Old 07-09-2010, 01:25 AM   #1

Question 1999 Wildwood 27ft TT, electrical quests.

Recently purchased a 1999 27 ft Wildwood travel trailer, front kitchen, rear bedroom twin size pullout (kitchen table & couch), A/C, gas/elec fridge, gas furnace. Has external 110/220 hookup and other external connections.

There were no owner's manuals, or technical manuals included. Previous owner can't remember what happened to manuals, etc, etc, etc.

1) Does this type of TT have an electrical (DC to AC) inverter?
2) If so, can small 110v appliances be operated from that inverter?
3) Where can I get manuals for this TT and its appliances?
4) Where can I find specifications for this TT? (I haven't been able to find data on the internet).

Thank you
PO'T

Old 07-09-2010, 02:19 AM   #2

Welcome to the forums.

First of all there is never 220volts applied or present in an RV and you should never attempt to plug into a 220V outlet.

Inverters are seldom installed as original equipment on RVs unless they are higher end. Usually they are installed as an option or upon purchase by the selling dealer and at the request of the buyer. Therefore answering the question, "does my trailer have an inverter" can only be answered by you doing some investigation.

Inverters are available in many sizes up to around 3000watts. Since most RVs are only equipped with one or two batteries I never advise anyone use them for running high wattage devices, ex. Microwaves, space heaters, hair dryers, etc. One should use a generator if wishing to run high amperage appliances. Inverters are ideal for lower power items like TVs, DVDs players, and other entertainment equipment.

Manuals for most of FRs RVs are generic to all. Try the link to the 2004 Forest River Manual on the main forum page on the right sidebar.

Manuals for most of the appliances and accessories in your RV can be obtained in .PDF format from their respective manufacturers web sites.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:57 AM   #3

OOPS, my mistake about the 220v.
I thought it was an inverter, but I guess I'm wrong about that.

Let's say if I did install an inverter, would I be able to operate some 110v appliances?

PO'T
Old 07-09-2010, 03:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Welcome to the forums.

Manuals for most of FRs RVs are generic to all. Try the link to the 2004 Forest River Manual on the main forum page on the right sidebar.

Manuals for most of the appliances and accessories in your RV can be obtained in .PDF format from their respective manufacturers web sites.
I can't find the main forum page. All I see on the right side bars are the most recent questions
Old 07-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #5

Your camper may not have an inverter, however it should have a converter; this turns the 110vAC to 12vDC. And, most also charge the battery when hooked up to a running tow vehicle, or when plugged in to a 110v source. Usually, the lights, radio system, even the heater runs on 12vDC. The micro, Air conditioning, and water heater are 110v, however the fridge and the water heater should also operate on gas. The converter also has AC breakers, to control those systems, and fuses for the 12v side. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by potoole View Post
OOPS, my mistake about the 220v.
I thought it was an inverter, but I guess I'm wrong about that.

Let's say if I did install an inverter, would I be able to operate some 110v appliances?

PO'T
Yes, an inverter will change 12v DC into 110V AC. But be warned that they are only about 80% efficient at doing so and if your battery bank isn't up to the task you can find yourself with dead batteries very quickly.

I highly suggest you check out the 12 Volt Side Of Life page for more information on batteries, charging and inverters.

Sorry on the manual, it used to be on the main site, things have been changing a bit around here. Click on 'Portal' near the top of the page on the left and then look for the link to the 2004 Forest River Manual on the right side bar.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Sorry on the manual, it used to be on the main site, things have been changing a bit around here. Click on 'Portal' near the top of the page on the left and then look for the link to the 2004 Forest River Manual on the right side bar.
I found that file/manual and tried to open it, but my computer refuses to to do so. Either the manual is in an old style word processing mode, or I don't have the proper word processor.

Tags
wildwood