Old 10-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Chris View Post
What about the 2" receiver hitch that's standard on the Wildcat? We thought rather than forcing a folding bike rack or slide out rack, we'd give consumers the option of any accessory that fits the receiver (bike racks, storage pods, generator mount, towing ball, etc.). The receiver is engineered and built into the frame with a tongue capacity of 300lbs. and a towing capacity of 3000lbs.

Here's some examples:
receiver bike rack - Google Search
receiver hitch cargo carrier - Google Search
receiver hitch generator carrier - Google Search
The Hitch Corner sells bike racks for trailer hitches
You have to remember, I am giving suggestions based on my 2008 Wildcat. The 2" receiver hitch wasn't standard back then. Yes, the receiver would work very nicely, thanks for pointing that out.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Chris View Post
What about the 2" receiver hitch that's standard on the Wildcat? We thought rather than forcing a folding bike rack or slide out rack, we'd give consumers the option of any accessory that fits the receiver (bike racks, storage pods, generator mount, towing ball, etc.). The receiver is engineered and built into the frame with a tongue capacity of 300lbs. and a towing capacity of 3000lbs.

Here's some examples:
receiver bike rack - Google Search
receiver hitch cargo carrier - Google Search
receiver hitch generator carrier - Google Search

url=http://www.hitchcorner.com/bike-racks.htm]The Hitch Corner sells bike racks for trailer hitches[/url]

Wildcat Chris--- Thanks for the hitch on the new Wildcats!!

Here is my setup - Hopefully I plan on mounting the box on the rack. I may need to brace the each end of the rack to the bumper for additional support??

Old 11-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #23
JAYCO Representative

Thumbs up Wildcat DRY CAMPING FEATURES

Here's the current "DRY CAMPING FEATURES" of a Wildcat...
• Larger Fresh, Gray & Black tanks (vs. Competition)
• All Lights 12V (including all Slide Out Lights)
• Space for Multiple Batteries
• Fully Enclosed Underbelly (keeps debris off tanks, water lines, etc.)
• 12V Jensen™ 975 AM/FM/CD/DVD/USB AV System with Remote and iPod® hookup
• Optional 12V 24" LED TV

We're also adding:
• 10 Gallon DSI Quick Recovery Water Heater (16.2 Gallons per hour)

Hope to have more to come as we continue to focus on the needs of dry campers. There's more R&D and sourcing going on all the time, so your input here really serves as a great resource for building a better Wildcat!
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:33 AM   #24
JAYCO Representative

I forgot to mention that the new Touring Edition package also integrates a full LED interior lighting package -- another dry camping benefit.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Chris
I forgot to mention that the new Touring Edition package also integrates a full LED interior lighting package -- another dry camping benefit.
Excellent I'm very pleased WC is going forward with this option .
Old 01-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #26
JAYCO Representative

Lightbulb LED info for Wildcat Dry Campers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhill View Post
Excellent I'm very pleased WC is going forward with this option .
We're thrilled about it. If it is very popular, I'm hoping we're able to offer it as standard at some point. We're having more testing done and I'll share more info here when it's available about actual power usage.

p.s. I posted this in the LED thread, but I know there's people who were participating in this thread that will want to see this info as well:
Old 02-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #27
JAYCO Representative

Thumbs up Thanks for this info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
It really is, as bhill states, all about power and water. While solar power is a great idea, it won’t work in all instances. When I dry camp, I’m always under a number of trees and solar doesn’t work well in the shade. It also doesn’t work well when you have a week of cloudy and/or rainy weather. Even George (Tioga and George Blog) carries a small Honda generator to recharge his batteries when the solar panels on the roof of his Class C can’t keep up.

My suggestion for dry camping would be a slide out tray or rack on the back of the trailer that would be sturdy enough to carry a generator, a gas can or two, and perhaps a Blue Tote. Sabre has a fold up bike rack option and Cougar has a slide out bike rack option on their fifth wheels that might work for that purpose. Something along those lines for a Wildcat would be great for a dry camping option.

Water is the other issue. A 60 gallon fresh water tank would be great. But the water tank should be designed with a slope to one side and a small pocket to the low side where the pickup tube would be. That way all of the fresh water in the tank could be used. In my Wildcat, when the water pump will no longer pick up water from the tank, there is still about three gallons of water left in it.

Triguy, yes fifth wheels do come with a battery installed, usually a cheap group 24 battery though. The breakaway cable on a fifth wheel requires a 12 volt battery in order to function. The breakaway cable activates the trailer brakes in case the trailer should disengage from the tow vehicle.
I was rereading this thread today and think you've got some great points here. I'm hoping to have some interesting new "dry camping" features to share soon!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #28

I always look forward to seeing what's new with Wildcat line. I noticed that a different RV dealer in St. Louis now carries the Wildcat line so perhaps next there will be some Wildcats at the St. Louis RV show.

This year was the first time my wife and I didn't make it down to the show because we were in Mexico. We will get our RV fix though because we always go to the RV Show in Belleville, IL every year too. This year it's Feb 24, 25, and 26th.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #29
Hob

Lippert Frames

Chris,

I do have one big question. This is very important to me because the frame integrity has to be very good for some of the places I want to dry camp.

Has Forest River done anything to ensure their Lippert made frames have quit cracking and tearing on their fifth wheel models? It sure gets real quiet when you ask that question. The Forest River lines, as well as all others that use a Lippert frame on any fifth wheel, will never get me to buy one until they say what is being done to fix what appears to be a frame problem. With just a little bit of research, it seems as if this problem has been going on for roughly six years.

I really wanted a 295 WP. However, until I see some statistics or get a good answer from Forest River I can't feel comfortable purchasing a fifth wheel. When these questions come up it looks as if Forest River would want to put some information out to reassure customers they are going to be taken care of with a problem. All I'm hearing when someone asked one of these questions is crickets chirping in the background.

I would hope you can give me some kind of response that is more than the crickets chirping.

Best Regards,

William S. Shumate (Hob)
Old 02-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #30
JAYCO Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob View Post
Chris,

I do have one big question. This is very important to me because the frame integrity has to be very good for some of the places I want to dry camp.
I guess this is one way to tie your question in to the thread on a Wildcat Dry Camping Package, although you might need to put away your shoehorn after that post.

I've read some of the posts on the Forest River Forums and other places about frame problems. I'm not aware of any frame issues on new or current Wildcat products, but I'll ask our Lippert representatives if they can shed some more light on this for me. With Lippert building frames for the majority of the RV industry (including all competitors to Forest River), they're the experts in this field and I need to get more info. I do know Wildcat uses bigger frames (10" I-beam), one of the reasons we tend to be a bit heavier than some other products we compete against.

Quote:
Has Forest River done anything to ensure their Lippert made frames have quit cracking and tearing on their fifth wheel models? It sure gets real quiet when you ask that question.
Hob, I'm no "cricket" here on the forums. But I can't speak for other products, divisions, or their suppliers. Actually, it looks like you've already had a discussion on the topic with another Forest River rep in a different thread: Reese goosebox

Quote:
I really wanted a 295 WP.
I had to do a Google search to find out what trailer that is. It's not a Wildcat, so I can't speak with authority on it. Please try contacting your local Cherokee dealer or the Cherokee division directly!

Tags
dry camping, extralite, sterling, wildcat, boondocking