Old 04-11-2011, 12:11 AM   #1

2010 36' Wildwood BHBS elec trouble

Well i hope some one knows how these units are wired.I started my hot water tank after being stored for the winter and had a small explosion at the tank,no visible damage but it tripped the power supply to the trailer.I turned off all the trailer breakers and anergized one at a time.Two breakers continue to trip my land power but do not trip the breakers in the trailer.The supply has a GFI and this trips as soon as the trailer breaker is turned on.The breakers causing the problem are labeled Converter and DSI HW ( elec hot water ?)I can not figure what caused this but i also have no power to the Fridge which may share a breaker as i do not see a seperate breaker(the fridge is a residential 120 volt)also the A/C breaker is turned on but the furnace , fan and A/C do not come on??i am confused.The only relation to these devices seems to be the 120v DSI HW and the Converter ,the converter feeds a 4 amp 12 volt breaker labeled DSI.This has me thinking that if the HW DSI is shorting this may cause these 2 breakers totrip the main GFI feeding the trailer,could this be it ??also the fridge sharing the breaker vwith the HWT does not seem right,both of these appliances could draw large Amps at the same time.Please Help if you know how these units are wired.

Thank You

kderby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:33 AM   #2

Was there water in the water heater when you turned it on. If not you could have fried the electric heater. It might be shorted out and causing the GFI to trip.

caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #3

the explosion has me concerned. check to make sure the air passage ways are clear thru the hw heater. something could have found a home in the off season. there may be something to manuelly reset on the hw heater. if u find such, don't reset it until u are sure the air passage thru the hw heater is clear.
the water in the hw heater is extremely important. i don't see it causing an explosion...not 100% on this though.
explosion makes me think loud noise. if it was just a pop...like a flame makes when it goes out, that may have just been from the safety circuit shutting the gas down. much louder may have been a small collection of gas before it tried to lite.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #4

the air/c also uses a 12 volt circuit (i'm assuming a thermostat controlled air conditioner...that won't be correct if the air/c doesn't have a remote thermostat).
if the hw heater is elec/gas, try turning off the switch at the tank. see if that corrects the ground fault. unfortunately, i don't know what dsi stands for. my guess would be a safety interrupt. wish i had a schematic.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
the air/c also uses a 12 volt circuit (i'm assuming a thermostat controlled air conditioner...that won't be correct if the air/c doesn't have a remote thermostat).
if the hw heater is elec/gas, try turning off the switch at the tank. see if that corrects the ground fault. unfortunately, i don't know what dsi stands for. my guess would be a safety interrupt. wish i had a schematic.

DSI = direct spark ignition for the water heater.
2006 Police Roadking FLHPi
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #6

Try plugging the TT to a Non-GFI circuit on your land power source. Sometimes 1 GFI trying to power another GFI will not work. I had an issue with my 2009 Wildwood 27 RLSS. If you plug 1 GFI (TT) into the houses GFI it will trip sometimes (not always right away).

The fridge, furnace/AC (thermostat) and HW heater in gas mode need 12 volts to work so, check the condition of the coach battery. Did you remove it and keep it charged over the winter storage? if it went dead and froze, it may be no good or if it's shorted internally, that may be tripping the converter breaker therefore, no 12 volts to run your appliances.

The noise at the HW heater concerns me. If it still doesn't work after you solve the breaker issues, then it sounds like something in the circuitry blew, especially if the HW breaker continues to trip.

Good luck and keep us posted.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #7

Here is one from the other day - sounds almost exactly what your problem is -

Problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genequte View Post
Picked up the Wildwood from storage after the winter. Plugged the trailer in to the garage to charge. I wen to turn the fridge on and the LP detector went off and then it blew the GFI on the house. I checked all the fuses and all are fine. Now everytime I plug in the cord to the house, it blows the GFI. Any advice would be appreciated.
Resolution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genequte View Post
Thanks for all the help. Took to the dealer, who had winterized it for me, and when they drained all the water out, they forgot to shut off the water heater. So, when I plugged in, the heater coiled burned up, exposing a wire, which kept shorting out the gfi. They also forgot to close the plug underneath, so when they tried adding water, it flowed like a river. They fixed the problem at no cost.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #8

my 06 wildwood 27le fbss also trips the house gfi every time i plug it in. everything is fine when i plug it in to a non gfi plug. i've done (and checked) everything to figure out the problem but cant find anything.(everything works fine). i've asked a lot of people -everyone speculates but no one knows!!
simple solution: (everyone cringe) cut the ground prong off an extra extension cord and use it to plug into a gfi receptical - problem solved!!
07 kawasaki brute force 650i

Wildwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood1 View Post
my 06 wildwood 27le fbss also trips the house gfi every time i plug it in. everything is fine when i plug it in to a non gfi plug. i've done (and checked) everything to figure out the problem but cant find anything.(everything works fine). i've asked a lot of people -everyone speculates but no one knows!!
simple solution: (everyone cringe) cut the ground prong off an extra extension cord and use it to plug into a gfi receptical - problem solved!!
GFCI's have built in monitoring circuitry - the way they work means they don't like being hooked downsteam from each other - it will usually cause nuisance trips - this is normal. In this case (and only this case) what you did with the cut off ground pin is still asfe because its GFCI protected. If fraction current goes to ground ( through someones body) it will trip (providing its maintained - test your gfci's regularly)

your friendlt neighborhood expensive sparky,

Rick

rick_h is offline   Reply With Quote