Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2018, 02:15 PM   #1

12v meter hook up

I have a 23’ wildcat and would like to hook up a more accurate system that tells me how much power I have left. There are no 12v outlets, so I assume that i’ll Have to go right from the battery. any info would be helpfull
Ctgourd46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

So......

I’m not sure in your rig, but do you not have a 12v outlet near where the TV antennae booster switch is located? My factory provided booster plate has a 12v socket (for if/when you have a 12v television) the booster on/off button and corresponding green light, and a coax connector.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=rv+tv...WuUagvQPJZzRM:

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:49 PM   #3

I personally would connect to the battery posts to avoid inaccurate readings due to voltage drop and if your system comes with temperature monitoring you'll have to connect directly to the battery anyways.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:32 PM   #4

12v meter

No, idon’t Have any 12volt outlets in this unit. My camper before this had one.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:50 PM   #5

No I did in my previous ca per but not in this one.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #6

This meter will do exactly what you stated you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Energ...13846592&psc=1

It will monitor voltage, current flow in and out of battery. Can utilize a battery temperature sensor so you will have an accurate prediction of how much power you have left corrected for battery temperature.

It utilizes a shunt that is mounted in the ground lead from the battery, at the battery. Meter receives data from the shunt via a long wire much like a telephone wire. You can read voltage, current flow, percent of charge, and also amount of time left. It adjusts readings using an algorithm that takes into consideration charging inefficiencies so far more accurate than the cheaper units you can pick up off e-bay.

The model in the link also allows you to monitor battery condition and charge via your smartphone. Mine works great from the dash board of my tow vehicle where my phone sits while driving. I can read state of charge and charge current while driving.

I have one and considered the extra $$ to be a good investment.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
This meter will do exactly what you stated you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Energ...13846592&psc=1

It will monitor voltage, current flow in and out of battery. Can utilize a battery temperature sensor so you will have an accurate prediction of how much power you have left corrected for battery temperature.

It utilizes a shunt that is mounted in the ground lead from the battery, at the battery. Meter receives data from the shunt via a long wire much like a telephone wire. You can read voltage, current flow, percent of charge, and also amount of time left. It adjusts readings using an algorithm that takes into consideration charging inefficiencies so far more accurate than the cheaper units you can pick up off e-bay.

The model in the link also allows you to monitor battery condition and charge via your smartphone. Mine works great from the dash board of my tow vehicle where my phone sits while driving. I can read state of charge and charge current while driving.

I have one and considered the extra $$ to be a good investment.
Yep...finally got mine installed today. It's awesome. Love the bluetooth connectivity and you can change all the parameters on the smart phone rather than scrolling through all the parameters on the face of the monitor.

Did a test today to see how much charge my new PD Lithium converter puts into my new Battleborn Lithium batteries.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:17 PM   #8

I purchased my Victron at PKYS.com in Annapolis. Price what better than Amazon and I am tried to making Amazon bigger while it wipes out other retailers.
Less is More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:24 PM   #9

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Adapt...0311000&sr=8-3
Portagie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:43 PM   #10

I looked at what Portagie 1968 suggests and after messing with volt-type meters went with the Victron. Voltage meters are heavily influenced by the draw on the battery while you are using a device and it takes a long time for the battery to stabilize. I frequently thought my battery was far more drained than it actually was. I resisted spending the money on a battery meter but after I had it and installed it I wished I had purchased it earlier. We use a single solar panel that I hooked up through the Zamp outlet and 2 6 volt Costco batteries. After hooking up the battery meter I discovered that I had lots of power in my batteries and had needlessly worried about running my batteries down. It takes some work to install the system. I had to run wires to the tongue and batteries. The shunt needs to be dry. I installed it by putting it in a triple outlet box that I sealed with silicone. I could not find a blank cover so I made one out of scrap Plexiglass. I attached the box with the shunt in it on a metal plate that was near the front of my trailer. A little complicated to install. I'm not terribly handy; I have 9 thumbs and a middle finger used for driving but I got it done.
Less is More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less is More View Post
I'm not terribly handy; I have 9 thumbs and a middle finger used for driving but I got it done.
Good thing you have that finger cause around here without one you wouldn't be able to drive. Seems like every driver here has one from young teen girls just learning how to drive to old codgers that are just about to have their keys taken away by their kids.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #12

This one I have used for 6 years or more. Really a great meter.
Digital Voltmeter | VoltMinder.com

Portagie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:34 PM   #13
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Yep...finally got mine installed today. It's awesome. Love the bluetooth connectivity and you can change all the parameters on the smart phone rather than scrolling through all the parameters on the face of the monitor.

Did a test today to see how much charge my new PD Lithium converter puts into my new Battleborn Lithium batteries.
I love my battleborn LI's they are awesome and the Victron is a great complement.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:44 PM   #14

I installed this dual power outlet next to my converter:

I tapped into the feed for the vent fan, which is fused for 15 amps. This allows me to plug in a portable 12 volt fan, as well as a plug in voltmeter. I check the voltage in the morning when I dry camp. If I run no 12 volt loads overnight, the meter gives a good indication of state of charge.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote