Old 09-04-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
12volt issues- awning, slideout and stab jacks

First off, let me say I am new to this forum and new to travel trailers. Lots of great info on here. We purchased our first trailer, a 2016 28dbud about a month ago. We've been on one weekend trip so far. We really like this tt, it's the perfect set up for us as we have two growing boys and a limited budget. Besides a few small issues that should have been caught in quality control (if there is such a thing, lol) everything works fine.

A few days before our first trip I was going to move tt closer to house to load up for the trip. I tried to move slideout out, it wouldn't move, nor would the power awning or power stab jacks. Everything else worked. I searched for blown fuses and trip breakers, behind panels and under trailer, all seemed to be ok. The only way I could get them to work was to plug in 7way from truck. Once I did that they all worked even after unplugging the cable and we went on our trip and they all worked as they should. When i parked back at home everything was working still. Yesterday we tried to run the slide out to show the neighbors who had walked over to look at camper. Again, nothing until I hook my truck to it. Only this time when I unhook 7way they still won't work. I unplugged from shore power and lights and everything still work, so I'm assuming my battery is good. Has anybody had this problem? Is there a breaker I'm not finding. Could it be a bad connection somewhere? Thanks for any info, sorry such a long post!!

John77lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:50 AM   #2
12volt issues- awning, slideout and stab jacks

My unit, same as yours is in the shop now for a few items. One of which is the converter.

I was on a trip and decided to roll in my awning one morning. Awning wouldn't come in. Thought I had an awning motor issue. Then noticed my lights were a little dim. Discovered my converter was not charging the battery. Only way to get it rolled in, jacks up etc to plug in the 7 way. Your 7 ways charges the bat almost directly. Hence why it worked once home(had the whole drive to charge). Your shore power charges via the converter. Your battery is too low to run those DC motors since it's not charging.

I'd first check the two 40amp blade fuses on the fuse panel under the fridge. Also, you can hear the converter working. It has a small fan to keep it cool. No's most likely dead.

Edit: unplug the battery before you mess with those fuses.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #3
John77,if your unit is NOT plugged in at home your Batt.will "Run Down" Fast! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:05 PM   #4
Thanks for the replys. Yooroo, I only unplugged just to see if all my stuff inside was working on 12v.

So, today I go outside with my multimeter. I walked to camper and unplugged shore power again to check and see if my batteries show full charge while only on 12v. Well guess what, everything is now working even when i plug back in to shore power. So, seems to be an intermittent problem. Wondering if maybe I have a loose connection somewhere. Any suggestions where to look first. I have alredy opened the rocker panel, all seems to be ok there.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:09 PM   #5
Site Team
John, what are you calling a rocker panel?
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: 2013 = 49 / 2014 = 74 / 2015 = 74 / 2016 = 74 (booked = 11)
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:49 PM   #6
I was referring to the panel just inside the entrance door that houses the switches such as slideout switchand awning switch.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:46 PM   #7
Slideout, stab jacks, stabilizers draw from the battery. If you are plugged into shore power and have a dead battery those items may not work. As said earlier, if you aren't plugged into shore power your battery can discharge in 7 - 10 days from the parasitic draws, i.e.. radio, LP/ CO2 detectors. If you aren't plugged into shore power, pull your disconnect switch. Better yet, install a disconnect switch on your battery.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:59 PM   #8
Just aft of the battery should be anywhere from one to three small circuit breakers, check for loose or corroded terminals. Here is what they look like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72715_primary.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	119608  
2015 Wildwood 27RKSS
2015 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:22 PM   #9
Moderators' Assistant
There may be a tiny black reset button on one of those breakers.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:00 PM   #10
Circuit Breaker Location

On my 2016 28dbud, the circuit breaker is located on the trailer frame, opposite the tongue side. This is a beam that runs parallel to your truck bumper. If you have to replace that breaker, make sure that you orient it exactly the same way before reconnecting wires. Also, something else to check...And I have to admit, my man-card got suspended for ninety days when I "gained" this knowledge...Make sure your battery distilled water isn't low. I hated having to constantly check this so I shelled out big bucks for a MUCH better maintenance free battery. When this first happened to me, FR sent me 5 of the breakers for free...Apparently, they do wear out pretty frequently.

SARDogDad is offline   Reply With Quote

awning, jacks, slide, slide out