Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2019, 06:27 PM   #1

12x16 SUN REFLECTIVE 10MIL TARP(S) INSTEAD OF TYPICAL RV COVER

Hello all.
Have a statement then a questions...

Here in South Florida the sun is brutal on everything in the summer. THE UV, HEAT and 14 hours of sunshine becomes a killer of RV's roof, fiberglass panels, tires etc.
Typical RV covers do not survive but two summers at best. Where as because of the heat, car batteries may survive 3 years.
So, I researched and found Sun Reflective tarps to use to protect our trailer while is is not being used. Here's the link to the style I purchased ........ https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N145SRS

My Question; Is it thought that this type of covering will be OK with the typical rubber roofing material on the X-lite trailer ?

With our RV we had a fiberglass based roof and the warranty would have been void if this type of cover was used. I do not know why but that's what it said

My plan was to bring one tarp from the front of the trailer and over the majority of the AC. THEN. the other trap from the back to the exhaust of the AC. tying down the tarps with a series bungee cords terminated on 10 foot lengths of 2x4. This tie down would move the edges of the tarp away from the trailer allowing water to drip off without hitting the unit. With the tarps covering the roof and 1 foot on each side the trailer would be accessible even when covered. The placement of the tarps leaving the exhaust vented the AC could be used to cool the trailer.

FYI, I now RV covers have door cutouts that zip open BUT the AC cannot vent properly when the typical RV cover is installed.

Please provide your thoughts and comments on my plan, and advise of this type tarp would be good or not for protecting the trailer's roof from the Florida sun.

Finished my first trip in the trailer, to Jetty Park, Cape Canaveral, watched the 2nd launch of the SPACEX Falcon Heavy. What an experience, better than the 6 launches we saw of the space shuttle.

Thanks for your time

SR Brazil
2019 Wildwood xLite 230BHXHL

TRIPS 2019 (1)
Florida.Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:49 PM   #2
Broken Toe

DO NOT COVER WITH TARPS!

They do not breathe, and trap moisture under them leading to mold, mildew and other problems. Every morning with dew, when the sun warms up, the water vapor rises and gets trapped by the tarp. You live in Florida and should know what happens in a warm, moist environment.

Either cover with a breathable cover, or do not cover at all. You will severely regret using a tarp.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:49 AM   #3

Thanks so much
Florida.Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover