Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2015, 09:19 PM   #1

1st post for 1st time owner

I'm a first time RV owner; recently bought a new 2015 261BHXL. I've never been camping before, but my 8 year old son has been after me to buy one, so we dove right in and did so. Picked it up a couple weeks ago and been doing a few things to it here and there, just getting us ready to go to a state park in 2 weeks.

A few questions:
-Is there a Perko switch or a battery shut off? Over time, my battery seems to wear down, not sure what's pulling on it while stored, but once a week it goes dead.

-The black/gray water drain that angles down in the back left of the TT is extremely low to the ground; how much ground clearance is normal? I'm thinking mine has about 8" of ground clearance.

-What are some modifications you've made to your TT that you really like?

-What are some accessories that you'd recommend?

Thanks!
Bunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:24 PM   #2

Make sure no lights are left on inside or out, or in storage compartments and the radio isnt on. Also I would suggest you hook it up at home or close buy and turn everything on except the toilet to make sure it works b4 you go away to camp. Get your basics( leveler, toilet paper, toilet chemicals, wheel chicks, plug in, sewer hose, clean drinking water hose, etc. drain seems normal to me. Post a pic!
Arkguy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #3

I just bought the same trailer. More storage than I thought. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1428633011.814312.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	73690
hockeyzebra27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:34 PM   #4

Hockeyzebra27 - Looks very similar, except mine says Wildwood X-Lite on front. Does your antenna stay at that height or does it go up/down? I can't seem to find a crank to raise/lower mine.

Arkguy29 - I'll post a pic soon...thanks for all the info!
Old 04-09-2015, 09:37 PM   #5
Site Team

Carbon monoxide detector, smoke alarm, anything with led power lights can drain power. I don't have this TT but if it has a battery cutoff, they are usually very near the battery. Mods and accessories to consider.... Oxigenics shower head for more pressure and Mattress topper like 2" memory foam are things we really appreciate. Enjoy your TT and make list of things you have questions about. Lots of knowledge here.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:17 PM   #6

Unfortunately most all battery cutoff switches do not cut off the carbon dioxide / LP gas detector and that alone will drain the battery. You have 2 choices in this area: disconnect one of the wires at the battery or leave it plugged in and charging. Plugged in and charging is best in my opinion. Do you store your camper at home? If so plugging in should not be a problem.

Some not so good news is that it's not good to drain a battery close to zero, it will shorten it's run time. If you are going to go boondocking (which is running off of the battery only) and not plugging in, this battery will not run as long as if it was new. State parks almost always have power so you are good there no matter what condition the battery is in.

My water drain is also frighteningly low but in 2 seasons of camping every other weekend it hasn't hit anything yet.

If you haven't already, read up on treating and cleaning your black and gray water tank. Many here including me use the GEO Method of treating the black and gray water tank. You should also get a Flush King or similar device to back flush your black and grey tank when you pull out of the campground. This is very important for tank health.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:14 AM   #7

I can't figure out why it's called GEO method, but that's besides the point. It seems as though everyone has a different "recipe" for how they clean their tanks. Like I said, I'm a first timer, so I just bought the green liquid at the camper store that treats the black water tank. I'm assuming most people don't use that stuff from the posts I've read about GEO. What are some of yalls "recipes" & why?
Old 04-10-2015, 08:48 AM   #8

Congrats on your new 261BHXL Bunkie!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:57 AM   #9

Welcome to the forum and the camping lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkie View Post
-Is there a Perko switch or a battery shut off? Over time, my battery seems to wear down, not sure what's pulling on it while stored, but once a week it goes dead.
I installed a battery cut-off and it's the best bang for the buck mod you can do at under $20. When I arrive home if I'm going back out in a week or two I plug-in if not I flip the cut-off switch off and forget about it. When I'm ready to head out again I flip it back on before I tow. It's bad for the battery if you let it run dry so why risk it. I installed mine directly onto the front of the battery box. Works great.

Quote:
-The black/gray water drain that angles down in the back left of the TT is extremely low to the ground; how much ground clearance is normal? I'm thinking mine has about 8" of ground clearance.
The ground clearance on my trailer is very low as well but being close to the tire it's very hard to hit but not impossible. If the ground is uneven with roots or rocks you need to keep an eye on it expecially when backing in and out of your site.

Have fun!!!
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:09 AM   #10

Welcome to the forum, from New Windsor, Maryland.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #11

Quote:
I can't figure out why it's called GEO method, but that's besides the point. It seems as though everyone has a different "recipe" for how they clean their tanks. Like I said, I'm a first timer, so I just bought the green liquid at the camper store that treats the black water tank. I'm assuming most people don't use that stuff from the posts I've read about GEO. What are some of yalls "recipes" & why?
Asking for a (Recipe) for black & gray tanks in like asking for (Col.Sanders Chicken Recipe)! Read and use ANY you find,They all claim they Work! Just Don't MIX chemicals that are not compatible! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #12

Quote:
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
Here is what the GEO method is all about and why it is called that. The exact recipe isn't that critical as long as you stick to the concept of water softener and soap and occasionally bleach. It is wrong to have too little of the mix but nothing wrong with too much. I use a laundry detergent called Trend from Family Dollar I think (or one of those Dollar stores) which has the softener and soap mixed together. Take about 3 to 4 cups. Also need to adjust to tank size. A 30 gallon black tank takes about 3 to 4 cups and a 60 gallon tank takes 7 to 8 cups.One thing I think the article doesn't say is to put several gallons or so of water into the tank first before adding the GEO Method mix, or whatever you use. This is to fill up the drain tank pipes that lead to the dump valve which is outside of the tank and any useful additives that go in there will do nothing in your tank. It's dead space. It is also good to have this bit of water in there before using so the dreaded mountain of poo doesn't start to build up.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #13
txkreddog

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new TT! As others have said, CO2 detectors, smoke alarms, and probably a few other items continually draw power, even if all the lights etc. are shut off. I use wing nuts on the battery cables and take the cables off if the unit isn't going to be used for awhile. Lots of experience on this forum, don't be afraid to ask. Again, welcome and happy camping.
txkreddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #14
Radioman

Bunkie, you asked a question that I think got overlooked. Antenna, the crank for that is usually inside right under the antenna. Its in the ceiling. Not sure about a TT but a 5ver its usually in the bedroom.
Yuba City, CA. 95993
bjlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Been trying the orange stuff from Walmart, smells like it works because the bathroom does not smell bad.
I have the tank flush deal so the tank gets sprayed for some time when empty.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:58 AM   #16

Just another quick input about the black/grey water tanks. If your camping in hot weather for a length of time, say a 4-5 days, your grey water tank can smell just as bad as the black. You can add some toilet chemical to the grey also to deodorize it.
Campingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:18 AM   #17

I am a new RVer also can we use. Rid X product to the black tank
Wolfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:25 AM   #18
Site Team

As for the question about how low your tanks drain is it can be helpful to a post a picture or two. 8" does sound low but my TT is in storage so I can't check how low my drain is.

As for getting ready for the first trip or two I would recommend keeping things simple. As you camp more you will figure out your camping style. For 1st day maybe have a light lunch ready. I used to arrive at camp hungry after skipping breakfast and lunch. 1st night dinner is something that just needs reheating at most.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:16 PM   #19

Returned yesterday from our first camping trip. We had an absolute blast, when I have more time I'll post a few pics. Now that we're back & we won't be using the TT again until the weekend of the 25th - should I keep my TT plugged in the entire time? Or should I let the refrigerator thaw out & plug it back in in ~10 days? Pros/cons? Is there a right or wrong way to do it?

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2015, 09:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Unfortunately most all battery cutoff switches do not cut off the carbon dioxide / LP gas detector and that alone will drain the battery.
My Roo 19's battery disconnect is inside the TT and it kills everything. If it didn't, there would be no point in having it.

My understanding is that disconnect switches usually kill everything except the things that have their own switches, such as tongue jacks and slideouts (I don't have either of these).

I'm expecting my new Mini Lite to be the same.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote