Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Travelin Man

Cool Wildcat Sterling Tire issue

We have had several issues with the Trail America tires on our new 2012 Wildcat Sterling. I am not sure if it is a tire issue or a suspension issue.
we have had the trailer since Nov of 2011, it is the 32RL model, rated at 13,650 pds total. We were carrying several hundred pounds less than that rate when we had the first problem. Both tires on the passenger side wore to the outside of the tread and wore completely out, they had 8,000 mi on them, were inflated to 80pds. we replaced all the bushings in the suspension system and we now have new tires and wheels and have another 3500 mi on them and there is no wear showing on the tires now, Different brand of tire supplied by FR. Now on the drivers side we had tread seperation of one tire on the front tire of the trailer which caused some damage to the trailer. at that point we were another several hundred pounds lighter as we had an empty water tank, which is over 400pds and we had taken out some firewood and other item totalling approx 100pds.

we put on our spare tire, which had approx 500 mi on it from previous use and it suffered tread seperation within 150 miles after putting it on. still had 80 pds of pressure in it when tread went on it also. both times we had empty water tanks so we were running a lot lighter than the Gross weight, approx
800 to 900 pds below the rating.
the air temp on the days of seperation was in the high 70s to low 80s, we were traveling on I-25 both times about a week apart.

does anyone have any recommendations? someone told me to go to a G rated tires instead of E's. I am thinking of adding air bags to the trailer to beef up the suspension system. we have leaf springs, no shocks on the trailer. our previous trailers always came with shocks, they were made by different companies tho.
any recommendations or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. We have contacted FR Oregon about the issue, they have given me the contact number I need for the tires. If anyone wants anymore info let me know.
Thanks, Doug H
Douglasdh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
Gary and Pam

I had to replace all of my American Trail tires because of side wall bubbles. I was lucky to get home without a blowout. I replaced them with Goodyear Marathon tires. The new tires were a lot heavier than the old ones.
Nights camped 2010-20 2011-26 2012-22

GSF63 is offline   Reply With Quote