Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #1

Wildcat Sterling 5th wheel

Has anyone had a chance to look over the new Wildcat Sterling 5th wheel trailers? I’m currently have a 2008 Rockwood 8313 and looking to possibly upgrade to a 5th wheel and this one caught my eye. From the colored exterior wall colors to the hydraulic leveling system, looks like it will be a nice mid-grade 5ther. We are looking at the 32RL with rear entertainment center/fireplace.
Thanks guys
Eastsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

Eastsider...sent you a PM.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #3

Thats a nice unit
bigdaddy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #4

We are considering one as well, a 32qb
Bigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #5

as are we.... i'd be interested to hear about any and all experiences
scott0960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #6

Just signed for a 2011 32RK this last weekend. Picking it up next Saturday! Fell in love with the floorplan.
whineberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
Now a "Top Member"

Very cool. Please keep us informed. Lots of discussion on another board about these new floorplans.
Retired AF MSgt

Old 03-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #8

Still without our new Sterling. After a great 2 hour walkthrough on Saturday, the last thing they showed us was how to operate the slides. The bedroom slide would not go in. Found a shorted motor, and still waiting for parts. Other than that, it's great.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
Now a "Top Member"

Ahhh, the best laid plans.........

Hopefully it will be a quick and easy fix...once they get the part!
Retired AF MSgt

Old 03-14-2011, 12:54 AM   #10

Wow, I love my new rig. Everything now works as advertised. The automatic leveling system is really cool. The factory floorplan shows the couch and the two recliners on one side and the dining table on the opposite side. The dealer played with the layout, and now the couch and recliners are opposite each other, and the dining table is back by the kitchen. I like this much better than the original design.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #11

Your rig looks great. Your exterior pictures are better than the current one on Wildcat's website. Are you pulling your rig with a 3/4 or 1 ton? Also, how sharp of a turn can you make with the trailer? I camp in Maine where I have a tight fit and I'm looking at the Silver Edition along with some other brands that advertise tight turns.

Hey, take some more pictures and post them. Great rig.
forsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #12

Nice unit!
Where did you end up getting it from? I see that The Great Outdoors in Greeley is now carrying the model.

We used to live in Mead....loved it. Of course that was back in the day. Its grown quite a bit since then. Got a smokin deal on some property up by Blue Mountain, its the only reason we moved. Just a bit more breathing room.

Keep us posted on how the Sterling works out.
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:10 PM   #13

Forsailors, it's a 3/4 ton Ram Diesel short bed with a Reese slider. I haven't tried and real sharp turns yet. I'm waiting for my navigator to get back into town so she can tell me when to stop turning. It seems to have plenty of clearance with the minor backing job I did to get it into the storage space. I'll let you know when I've played with it some more this weekend.

Koodog, not much has changed in Mead since you left. A couple of subdivisions in the last 6 years and a new bank on main street. Still no grocery store. It's still a quiet farming town.

We did get it at The Great Outdoors in Evans. The only other dealer I have found in Colorado with them is in Aurora. They have taken very good care of me.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #14

whineberry,
Thanks for the reply. Good the hear the guys over at Great Outdoors are still giving great customer service. I bought mine there several years ago and had the same experience.
Also nice to hear Mead still has its small town feel. Haven't been thru town proper in quite some time.
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #15

Two short trips under our belt now and we still love our Sterling. The only major thing that has come up is a problem with the Concertone ZX75 freezing up while playing DVDs. The dealer has a new one on order. I'm really enjoying the auto-leveling system. beats the heck out of my old handcranked supports and leveling blocks. More photos posted at
Sterling - a set on Flickr

Whineberry
Old 04-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #16
Now a "Top Member"

Awesome Whineberry. That is a nice looking rig. That bedroom slide is loooooong!
Retired AF MSgt

Old 06-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #17

My wife and I just purchased a new Wildcat Sterling 30RL. We just got back from a two-day shakedown cruise with no problems noted.

We LOVE the large bedroom area. PLENTY of room to move around (after we removed that ridiculous chair). The fireplace is a waste but what can you say.

The hydraulic automatic six-way leveling system is FANTASTIC!!!!!! One touch and stand back and watch the thing do it's thing. I checked the results with a level and it was smack on!

The tankless hot water system takes a little getting used to. Replaced the shower head with a high flow shower head to get better flow. Had PLENTY of hot water. The dealer told us not to use the cold water when using hot water - "just turn the hot water UP and the temperature will drop". NOT SO!!!!! We had to turn on some cold water just to keep from burning our skin off. I've read some posts by people complaining about the tankless hot water system. I had my doubts too. But now that I have had a chance to actually use on - I'm here to tell you that is the only way to go!

So far, the only major additions we have made to our 5th wheeler are: a MAXXair vent fan and a second A/C unit for the bedroom. If you live in Texas (like we do) you're CRAZY not to install a second A/C unit. On our first trip out it was 105F. Inside the 5th wheeler it was a comfortable 78F.

If you're thinking of buying a new 5th wheeler you owe it to yourself to take a look at the Sterling. Happy trails.
kellio47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #18
Now a "Top Member"

Great report kellio! Welcome to the forums. Where in Texas are you? We're just up the road from Houston.

Happy RVing!
Retired AF MSgt

Old 06-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #19

We're in Austin. The FR forum helped us make our final decision on what we wanted when we were looking to buy and I look forward to helping others.
kellio47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellio47 View Post

The hydraulic automatic six-way leveling system is FANTASTIC!!!!!! One touch and stand back and watch the thing do it's thing. I checked the results with a level and it was smack on!
Pool table............Yes!

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wildcat