Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #1

Cool Wildcat vs. Wildcat Maxx

Hi, we live in northwest Colorado which makes us borderline between west and east manufactured models. We've decided on our floorplan but are undecided on whether to travel east or west for our camper. Besides obvious cosmetic choices and standard lists of options, are there any structural differences between the two??
TNWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #2

What model/s did you decide on so we may see them.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:10 PM   #3

We decided on the 295RSX or F295RSX.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #4

I’ve always thought the west coast models were put together just a bit better than the Goshen built units. I don’t know if that’s still true and I don’t know if both factories are using Bal’s NXG frame or not. I think it’s six of one, half dozen of another. I did like the larger fresh water holding tank in the west coast model. Before you buy, think about where, and the availability of getting any warranty work done.

Sorry, I know that wasn’t much help.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:58 PM   #5

We live in Iowa and saw the Wildcat MAXX on our trip last Spring to visit our son's family in Seattle. We were very impressed with the value, fit/finish and features offered by the MAXX. One of the things we really liked was the "4 season" approach that was designed into the MAXX. I've had too many pipes freeze in my previous RV's in Dallas where we spend a portion of of our winter trip visiting another son. The MAXX has an enclosed belly, electric heaters on the fresh water and holding tanks as well as substantial insulation in the walls, floor, and ceiling. We also like the all LED lighting in the MAXX and the 6 feature remote control for operating the slides, stabilizers, awning & porch light.
We bought our first MAXX during that trip, a 24RG and used it for about 60 nights during a couple of visits last summer. This spring, we traded the 24RG for a MAXX 28RKX and have had it for about 6 weeks. We are, at present, about a 100 miles from home on our trip back from Seattle and have towed the 28RKX about 1,900 miles.
We, like you will not have a dealer close as we bought from a terrific dealer in Ellensburg, Wa. I also sent in the $150 to extend the basic warranty from 1 year to 2 years. Am I worried about warranty repair, not really! I'm going to a Forest River dealer close to us and see if he'll do our warranty work. If yes, I'll contact Forest River warranty dept and get them on board. If that falls through, I'll pay for the small stuff and go to the Indiana factory for any big thing (which I don't anticipate).
We are EXTREMELY pleased with the MAXX as our actions should demonstrate and don't for a second, regret our actions.
Just for info, we have been rv'ing since 1993 and have owned several rv's including 3 diesel pushers, pop-up, class B winnebago ERA, teardrop, motorcycle pop-up, and now the 2 MAXX travel trailers.
Are they perfect--NO. Are they a great value--YES. Am I pleased with the 2 MAXX trailers we've owned--ABSOLUTELY!
Good luck, Ron ( give me either a post here or PM if I can help in any way!)
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I’ve always thought the west coast models were put together just a bit better than the Goshen built units. I don’t know if that’s still true and I don’t know if both factories are using Bal’s NXG frame or not. I think it’s six of one, half dozen of another. I did like the larger fresh water holding tank in the west coast model. Before you buy, think about where, and the availability of getting any warranty work done.

Sorry, I know that wasn’t much help.
Quite the contrary, the mention of larger tanks on the west coast models is a huge buying bonus. You may be right on rest. Six of one half a dozen of another. If we want to stay with Forest River, buying and servicing are a 5 hour drive east or a 6 hours drive west. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #7

Thanks for your input Ron. We're long time RVers as well (since 1988) owning a little of everything. Bob's comments on the larger tanks could mean the difference of us hauling or not hauling extra water. Your experience also has us leaning towards the MAXX. I'm pretty sure that your nearest FR dealer will service your MAXX camper. Long story short, we once had a Keystone that we bought in Michigan. When we called to schedule warranty work more locally, in Colorado, a salesman told us they wouldn't service it since we didn't buy it there. We called Keystone. They were more upset than we were, contacting the business and threatening to remove their Keystone units from their lot if they refused service to any of their owners. We got a call from the owner of the dealership wanting to know when we could bring our camper in. They were quick about it too! Good luck to you.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:35 PM   #8
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I just took delivery of a 2016 Wildcat 295RSX. Some thoughts if you are doing an order. Make sure they include the Maxxis tire upgrade. It gives you 16 inch 10 ply E rate tires and they upgrade the Dexter Axles to 6000# instead of 5200#.

Order the LCI Ground Control 3.0 self leveling system. It shouldn't cost more than $1600 which is half the price when added after market. You'll get 4 electric level jacks (2 front feet and 2 mid-trailer just behind the tires. These 4 are controlled by the autolevel system. You'll also get 2 rear electric stabilizers. You put these down after the autolevel.

With the autolevel, you can forget about needing scissor jacks or JT Strongarms or such. If you have a flat, you can use manual level to raise the tire off the ground.

Lastly, if you order the rear view camera, ask them to make it the Furrion 48 Observation camera instead of the Furrion 12 Backup camera. The 48 is much better and about the same price.

As to West Maxx vs. East. Beats me, my East rig came in almost perfect.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:54 PM   #9

Wildcat vs. Wildcat Maxx

I have a 262RGX wild Cat max fifth wheel got it in October and we live on the west cost we have been out with it 5 times have two more trips planed one this month to Chico state for a graduation and next month to the state of Washington to camp with my son and his family only had one thing go wrong so far The remote stopped working for my front landing gear I live two hours from my dealer so I called the factory in Oregon and they mailed me down a whole new remote board and remote and I installed it and send them the old one just that easy. my wife and I love our new fifth wheel

Sent from my IPhone
wwalker2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:30 PM   #10

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Make sure they include the Maxxis tire upgrade. It gives you 16 inch 10 ply E rate tires and they upgrade the Dexter Axles to 6000# instead of 5200#.

Order the LCI Ground Control 3.0 self leveling system.

Lastly, if you order the rear view camera, ask them to make it the Furrion 48 Observation camera instead of the Furrion 12 Backup camera. The 48 is much better and about the same price.
Thanks for all the info. Gives us more food for thought. Also whether to order a unit or what to look for if buying straight off lot. We experienced uneven tire wear on another FR, due to too light of axles. FR needs to step it up and make all their axles at least 6000#. You're spot on in your upgrade!
Old 05-04-2015, 09:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwalker2984 View Post
I have a 262RGX wild Cat max fifth wheel got it in October and we live on the west cost ... The remote stopped working for my front landing gear I live two hours from my dealer so I called the factory in Oregon and they mailed me down a whole new remote board and remote and I installed it and send them the old one just that easy. my wife and I love our new fifth wheel
Glad to hear that the FR factory is that great to work with. We've had warranty issues and went through our dealer. Aggravating. Perhaps cutting out the middle man is the way to go!
Old 05-05-2015, 04:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNWheeler View Post
Thanks for all the info. Gives us more food for thought. Also whether to order a unit or what to look for if buying straight off lot. We experienced uneven tire wear on another FR, due to too light of axles. FR needs to step it up and make all their axles at least 6000#. You're spot on in your upgrade!
My 2015 317RL came with 6000 # axles
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, wildcat