Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #1

2014 Heritage Glen 276QB?? HELP

Hey guys I am new to the RV world and looking to buy our first family camper. I found a used 2014 Heritage Glen 276QB on RVTrader from a private seller. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with that floorplan and can share some insight?
Also, being that I am new to the RV world, what should I look for when going to see this RV to see that its in good working condition. The pictures look as if its brand new but I know a lot can hide under the surface.

Any info is appreciated. Cant wait to join this camper community!
JMill62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMill62 View Post
Hey guys I am new to the RV world and looking to buy our first family camper. I found a used 2014 Heritage Glen 276QB on RVTrader from a private seller. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with that floorplan and can share some insight?

Also, being that I am new to the RV world, what should I look for when going to see this RV to see that its in good working condition. The pictures look as if its brand new but I know a lot can hide under the surface.

Any info is appreciated. Cant wait to join this camper community!

Yes everything always looks great in pictures. I would ask the seller to demonstrate everything, slides in and out, furnace, (a/c if he has 30amp/50amp power) etc. Walk around and check for soft spots in the floor ( water damage). If there's a ladder to the roof go up there and check the condition. Other then that ask a lot of questions and listen closely to his answers. Good luck and enjoy, this will be and exciting time for you and your family!!!!
JerseyVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:59 AM   #3

As JerseyVic said be sure to check the condition of the roof. There is a high probability that the 2014 trailer was actually built in 2013. Be sure to check how old the tires are by checking the DOT code on the sidewall. If the tires are 4 years old or more plan on replacing them soon (some will disagree with that). Also check the tires for any abnormal wear.

Check for any bulges or bubbles on the exterior of the trailer. This might indicate the beginning of delamination.

Meet the seller with his trailer at a campground with full hookups so you can test everything. Make the seller fills the fresh water holding tank with water and test the water pump. Make sure there is water in the water heater and test the electrical side of the water heater. If the hot water begins to get warm after 5 minutes turn the electrical side off and turn on the propane to see if it lights.

Open all cabinets and look for any discoloration that would indicate a water leak. Check all appliances for proper operation, the fridge, stove, oven, and microwave. Make sure the television and entertainment center work. Check all outlets for power, turn on all lights, turn on the air conditioner, turn on all water faucets, flush the toilet, turn off the air conditioner and turn on the furnace. If there are any powered roof vents be sure to check them.

Run plenty of water in the kitchen, bathroom, and toilet then go outside and dump those tanks to be sure everything is working properly. If the trailer has a black tank flush be sure to test that system.

I’m sure there are many things I’m forgetting but this list will get you started.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:02 AM   #4

Thanks guys this is very helpful info. He says he has a 30amp hookup at his house so I plan to test everything I can.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:08 PM   #5

Take a look at the date codes on the battery or batteries or ask if they are the original one(s). 3- to 4-year-old-batteries are probably ready for replacement.

Take a step-ladder with you. Some trailers don't have mounted ladfders to get to the roof, you DO want to look at the roof.

Look underneath the unit. Check for signs of water damage to the insulation/coroplast underneath, and while you are under there, look at the insides of the wheels/hubs for signs of grease, indicating that there might be a seal leaking. In any case, figure that you are going to have to have the wheels pulled and bearings re-packed or replaced along with seals (unless the seller has documentation of regular maintenance.)

Oakman's advice about meeting at a campground is spot on.

Good luck!
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:36 PM   #6

Go to this list in the Library:

Forest River Forums - Downloads - Miscellaneous Documents

About 5 items up from the bottom it says "PDI checklist." Download the list and take it with you and go through everything on the list.

Note that the list is for Hybrids (they have tent ends), so some things won't be applicable to your Heritage Glen, but it will cover almost everything.

You don't say what you intend to pull it with, but that's a pretty big 5th wheel. Hopefully you've got at least a 3/4 ton pickup.

I found some specs for it here: Heritage Glen 2014 276QB

Looks like the GVWR is about 11,686 lbs. (Ignore any mention of dry weight; that's for suckers. The rig hasn't weighed dry weight since it came off the assembly line!) There should be a white sticker on the left front of the rig that tells you the actual GVWR. Here's the one on my Mini Lite:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini Lite VIN sticker 2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	143618

Pin weight on that could be as high as 2,337 lbs (pin weight is usually around 20% of GVWR). That's a lot more payload than almost all 1/2 ton pickups can handle. Look on the drivers door frame of your truck for the payload. Here's my 2009 Silverado 1500's payload:

Name:	2009 Payload sticker #2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	143616

And here's my 2016 Silverado 2500 gasser's payload:

Name:	Payload 2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	143617

Your payload number has to be big enough to cover the pin weight, the 5th wheel hitch weight, and the weight of wife, kids, dog, and any other stuff you put in the truck.

Good luck.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Go to this list in the Library:

Forest River Forums - Downloads - Miscellaneous Documents

About 5 items up from the bottom it says "PDI checklist." Download the list and take it with you and go through everything on the list.

Note that the list is for Hybrids (they have tent ends), so some things won't be applicable to your Heritage Glen, but it will cover almost everything.

You don't say what you intend to pull it with, but that's a pretty big 5th wheel. Hopefully you've got at least a 3/4 ton pickup.

I found some specs for it here: Heritage Glen 2014 276QB

Looks like the GVWR is about 11,686 lbs. (Ignore any mention of dry weight; that's for suckers. The rig hasn't weighed dry weight since it came off the assembly line!) There should be a white sticker on the left front of the rig that tells you the actual GVWR. Here's the one on my Mini Lite:
Attachment 143618

Pin weight on that could be as high as 2,337 lbs (pin weight is usually around 20% of GVWR). That's a lot more payload than almost all 1/2 ton pickups can handle. Look on the drivers door frame of your truck for the payload. Here's my 2009 Silverado 1500's payload:
Attachment 143616

And here's my 2016 Silverado 2500 gasser's payload:
Attachment 143617

Your payload number has to be big enough to cover the pin weight, the 5th wheel hitch weight, and the weight of wife, kids, dog, and any other stuff you put in the truck.

Good luck.
Thanks for the great info. I also have a 2016 Chevy 2500 gasser so GVWR and payload shouldn't be a problem.
I'm going to look at his 5er this Sunday.

Tags