Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #1

Arrow 2011 Wildwood Xlite 28BHXL

Hi.

This model is new on the Xlite lineup for 2011. I just ordered a customized unit from RVW and should pick it up in about 4 weeks. It has pretty much all the amenities we were looking for our family of 4 (2 sons of 9 and 11). We liked the floorplan and the slideout was a big plus. It's also nice to have direct entry to the washroom from the outside (maybe my wife will let me go without taking my shoes off...). Only thing missing in IOHO is a cargo door by the bunk bed IPO a small bagage door...

I'm starting this topic so that anyone with the same trailer can comment on their experience, options they've taken, what they like or don't, etc.

Thanks for your inputs. I'll post my comments when I get the trailer.
Windshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #2

HI Windshift, welcome to the forum,

I just had to go take a look at the floorplan for the trailer as it sounded interesting. What a good layout. Generally a 2nd door on an RV is a waste of usable space but in this case the entry into the bathroom is a great idea. Will be great to get dirty kids/animals directly into the bathroom to clean up rather than tracking through the entire rig. I like it.

Congratulations on the new rig. The waiting is the hardest part now. If you have never bought a new RV before though I would caution that you not expect it to be perfect. Most all RVs have some issues that need to be worked through when they are new. Don't let flaws sour your experience if they arise.

Can't wait to see pictures of the new rig when you get it.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #3

Thanks Jeeper!

You might be happy to know that my tv is a Jeep, the grand cherokee diesel 08. I love it and am glad it can haul up to 7200lbs, wich gives us plenty of room with the new Wildwood tt.

Had a 21ft expandable FourWinds 2003 bought used 4 years ago. We really liked it BUT... We had recurrent water infiltration problems and decided it was enough. Enough money and time spent fixing this thing. We're fixing it a last time and are selling the problems to someone else . (Hopefully it will be fixed for good this time and the new owner won't have all the problems we've had).

That being said, the Wildwood is the first one we buy new. Hopefully the issues you're writing about will be minor. Thanks for the warning though. Hickups are less frustrating when they're expected.

I'll post pics as soon as I get our new vacation home.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #4

Although your Grand has the pulling power be sure you aren't exceeding the recommended length for wheelbase numbers. I think Mtnguy here has that chart. There is a huge difference in weight vs length. Although the trailer may be light enough it may be too long for that TV. Also be sure to check the tires as most SUVs are equipped with what amounts to "car" tires that don't have the sidewall strength for heavy towing. Hopefully you have already planned on a good WD hitch set up. Many here are much more knowledgeable about those than I am.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #5

The way the toilet is aligned, you'll have a great view if the door blows open while you're sitting in there. Not sure what kind of view the rest of the campground might have. LOL. Seriously, that outside door really is a good idea for the reasons previously stated. It really is a good floorplan.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Did I hear my name mentioned ??

Windshift, I do tend to be on the length police force here....just want people to be aware of suggested wheelbases and overall lengths of trailers. By the Forest River website, that trailer is 30' overall length. A good rule of thumb is to take the trailer length and multiply by 5, and that is the suggested minimum wheelbase of your tow vehicle in inches. In this case, a 150" wheelbase would probably be best to tow the Wildwood 28BH.

Here is the chart that NWJeeper was referring to with the 1st figure being the tow vehicle wheelbase, and the 2nd the total length of the trailer:

110" 20' ******* 150" 30'
114" 21' ******* 154" 31'
118" 22' ******* 158" 32'
122" 23' ******* 162" 33'
126" 24' ******* 166" 34'
130" 25' ******* 170" 35'
134" 26' ******* 174" 36'
138" 27' ******* 178" 37'
142" 28' ******* 182" 38'
146" 29' ******* 186" 39'

Forest River has should do a little tweaking on their website. That trailer is being shown with a dry weight of 5172 lbs., and a GVWR of 5270 for a grand total of 98 lbs. of cargo carrying capacity.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #7

You got me worried for a moment here with the wheelbase to trailer lenght ratio. Never thougt of that!

So I did a little bit of research and came up with some numbers.

A wheelbase of 110in (my Jeep) would allow only a maximum trailer lenght of 21ft... Digging a little more though led me to believe that this guideline is only to be taken for what it is: a guideline. Other considerations come into play.

An excellent sway control product will help mitigate problems associated with towing a trailer longer than what the guideline recommends.

I also learned that the distance between the tv's hitch and tv' rear axle (rear overhang) impacts sway. A Jeep or a Hummer make great tow vehicles because they have very little rear overhang compared to most pickup trucks and SUV's.

Last thing I read about is the impact the distance between the coupler and the trailer tires has on sway. The longer the better and less sway is created.

I am now aware that my trailer is longer than what would be ideal. I will drive accordingly. I will also have the Hitch Equalizer, one of the great weight transfer and dual sway control product on the market, from what I gathered.

I will know soon enough how it handles since I plan to pick up the trailer in Ohio and drive it some 750 miles back home to Canada... (We'll camp 2 nights on our way back ) I'll let you know if the handling is acceptable or if I have a brand new tt for sale...

Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 08-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
The way the toilet is aligned, you'll have a great view if the door blows open while you're sitting in there. Not sure what kind of view the rest of the campground might have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post

Forest River has should do a little tweaking on their website. That trailer is being shown with a dry weight of 5172 lbs., and a GVWR of 5270 for a grand total of 98 lbs. of cargo carrying capacity.
I noticed that as well. Forgot to ask about it. I'll let you know if get the info.

The chart I came across gave me an extra foot for 120" wheelbase but I'm still way over these recommendations. I hope that I'll be all right with the Hitch Equalizer.

I never thought I'd go that long to start with but wife got involved and demanded the extra space! And closed bedroom! And an extension! And bunks for the kids! And a couple more things! And no, she would not allow a pickup as our family vehicule...

Tags
28bh, wildwood