Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2015, 01:36 PM   #1

Wildcat 312BHX

I have been seriously looking at purchasing a 312BHX for my family. This looks to be the perfect floorplan for my family, and the amenities on this trailer look unbelievable. I do have a couple questions though.

Would you recommend getting the 2nd AC unit in the bedroom? I live in Wisconsin, so we don't get too many days where it is real hot, but the humidity can sometimes be an issue here. Does the main AC unit effectively cool the entire trailer? Or is a 2nd AC unit normally recommended for a trailer this size?

Also, I am wondering how much my truck will sag when I hook this trailer up. I have a Chevy 2500HD. Does anyone have any pictures of their 312BHX hooked up to their truck?

And thinking about towing the trailer, does anyone recommend any pinbox upgrades to make it to effectively? Would the Mor-ride pinbox be something that I should consider?

Thanks.
JeremyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:31 PM   #2
GLCM Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyN View Post
I have been seriously looking at purchasing a 312BHX for my family. This looks to be the perfect floorplan for my family, and the amenities on this trailer look unbelievable. I do have a couple questions though.

Would you recommend getting the 2nd AC unit in the bedroom? I live in Wisconsin, so we don't get too many days where it is real hot, but the humidity can sometimes be an issue here. Does the main AC unit effectively cool the entire trailer? Or is a 2nd AC unit normally recommended for a trailer this size?

Also, I am wondering how much my truck will sag when I hook this trailer up. I have a Chevy 2500HD. Does anyone have any pictures of their 312BHX hooked up to their truck?

And thinking about towing the trailer, does anyone recommend any pinbox upgrades to make it to effectively? Would the Mor-ride pinbox be something that I should consider?

Thanks.
We have almost the same 5'er...ours is the 312QBX. I believe the difference is in the bunkhouse...yours would have an outside kitchen where we have an inside dinette/bunk bed.

We only have the single AC installed but did have it pre-wired for the 2nd AC unit so we could easily add it if need be. So far, we don't see the need...but we have low humidity here in Colorado. If we decide to vacation in a hotter or more humid climate we may wish we had it as on hot days out on the plains the single AC can struggle some to keep it cool inside. I'm planning to add some insulation to the AC condenser box and wrap the cold side AC lines to see if that will improve its performance enough.

We tow with an F-350 and the truck drops about 2" carrying the pin weight which when scaled was at about 2,100# with total trailer weight at about 11k#. There is at least one picture of the combo in my profile photo albums.

We have the factory installed Mor/Ryde pin box with a B&W turnover ball/companion hitch and so far have seen no reason to upgrade the pin box...although I'll admit to looking at the 5th Airborne pin box as an option should it become needed.

We love our 312QBX and would recommend it to anyone that has need for a bunkhouse model.

Be sure to check your TV payload sticker to ensure you have the needed capacity.

Happy camping!
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:57 PM   #3

Picking up my 312bhx tomorrow..... Had one similar length.... 1 A/C not good.... But heat is a major factor in our great state.... Having the 2 A/C in the new one.... Can't wait.... I have an F250 and had no issues with the older trailer and the 312 is lighter... Will let you know about sag tomorrow
sears532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:19 PM   #4

Got it today.... Easiest pulling ride I have ever pulled.... Hardly any sag.... Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1437441529.138941.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	83543
Old 07-20-2015, 10:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sears532 View Post
Got it today.... Easiest pulling ride I have ever pulled.... Hardly any sag.... Attachment 83543

Sears, do you have a diesel in your F250?

By the way, that trailer looks beautiful! Congrats!!!
Old 07-21-2015, 05:31 AM   #6

Yep... Diesel.... No other way to go!! ...Here it is pulling the other rig Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1437474635.137918.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	83565
Old 07-21-2015, 07:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sears532 View Post
Yep... Diesel.... No other way to go!! ...Here it is pulling the other rig Attachment 83565
Sears, I have actually been looking at that same Hideout model as well. Is there any specific reasons that you made the switch to the Wildcat?
Old 07-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #8

Let me count the ways.....
1. One A/C .... In Texas heat with something that large.... Not good
2. 30 amp..... Could not keep up with needs
3. No heater vent in master bedroom
4. Side steps to master bed not good for anyone over 5'5"
5. Double bunks.... Not good for a bunch of teenage boys

It had several good things and did get us to understand what we needed and understanding 5th wheels.... Just not the model for us
Old 07-22-2015, 09:21 PM   #9

I've got a 312QBX with a single A/C unit, but it is the upgraded 15k BTU unit. We live in Michigan and it has been plenty of cooling so far... Just did 2 weeks in Florida earlier in the month in 90-100 degrees plus humidity, and we did fine, but I think if I was going to be camping in that environment frequently, I'd get the 2nd unit, but it is not the norm for us... It is prewired, so as long as you get the 50 amp service you could easily add the 2nd unit later if you need it. Keep in mind that the 2nd unit replaces the roof vent in the master bedroom, and only blows cold air into the bedroom, it doesn't connect into the main ductwork.
pbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:56 PM   #10

I agree.... But that is the norm for us.... Will see how it goes.... We are reloading the new one and taking it out the last weekend of July on a weekend shake down.... Will keep up the thread to let y'all know how it goes
Old 07-22-2015, 11:04 PM   #11

We just purchased the 312bhx a few weeks ago. I have a 13' f250 diesel with airbags and b&w gooseneck. I changed the pinbox immediatley and got a reese goosebox with 5th airborne. Without airing up the bags it did squat a little, but i always air up when pulling gooseneck. The goosneck is easy too hook up, and very very smooth. The factory pinbox is very cheap and light, so imagine not very smooth. While we have 50 amp hookup, ours only came with one 15k a/c ducted. We were worried but after a weekend in the South East Texas 100 degree heat it surprised us. The master room was not 75 degrees all day, so we have two small fans for circulation. But once the sun came down it froze us out. It cycled good, and didn't run constantly. Adding the 2nd unit will put you over 13', as right now its sits just at 12'6" or even a few inches higher.
I would save money on a/c and upgrade pinbox. You will love the trailer its very nice and has all the amenities you will need. Outdoor kitchen is great and has everything there. Outside refrigerator is very cold, even turned it down as not to freeze the suds i had in there.
SMN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #12

We recently bought a 2013 Wildcat 312bhx and tow it with a F250 diesel shortbed. It does not squat it down much. In texas on 98 degree day the 2 unit were necessaryduring the day. Turned off the bedroom unit at night to sleed and the main unit kept the bedroom cool and comfortable. If you plan to travel to warmer climates you may want to add the bedroom unit. It is a good towing 5th wheel unit. lb
Camper111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:45 PM   #13

Just finished shakedown #1.... Only real issue is the rear stabilizers would not lower when we first go there and have no worked since..... Came up ok when we left but now seem to not have power.... No fuses or breakers thrown.... Is there an in line fuse I am missing

Tags
312bhx, cat, wildcat