Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2016, 07:46 PM   #1

Question Wildcat 31SAX -- Any others?

We are a stone's throw from purchasing our first 5th wheel: the 2016 Wildcat 31SAX. (We currently have a Coachman Freedom Express TT.)

However, I can't find the first review, discussion, or even mention of them on any forums! I'm assuming this is the first year for the 31SAX?

Does anybody here own one? Know of somebody who does?

Also, I keep reading scathing reviews about Wildcat rigs and Forest River in general, including the fines and uproar against them by the DOT and NHTSA just last year. Thoughts?

TIA!

abi2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:09 PM   #2

Pretty much all the 2016/2017 floor plans are new, so it's not terribly surprising there aren't many reviews... There was apparently some mgmt turnover at Wildcat and the new crew seemed to wipe out all the 2015 models and introduce a whole new line up... I can tell you we love our 2015 312QBX, but some of my favorite features have been changed or removed from the 2016+ models. I haven't seen the new floor plans in person so I can't really judge the all changes...
pbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #3

Thank you. That makes sense. I'm in hopes that since they're under a microscope right now the quality will be improved and issues kept to a minimum. Going today to finalize our decision.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #4

This may come a little late, but you might be wise to look around for one of the 2015 2016 units that were built before FR changed to these new models. They seem to be a better built unit in terms of a heavier frame, etc. We had a 2013 Rockwood Signature Ultralight that was nothing but trouble. Our current 2015 Wildcat 295RSX is about 3,000 pounds heavier and feels much more solid. I will say that we do tow many miles each year, perhaps 15,000 or so.
Good luck no matter which way you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:02 PM   #5

Gulp... Just sign the papers. Guess there's no going back now. It's a very functional layout, and the GVWR is around 12k and our dually can tow 28k. We travel a lot but are relatively light packers. Plan to eventually upgrade tires/wheels and axles. But for now, we have a 3-month trip -- yes 3-month -- in our very near future. Nerve-wracking and exciting all at once!
Old 07-16-2016, 01:10 PM   #6

We too own a 2015 312QBX we purchased in 2014 and could not be happier. We researched extensively before choosing the Wildcat based on many additional features that unfortunately were removed with the 2016 and later models. I am overall a Wildcat fan and not having owned a newer model can't comment on them personally but it certainly appears they removed a lot of value-added features as well as reverting back to a Lippert frame and reducing the size of the storage compartments.

I truly hope your new Wildcat brings you as many years of pleasure as ours has, we have camped 30-plus nights each summer for the last three years without a single major issue
SNOMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #7

Thank you, SNOMORE! That is certainly reassuring! We truly are excited and hope it works out well for us.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:13 PM   #8

Keep us 'Cat owners updated on your travels. Are you going to Goshen this year? If not, get on the list for 2017. We travel country each summer. Already planning on a proposed FROH rally in OR next summer.
Enjoy your Wildcat.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:14 PM   #9

Wow!!! Who proofread that post??😃😃😃

FROG rally

Old 07-16-2016, 07:49 PM   #10

Lol! At least I know what you meant! Thank you -- we would love to be able to attend rallies!
Old 10-19-2016, 03:56 PM   #11

2016 wildcat 31 SAX

We just bought one. We love it. There have been some kinks to figure out. Black tank flush vales leaked behind the shower wall because they had not been tightened enough and the kitchen sink leaked due to improper installation of a seal. Both were simple and easy fixes that my husband could do. The battery disconnect switch also had to be replaced, it literally just fell apart.
Today, my question is, has anyone who owns one of the wildcat models, our shower drain is located in a place where water is not easy to drain the shower floor effectively. Has anyone one else encountered this problem?
Pjstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:57 PM   #12

I hear ya! We are thinking this is a flaw in the design...but I've discovered somewhat of a "fix," and strictly by accident. I decided to remove the screening over the drain one day, just to see if it may have been installed incorrectly, because it doesn't drain well. I found it was installed per instructions. However, when I went to put it back I over-tightened it when I screwed the screen back on...and the screened inverted to a point that it actually drains now! Yes, I forced it when I screwed it back in place, but it works!

On a side note, we've been living in our 31SAX now and we LOVE it! Any anomalies have been minor and we've been able to take care of things ourselves, but more than 3,000 miles and 2 months later, we love our Wildcat!
Old 10-20-2016, 09:34 AM   #13

It drives us bananas!! We will try doing that!! Thank you for your help!!
Pjstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:48 AM   #14

I hope it works for you!

Tags
cat, wildcat