Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #1

Wildcat Questions

Hello All,

New member of the forum based in Texas.

We are in the market for a 5th wheel. Yesterday we looked at many different options and one of our favorites was the Wildcat 327CK. Wife really liked that floorplan.

So today I have been reading online forums about the Wildcat product and noticed quite a few post pertaining to slide and wall cracking issues with the Wildcat. Most of these seemed to pertain to pre 2014 Wildcat units.

I know the forums only represent a small sample of the Wildcat units on the road and that most happy users don't post, however, its a bit concerning reading about all the issues being experienced with new 5th wheels today, especially give the cost of these thing!

I would really be helpful to me as a potential future Wildcat owner if you experienced Wildcat owners could provide feedback to the following questions:

1. Are slide and wall cracking issues still highly prevalent in the 2015/2016 units?

2. How would you rate the overall quality of your Wildcat and are you sufficiently satisfied with the level of factory support received?

3. Would you purchase this brand again?

4. I see that Wildcat Chris has moved on to another company. Can someone provide the contact info for his replacement as the Wildcat factory representative? I would like to speak to this person to gain insight into implementation of the new BAL frame system and this will hopefully help reduce the number of issues encountered, especially with frame flexing and wall cracking.

5. My tow vehicle is a 2013 Cheverolet Silverado Duramax 2500HD CC LTZ 4x4 with 20" wheels/tires. I know the 327CK will likely put me over GVWR but with light loading I fully expect to be under all other weight ratings. For any of you pulling this 5th wheel with a similar truck I would be interested in hearing about your towing experience. Please feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

Best regards,

Keith
gsitexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:36 PM   #2
Campfire Master

Welcome aboard Keith! Glad to have ya here.

We have a 327CK and have had no problems with it yet. When it was delivered, the slides had to be adjusted, which the dealer did in short order.

Would we buy this brand again? We did, our last fiver was also a Wildcat. No problems with that one either.

Our tow vehicle is almost the same as yours and it does just fine. The ride is great and the power is more than enough.

These days, buying any RV is a gamble. All you can do really is to buy one and hope for the best.

John
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:19 PM   #3

Thank you very much for the welcome and feedback John.

Just wondering, the slide with the recliners on the 327CK sure has a lot of window surface area. Do you find that to be an issue when camping on really cold or hot days?

Thanks again,

Keith
Old 06-21-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
Campfire Master

We camp in the fall up here. Sometimes at night the temps fall into the teens. We almost never use the furnace, instead rely upon an electric heater and an electric blanket.
The summers up here can occasionally get into the 90's, and humid. So far it hasn't been an issue for us, however, we tend to camp in well treed and shaded sites.

Feel free to ask anything you wish, I'll try to do my best to answer.

John
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #5

Hey Keith,

We're new Wildcat owners ourselves, with about 14 nights and 450 miles on our 2014 293 REX. I can give you feedback on some of your questions.

1) No issues here and hopefully it stays that way.

2) I think the overall quality is very good. We haven't needed factory support but our dealer support is excellent.

3) So far I would purchase another Wildcat.

4) Don't know.

5) I tow with a one ton diesel CC, LB, SRW. Certainly no issues here.

We bought ours last fall and the dealer stored it for us over the winter. I also have read all the horror stories and was pretty nervous when picking it up. I'm still a little nervous. But so far so good, just minor fixes.

Like AVid said, all you can do is buy one and hope for the best.

Good Luck.
GypsiesAtHeart2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:39 PM   #6

good friend of mine has a 2014 and it has cracked in same place 3 times. 3rd time it cracked on way home from dealers second attempt to fix.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #7

Keith/Wildcat 327

We got our 2016 327 ck about two months ago have gone on two 7 day trips with only a couple of minor problems slide had to be adjusted took about 30 min so far we love it no problems air cond cools just fine also we are pulling with a 2015 duramax Allison ltz 2500 am very pleased with it you never know the 5er is behind you unless you look in your rearview mirror we are leaving tomorrow am on our third trip going to Nashville tn for a week hope this helps some and good luck with your purchase jim@diane
jim r hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:31 PM   #8

Thank all of you very much for your valuable input.

Best regards,

Keith
Old 06-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #9

We got a 2015 327ck in February and they only issue was a slide adjustment. The lots of windows are one thing that we liked. We don't do to cold or to hot we go north or south so I can't help you there but we have the two ducked ACs and they do the job. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #10
Site Team

Keith,from the countryside between Dallas and the raging Red River Okie border!

We've had our 2015 Wildcat 295RSX less than one year but we've logged 3966 miles towing it and several days/nights camping in 3 states. One or two members here might remember all my whining when I first joined this forum... since I listed what I believed to be an overly long punch-list. My issues were mostly little things although my kitchen/entertainment slide was out of adjustment to the point that it tore my living room flooring. That flooring was repaired three times and was done well... but it doesn't take long to puzzle out that many of my issues were attributed to my dealership including the several failed attempts to adjust my slide out. The two co-owners are really nice men and their (1st) service manager became like family to me BUT they didn't quite know how to manage their service business and they didn't know how to deal with Forest River. For instance the SM gave an unattended shop phone number as a call-back number so when Forest River's warranty manager returned his call, no one answered and the call was marked off the list. I helped solve that procedural problem and offered to donate time to help them get a handle on their service business.

My most frustrating issue was a leak in the bedroom wardrobe slide which, fortunately, allowed water to drip in the hard flooring in the bathroom, not on carpet. I took the unit to them 3x to get that fixed and thought they had finally done it BUT it's leaking again. It's on the list for the Goshen rally.

At this point, DW and I love the trailer... it performs as we expect and meets our needs. I have absolutely no questions about my BAL NXG frame... no issues with cracking, buckling... no evidence of frame flexing.

Members of this forum shaped my head to quit whining, to be patient, and to enjoy the trailer while the dealership got it up to par. BTW, the dealership has their 3rd SM since I took delivery of my trailer. I helped the company jettison SM #2.

My purchasing process might be backwards from that of others. I had never owned a F.R. unit... had never bought a new unit. I searched online for a trailer that I thought would meet our needs/wants and only then searched for a dealership near me (62 miles one way) who sold what I wanted. I had been a member of other brand forums (fora?) and had not studied Forest River products before I bought mine - else I would have had a better set of questions and tests before I picked it up. If I live long enough, I WILL buy another Forest River unit!

Again, welcome and

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #11

Hello Mr. Dan and whj77372,

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions. Seems like most are pleased with their Wildcat campers. Most issues appear to be attributed to poorly adjusted slide outs.

We were all set to purchase a Grand Design 303RLS until we learned about the Wildcat units and the attractive standard features/options offered on the Wildcat line.

Now we have some tough decisions to make and your input is certainly helpful. My wife really like the 327CK but I'm concerned that it might put me close to the various weight ratings on my 2013 Chevy 2500HD Duramax although we would probably not add more than 1500 lbs to the empty weight.

Decisions, decisions ...............

Thanks again for your insight!

Best regards,

Keith
Old 06-22-2015, 10:08 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I have a 2014 Wildcat 327 CK with a Lippert frame. I had it for 13 months with about 8,000 miles on it. I towed it from Upper Michigan to Arizona this past winter with a 2014 GMC 2500 Duramax/Allison. It pulled up and down the 6% grades & over the 11,000ft passes and all the power and braking that I needed.
Before we bought the Wildcat did some research about the sides cracking. I asked Wildcat Chris about the Lippert frame and the cracking. He said the 2013 had the problems but it was corrected by the 2014 models. Even at Goshen the tech's said it was fixed by the 2014 models. This spring on my way back from Az I got caught in a major rain storm and found a leak through one of the slides. The slide came out of adjustment and pulled away from the gasket seal. When the dealer was adjusting it they found cracks on both sides of the RV. The dealer called it into Wildcat/Forest River for instructions about it. After a couple of weeks we hear back from Wildcat and they want it back to the factory for repairs. I've heard it takes 5 weeks to get it back and the fix is done right. Now the wait.
We do love the Wildcat 327CK layout and all the standard extras included. Things like 50 amp service, curved ribbed roof, MOR/ryde suspension, 16" E rated tires, LED lighting, 10 gal water heater and other extras. We camped when the temps were in the 20s and in the 90s. At 20 we ran the fireplace with the furnace and it stayed at 60-70 degrees. But when we were at 95+ in the open sun we found out we needed a second A/C in the bedroom. Then it stayed in the 70s during the day time.
Would I buy another Wildcat? I'll know when it comes back from the factory.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:29 AM   #13

Problem was not fixed by 2014 because my buddies has cracked 3 times in a year. Currently cracked now
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:55 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
Problem was not fixed by 2014 because my buddies has cracked 3 times in a year. Currently cracked now
Did he have it fixed at the dealer or at the factory? I understand that the whole side wall needs to be replaced front to back. It might have something to do with reinforcing the inner structure. Quick body work at the dealer will crack again.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #15

We have the same unit as MR. Dan. 2015 Wildcat 295rsx. Love it have had some issues, all minor and resolved by dealer. We are out on our 4th trip, but perhaps only a total of 2,000 miles so far. We leave in August for an extended trip of perhaps 8,000 miles in 3 months. I'm confident this RV will serve us well with no major issues.
I would not hesitate to purchase another Forest River product.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:23 PM   #16

elind I really appreciate your input, I hope your 327CK comes back like new and that you have no further issues with your camper.

5er tom thank you as well. It's great to see that you have encountered few and only minor issues, hopefully this trend continues. Enjoy your trip in August!

Best regards,

Keith

Tags
cat, wildcat