Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #1

2008 26TBSS Slide Out Leak Question -- Pictures

Well, we went to clean up the camper this past weekend and when I extended the slide, I found that the carpet in front of the extended slide was wet. We did have a pretty hard rain storm just prior and I do need to correct the tilt while in storage so that it tilts in the direction of the slide.

However, with the slide extended, there is a black gasket that seals the gap between the slide and the camper, but on the side of the gasket where it meets the camper, there looks to be a clear silicone bead that is cracking and separating from the metal. I'm sure this has to be letting in some water.

I want to get this sealed up again, but I wanted to get some advise on what type of sealer to use. I am also thinking that I should remove all of the old silicone before adding the new. I have attached a few pictures showing the location of the seal and the clear silicone that is cracking. Any advise is welcome since we are still fairly new to this and want to do it right the first time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0837.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	55074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0834.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	55075  
Old 06-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #2

I also have 2011 26TBSS. Same problem 2 years ago, also in a downpour that lasted 30 minutes. I had parked the trailer but not leveled it yet, tilted towards the door. I had a soaked rug on the right side of the slide (bedroom side). This was the only time I had water inside the slide, and since I level the trailer immediately no water has entered. I will say this, I would use a new bead of silicon, call a dealer and ask them what type of silicon caulk to use, or maybe other members can help.
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcin View Post
I also have 2011 26TBSS. Same problem 2 years ago, also in a downpour that lasted 30 minutes. I had parked the trailer but not leveled it yet, tilted towards the door. I had a soaked rug on the right side of the slide (bedroom side). This was the only time I had water inside the slide, and since I level the trailer immediately no water has entered. I will say this, I would use a new bead of silicon, call a dealer and ask them what type of silicon caulk to use, or maybe other members can help.
Thanks for the input! Yup, same problem here in that it wasn't leveled and had a slight tilt toward the door. Now I will make sure that it has a slight tilt in the opposite direction (I guess some things have to be learned the hard way ), It was the cracking on the silicone around the seal was an unexpected find.

There is a dealer not too far from here and I may swing by soon to see what they recommend. I'd just hate to use the wrong thing and have to redo it. I need to pickup a replacement check valve for the city water connection anyway, so at least I have an excuse to make the trip! Thanks again and any other tips / tricks from others is always welcome!
Old 06-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #4

Your welcome. I have never used a check valve for my city water inlet. Should I be using it? I use a pressure regulator and inline filter but not a check valve.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 06-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #5

Coldbrew never use silicone to seal an RV. It is useless. I always use ProFlexRV flexible sealant. It is sold by most RV dealers.
All RV Aftermarket Products : Pro Flex RV Flexible Sealant
Yes always celan off all old sealant or silicone before applying new sealant.
Bilcin, every Rv has a built in check valve in the city water inlet, without it if you use the water pump without being hooked up to a campground connection you would pump water back out of the unit.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Plain Old Member

X2 on Pro Flex. VERY good stuff. Been using it for years and that's all I will use for anything other than the roof.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:06 AM   #7

Thanks everyone. I went to the dealership last Friday and did pick up a few tubes of the Pro Flex RV sealant and have most of slide out sealed. Just one more side before I can call it done, but that side still looks to be sealed pretty tight. I still have to install the new check valve and should get to that sometime this week.

I also corrected the tilt so that it now just slightly tilts toward the slide. Hopefully, this will take care of the issue!
Old 06-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #8

Good luck, let us know how you make out after the next rain storm.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Tags
26tbss, leak, slide, slide out