,with a 30 amp plug, and I run the water heater, converter, refrigerator, AC on high, and have never tripped the breaker ... Oh and the Concertone surround sound with sub, while playing a DVD movie, and viewing it on the 22" TV -all on and STILL no problem. But with all that on, I tried to cook with my electric frying pan, and it then tripped the main on the post outside. So we cut the AC off till we finished. Sounds like you have a short in something, possibly. I have the WFCO converter, dometic ref., 13,500 btu AC, and 3 way 6 gal. water heater.
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wildcat