Old 07-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #1

2010 Wildwood Delamination Roof

We have owned our wildwood for about 4 months(original owner) and after our recent trip I unloaded our trailer and noticed as my wife was sliding in the slide there was some fabric on the top of the slide sticking up. We got a ladder and looked at the roof and the side of the roof and rubber roof was torn about 8 inches. We never noticed this before and it could have been smaller and gotten larger with the drive, but the rubber roof is separated from the plywood underlay. I looked over the entire roof and there are small delamination bubbles about every 5 feet or so on the entire roof. So I took it to our dealer which is Lazydays in Florida and the service advisor said they took pictures and sent them to FR. He said that in "his experience" they look like something tore it and FR will not cover this under warranty. I explained to him- Rich Figueroa- that nothing has touched the side of this RV and that is an obvious factory defect and should be covered under warranty. He stated again that "his experience" they will not cover.

Well, if something did touch the side, how does this explain the bubbles spaced entirely on the whole roof?

This is obvious a defect and the bonding material didn't stick to the tear in question. How can it stick to a curve on an edge when the bubbles don't stick to the flat roof?

I'm awaiting Lazydays response and FR is supposed to contact them to approve or deny.

By some of the comments on this forum, it seems that FR does cover and back their product and hopefully the service advisor doesn't know "his experience" to be correct.

I will update with further info for those with similar problems.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #2

In my similar experience, the dealership service advisor told me the same thing...he didn't believe that my delamination would be covered because the manufacturer considers this problem to be caused by lack of owner maintenance. My dealer happens to have a big body shop with a body shop manager. It was the body shop manager who worked with me to get FR to cover under warranty. I have been curious about this, wondering why the service advisor would be motivated to say what he said. Not only was he not very willing to assist, he was completely ill-informed as to the various warranty coverages. I knew he was ill-informed by reading posts on this forum.

My unit went back to FR yesterday and is supposed to be repaired under warranty on 7/26.

Good luck to you!!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #3

Thank you for your comments,
I really don't understand his comments either seeing that the delamination in also on the entire roof. I asked them to repair the tear as I will be needed the camper in two weeks time. How much does a tube of rubber roof cement cost...10 bucks at most. I understand when it comes to warranty work there is more to it than that, but now I am very frustrated by the accusations from their service advisor that we were the cause of the roof delam. The camper comes with a roof warranty and we are having problems 4 months into ownership. We use plain water and no abrasive cleaners and a microfiber mop to get the dust off the roof. I say dust, because we only owned this or 4 months and haven't accumulated the typical dirt that one would have over longer ownership.

So far this has been a very unpleasant first experience with the dealership and perhaps a different service advisor is better. For now, I'm awaiting a phone call as to the status of FR claim approve or deny. So far 2 days and no call.

Tom m.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear of your trouble.

From what you're describing, the tear is on the roof of the slide? Do you check and clean off the roof of the slide before you bring it in? A piece of branch could get caught in the seal and tear the roof when you bring the slide in.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_m View Post
Thank you for your comments,
I really don't understand his comments either seeing that the delamination in also on the entire roof. I asked them to repair the tear as I will be needed the camper in two weeks time. How much does a tube of rubber roof cement cost...10 bucks at most. I understand when it comes to warranty work there is more to it than that, but now I am very frustrated by the accusations from their service advisor that we were the cause of the roof delam. The camper comes with a roof warranty and we are having problems 4 months into ownership. We use plain water and no abrasive cleaners and a microfiber mop to get the dust off the roof. I say dust, because we only owned this or 4 months and haven't accumulated the typical dirt that one would have over longer ownership.

So far this has been a very unpleasant first experience with the dealership and perhaps a different service advisor is better. For now, I'm awaiting a phone call as to the status of FR claim approve or deny. So far 2 days and no call.

Tom m.
You can call FR direct at 574-642-2640 and ask for the warranty department. Make sure you have your VIN available. Tell them that your dealer sent pictures of the delam and you want to know if they will cover. That is exactly what I did last month. A guy by the name of Josh Temple looked at the pictures while I was on the phone and quickly agreed to cover repairs under warranty.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #6

Dave,
I should have been more clear on the location of the tear. It is located on the roof on a area above the slide section, but not on the slide. The rubber material in this area is very very thin. Probably on the order of 1 or 2 mil thickness. The tear occurred on the area that attaches to the water rail and goes towards the middle of the camper about 3 inches, and towards the rear about 7-8inches. Even the rubber roof further towards the middle of the camper didn't have any "stickiness" to adhere to the plywood underlayment. I'm going to give the dealer one more day to hear from FR, then I'm going to call myself if no response as I believe more so that this dealership is not following up as their advertising says they do.
Tom
Old 07-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #7

Thank you for the phone number as well.

Tags
wildwood